Help! Leak at trans rubber grommet

USMC Wrangler

I removed the Rubi rock rails and noticed a wet spot on the front of the EVO trans skid. The leak appears to be coming from the top rear of the engine and running down. In addition to the leak, both tabs where the Protek skids attach are broken near the welds. (I'll be contacting EVO about that just to see about warranty) Engine oil shows full and I'm the only one that has ever serviced my Jeep. The substance feels oily but smells like nothing to me. It was hard to tell the color as it was mixed with dirt/dust.

Bottom of auto tranny
IMG_4239.jpg

IMG_4237.jpg

IMG_4238.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks!

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

WJCO

Meme King
I can't recall, but iirc, there is something back at the top of the motor like an oil cooler or oil sensor that is a somewhat common leak. Try to use a light and mirror to see if you can get closer to the source.

USMC Wrangler

rear main seal?

I certainly hope not...at 53000 miles.

I can't recall, but iirc, there is something back at the top of the motor like an oil cooler or oil sensor that is a somewhat common leak. Try to use a light and mirror to see if you can get closer to the source.

Ok. I didn't get much time to look. I was actually stunned to find the broken Protek skid and the leak all at once. It must not be a terrible leak. As mentioned, oil level is spot on. I'll dig around some more and see what I see. Thanks!

dirtdonthurt

My rear main leaked on my 2015 3 times. I chalked up the additional for improper install but still. That area can be oil or trans fluid. And the plastic oil cooler has broken when people torque the hell out of the plastic top. Hope you get it cleared up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

A little update...

I just spent an hour with a flashlight and mirror on the top and sides of the engine. I cannot locate the start of the suspected leak. The first sign of it is where the engine and transmission meet.

Engine oil shows full. Auto transmission shows full at operating temperature (checked after a 40 mile drive on the highway last night).

I've read where some people thought they had a leak because oil was spilled while pouring new oil in or while changing the filter. I run about 8000-10000 miles between changing oil and put a new filter in about halfway through that cycle. According to my notes, I changed filters last on 6/10. As I recall, when I swapped filters it was done while the engine was still somewhat warm. I did have quite a bit more oil in the filter and spilled some. I can only hope this is what I'm seeing!

The small "puddle" appears to be somewhat coated in dirt, but not as much as I would expect. But...I have parked in my driveway each night since the discovery and after plenty of driving and find no drops on the concrete. It does not look anymore wet than it did a couple days ago.

I hope to get the pressure washer out in the next week or so and see if I can track this down.

aesvsr

If it's on the backside of the engine you might want to consider the oil filter housing. I had to replace it on my 2014. The part isn't expensive, but it's a pain to change. Especially, when it's just the seal that needs to be replaced.

USMC Wrangler

If it's on the backside of the engine you might want to consider the oil filter housing. I had to replace it on my 2014. The part isn't expensive, but it's a pain to change. Especially, when it's just the seal that needs to be replaced.

How bad was your leak? In other words, would your dipstick still show full? If it's leaking on mine, it's very little. Still nothing showing on the driveway this morning to indicate it's still leaking anything.

aesvsr

I had similar issues like you were describing. Oil level was always good with periodically spotting on the driveway. After going to the shop a few times they lucky hired someone that worked at Jeep and he told me that it was a pretty common issues on wranglers and he did few of them a month.

aesvsr

I had to buy the part from Jeep and I want to say it was around $100. Unfortunately, you have to buy the whole housing as it is one kit even though the manual breaks it down into multiple parts.

USMC Wrangler

I had similar issues like you were describing. Oil level was always good with periodically spotting on the driveway. After going to the shop a few times they lucky hired someone that worked at Jeep and he told me that it was a pretty common issues on wranglers and he did few of them a month.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. BTW, welcome to WAL! :standing wave:

Frydaddy

Is your jeep a 2014? Its the Oil filter/cooler housing.

"2014+ JKs Most filters use code Fram CH11665, K&N PS-7026 Purolator L36296,​
Some people have seen oil stains at the rear of the bell housing. If you follow the stain up, it will go between the valve covers, under the intake plenum, and straight to the oil cooler manifold. This is a trend with 2014 Jeeps specifically. This oil cooler is a part of the filter housing, not cheap, and not easy to replace either.​
(2014 oil cooler/filter housing 68105583AA) I believe they're up to revision E now (Last Letter)"

Even if its not a 2014, still worth a look behind the filter housing at the cooler. Aparrently the part is about $80 now, so its cheaper, but you still have to remove a bunch of junk to get to it.

CarolinaJK

Mine just started doing this as well. I'll be taking it into Jeep soon since it's still under warranty. I'll keep you updated on what it was.

Attachments

• IMG_3572.jpg
    IMG_3572.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 57

USMC Wrangler

I'm not sure how I missed your replies. Sorry fellas...

Silly idea. Put white paper under the drip & see what it is. That looks about the same place where I drip water from the AC. Back of the engine towards the driver side.

It's not dripping to the ground but staying on the EVO transmission skid. It appears to be oil by color and feel. It has moved just a few inches back since I first noticed it. All fluids show full.

Is your jeep a 2014? Its the Oil filter/cooler housing.

"2014+ JKs Most filters use code Fram CH11665, K&N PS-7026 Purolator L36296,​
Some people have seen oil stains at the rear of the bell housing. If you follow the stain up, it will go between the valve covers, under the intake plenum, and straight to the oil cooler manifold. This is a trend with 2014 Jeeps specifically. This oil cooler is a part of the filter housing, not cheap, and not easy to replace either.​
(2014 oil cooler/filter housing 68105583AA) I believe they're up to revision E now (Last Letter)"

Even if its not a 2014, still worth a look behind the filter housing at the cooler. Aparrently the part is about $80 now, so its cheaper, but you still have to remove a bunch of junk to get to it.

Mine is a 2013, but I think I'm going to have to dive into this more. My local dealership just changed owners, so I may give them a shot again.

Mine just started doing this as well. I'll be taking it into Jeep soon since it's still under warranty. I'll keep you updated on what it was.

Any update on yours? Sorry to hear it's happening to you too.

AZ TAKO

I'm not sure how I missed your replies. Sorry fellas...

It's not dripping to the ground but staying on the EVO transmission skid. It appears to be oil by color and feel. It has moved just a few inches back since I first noticed it. All fluids show full.

Mine is a 2013, but I think I'm going to have to dive into this more. My local dealership just changed owners, so I may give them a shot again.

Any update on yours? Sorry to hear it's happening to you too.

Same thing happened to mine and after looking at everything recommended in Wayalife I took it to the shop.. Turns out it was the rear transmission seal that was bad.. Hope that helps

Top Bottom