Shop heating options and opinions

desertrunner

So just tossing this question out there while I start researching some heating options for my garage. Today I just ripped out a really old poorly made DIY double barrel stove out of my garage in the house we just bought and I'm looking for a new heating solution.

In my opinion I feel like a wood burning stove to replace the one I just ripped out would be kinda a pain, only for the fact that I don't really want to have to tend a fire while I'm trying to work out in the garage. I have a roughly 700 square ft non insulated garage in great falls MT so I'll be seeing negative tempts for sure.

I started looking at some electric ceiling mounted options and found a few that look like they should be able to keep my garage in the 50s when it's negative outside which would be great but I'm going to have to get some electrical work done for a 240v outlet to be put in and then the obvious electricity costs of running it in the winter. I am also in the military so going with that option whatever I install will be staying with the house when I leave and I'll only get about 3 yrs of use out of it.... which had me thinking maybe go with a portable karocene option?

Just curious what you guys are using for shop heaters and the pros and cons of them
Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Man I'm a sucker for a wood burning stove. You really think you'll be tending to it a lot? All stoves I've dealt with are good to go for a good bit and can even get too hot sometime. Plus taking a quick coffee break and throwing in a log isn't a pain.

If you just don't want to go that route my buddy has a ceiling mounted electric unit that puts out a good amount of heat. I'll find out what kind it is.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I've seen a lot of shops that have heaters burning waste engine oil. Not sure how cost efficient that would be if you aren't doing a lot of maintenance with used engine oil though.

propane torpedo heater, always kept me toasty warm, never dry though as the snow always melts off the cars in the garage and i get to lay in a puddle... win some lose some.

deadguy

You can see my 240v electric heater in the top of the photo. It does great for a non isulated concrete floor garage. In the dead of nj winter it makes it warm enough to wear a long sleeve shirt or sweatshirt and still be comfortable IMG_20170120_131204842.jpg

sent from a guy with a Jeep

scull20

I've seen a lot of shops that have heaters burning waste engine oil. Not sure how cost efficient that would be if you aren't doing a lot of maintenance with used engine oil though.

....if I use all my used motor oil for heating, then what am I supposed to use for coating my frame to prevent rust?

I've got one of those propane heaters that do the job just fine in the garage. I run it for 20 min or so, then shut it off until I need to warm up again.

desertrunner

propane torpedo heater, always kept me toasty warm, never dry though as the snow always melts off the cars in the garage and i get to lay in a puddle... win some lose some.

what size propane heater do you have?

i was looking at one from home depot thats only $100 and has variable output so i dont blow though propane like crazy. Not sure how well or fast they will heat up a 750 sq ft garage from -20 though

Uhh. It's not that big. I don't remember the btu off hand, it's about a foot and a half long tube so not the biggest within 15-20 minutes I'm down to a t shirt in winter.

I think I went through one tank when I pulled and rebuilt and reinstalled the trans in my explorer. Probly 4ish days. I don't run it continuously. Not worried about fumes, garage has those little vent things in the roof and is far from airtight.

desertrunner

Any concerns with burning propane in an enclosed spaces? Or do you guys mitigate that somehow?

the homedepot propane torpedo says its safe for indoor use :idontknow: i use my little camping propane heater inside my tent (says its safe to do so), i dont think it will hurt ya like a kerosene one might.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I have run torpedoes, Kerosene, electric, propane etc. my go to now is one of those umbrella shaped patio heaters. I like the radiant heat, and it's silent. Really does a surprisingly good job keeping my 2 car T-Shirt comfortable [emoji106].

Labricon

Caught the Bug
In my garage (24X24 r15 walls and R30 ceiling) I use a construction heater on 240 outlet and have a fan from an older furnace up in one corner to move the air around which helps keep the floor dry from melting snow. I generally do not heat the garage unless I am going out to work (keeps bills down) and even in -35C (-31F) it only takes about an hour to have me working without a jacket.
In my wife's garage (14X26 R12 walls and R24 ceiling) i have two 4foot electric baseboard heaters on an thermostat with a ceiling fan to keep the air moving.
Both have insulated doors and double pane windows.

desertrunner

In my garage (24X24 r15 walls and R30 ceiling) I use a construction heater on 240 outlet and have a fan from an older furnace up in one corner to move the air around which helps keep the floor dry from melting snow. I generally do not heat the garage unless I am going out to work (keeps bills down) and even in -35C (-31F) it only takes about an hour to have me working without a jacket.
In my wife's garage (14X26 R12 walls and R24 ceiling) i have two 4foot electric baseboard heaters on an thermostat with a ceiling fan to keep the air moving.
Both have insulated doors and double pane windows.
Damn what a set up I wish I had 2 garages that size!
Someone tried to put up insulation in part of my garage before we bought it and it's all falling apart, I thought about trying to insulate and finish it but I have a whole shelving system in half of it that I don't want to tear down. I think I'm gonna run my camping propane heater this winter and just see how it goes. And I don't have 240 in my garage so I would need to get that run or just go with another option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Desertman

I don’t have that issue still 35c at the end of October. But I would love a garage with Ac in the summer when it hits 55c. I get about an hour of wrenching time when the sun comes up.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
If you have natural gas available, I'd do a ceiling mounted heater with a thermostat. I think NG would be cheaper than electric in the winter?

Top Bottom