Side Mounted Garage Door Opener

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Weird question, I know. But I'm looking for people with side mounted garage door openers. Anyone have one? How do you like it? Easy to install?

Basically, my garage is weird and between the top of the door and the ceiling there is almost no space when the door is up. I can't install a conventional opener. I saw this: https://www.amazon.com/Liftmaster-8500-Mount-Garage-Opener/dp/B00BS28SP8 and I'm thinking it would work, but I'm hesitant as I don't know anyone using one of these.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
It wasn't bad, probably quieter than standard overhead opener. The one I saw wasn't a lift master though, it was more of a generic one.
My brother has one of the newer overhead ones and it's really quiet.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
It wasn't bad, probably quieter than standard overhead opener. The one I saw wasn't a lift master though, it was more of a generic one.

I wish I could run a conventional opener. So much cheaper, so many more options. :grayno:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I think a guy who I work with has a few on his garage and is happy with them. Does that work on a normal door? Cuz I may be interested myself as I loose a lot of room due to my old opener thats loud as shit.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
As long as you have the bar coming off the side, I'm pretty sure it'll work.

maxresdefault.jpg

So far, everything I read says people who have them, love them.

JK_BUB

I have one and love it. So much quieter, fewer moving parts, and takes up less room. I would never have anything else now that I've had one. Easiest one I ever installed too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

el_chupo_

Garage Journal has quite a bit of information on jackshaft openers, and the liftmaster 8500 specifically. Tons of good reports.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Will it work with a double width garage door?

Not sure, I would think so. From what I've read, it sounds like the torsion bars do most of the work as far as lifting.

I have one and love it. So much quieter, fewer moving parts, and takes up less room. I would never have anything else now that I've had one. Easiest one I ever installed too.

Good to know, I was concerned with how hard they are to install.

Garage Journal has quite a bit of information on jackshaft openers, and the liftmaster 8500 specifically. Tons of good reports.

I've been reading a lot about them on google, mostly everyone recommends the liftmaster 8500. That's probably what I'll end up buying

Top Bottom