Creaking clutch cable/mechanism

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I've owned my JKUR for 7 years now and dealt with an off and on (sometimes loud) creaking sound from my clutch engagement mechanism. It is a manual and the creaking only occurs when I'm pushing down and releasing the clutch pedal. The sound is not coming from the pedal itself, but from the some where else. I've done a lot of work to my rig over the years and I can't seem to find the source and correct this creaking sound.

I've read a few posts where members have said they have fixed it, but they never explained where exactly the sound was coming from and where to apply the lubricant, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
-Matt

'07 JKUR

scotilac

I had this issue. It’s the throw out bearing. The thing that sucks is that once it’s replaced the noise comes back fairly quickly. If you check other forums there is lots of threads on this. He manual tranny’s on these things are loud and clunky. I bet that if you put your Jeep in neutral and let you clutch out you hear a terrible noise under the Jeep. Push the clutch in and it goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I had this issue. It’s the throw out bearing. The thing that sucks is that once it’s replaced the noise comes back fairly quickly. If you check other forums there is lots of threads on this. He manual tranny’s on these things are loud and clunky. I bet that if you put your Jeep in neutral and let you clutch out you hear a terrible noise under the Jeep. Push the clutch in and it goes away.

Thank you for letting me know. I wouldn't have thought about the throw out bearing... So does the creaking sound mean that it is bad? Aside from the sound, the clutch works well. I really don't want to drop the transmission, replace the T/O bearing just for the creaking to come back shortly thereafter...

'07 JKUR

scotilac

I would say no but others say yes. Mine made that noise from new and I didn’t change it till 50,000km. With in 3,000km the noise came back. I’m just chalking it up to a Jeep thing. I don’t think I’d by another manual Jeep again though.

MikesJeep

I have the same problem. Especially after a run. It seems to be intermittent but when it's there, you know.

A Simple Man with a Complicated Jeep.

sassmouth

When i had issues with my TOB it rattled. I have had the TOB replaced twice, once during the first clutch replacement and again during my second clutch replacement that i completed myself. Once replaced, the rattling didnt come back. I dont know what would creak on the TOB itself. The TOB does slide on shaft via. the fork pivot. The shaft and ends of the fork are supposed to be lubricated. If you to were remove the slave cylinder you could check on the conditions of things by renting a borescope from home depot.

Are you on your original clutch?

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
When i had issues with my TOB it rattled. I have had the TOB replaced twice, once during the first clutch replacement and again during my second clutch replacement that i completed myself. Once replaced, the rattling didnt come back. I dont know what would creak on the TOB itself. The TOB does slide on shaft via. the fork pivot. The shaft and ends of the fork are supposed to be lubricated. If you to were remove the slave cylinder you could check on the conditions of things by renting a borescope from home depot.

Are you on your original clutch?

As far as I know I am on the original clutch. The creaking noise has been present off and on since I bought it in 2010. It had one previous owner before then and I bought it at a dealership in CT so I never met the first owner. Aside from the creaking from time to time the clutch works well.

I've replaced clutches on some of my past vehicles (1997 XJ, a Ford Mustang and a Honda CRX) in the past. I have the ability to replace it if needed, but I really don't think the TOB is not functioning correctly.

I can see it being a lack of lubrication, but I'm not sure how I would access the shaft and/or fork without dropping/splitting the transmission.

'07 JKUR

sassmouth

As far as I know I am on the original clutch. The creaking noise has been present off and on since I bought it in 2010. It had one previous owner before then and I bought it at a dealership in CT so I never met the first owner. Aside from the creaking from time to time the clutch works well.

I've replaced clutches on some of my past vehicles (1997 XJ, a Ford Mustang and a Honda CRX) in the past. I have the ability to replace it if needed, but I really don't think the TOB is not functioning correctly.

I can see it being a lack of lubrication, but I'm not sure how I would access the shaft and/or fork without dropping/splitting the transmission.

'07 JKUR

Removing the slave cylinder would allow you to move the fork manually. You would be able to lube the slave end of the fork and potentially the shaft using a bent hanger wire. Lubing the TOB slide surface on the shaft will not be easy but at least you wouldnt have to drop the trans.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
If it is coming from under the Jeep then I'd say it is most likely the TOB like others have said. I've never had that problem, but I have had creaking coming from above the pedal where it goes through the firewall. Doing a fluid flush and putting in all new synthetic brake/clutch fluid fixed it for me. Doesn't hurt to try if you've got a noisy clutch.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
If it is coming from under the Jeep then I'd say it is most likely the TOB like others have said. I've never had that problem, but I have had creaking coming from above the pedal where it goes through the firewall. Doing a fluid flush and putting in all new synthetic brake/clutch fluid fixed it for me. Doesn't hurt to try if you've got a noisy clutch.

I looked at the pedal and that linkage and it wasn't the source. It is coming from under the Jeep.

'07 JKUR

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Removing the slave cylinder would allow you to move the fork manually. You would be able to lube the slave end of the fork and potentially the shaft using a bent hanger wire. Lubing the TOB slide surface on the shaft will not be easy but at least you wouldnt have to drop the trans.

Sassmouth, thank you for the suggestion! If I get the time this weekend I will look into pulling the slave cylinder.

'07 JKUR

Clowe

As others have said I think it is most likely your TOB. I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. I've heard that TOB. I have heard that they can last a couple thousand miles or 75,000 it hit and miss. My main concern is it would seize and ruin the input shaft. If you do replace the slave cylinder I'd buy a cheap lighted bora scope and inspect it then. IMG_20170812_143916_458.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using WAYALIFE mobile app

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
The sound went away (again) about 5 days ago so I did not take off the slave cylinder this weekend.

When it starts up again or if I just have the time to do it, I will and try to post up some pictures to share with everyone who is also having this intermittent problem. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on a borescope so I can really look at the TOB and the input shaft.

'07 JKUR

Top Bottom