I could use some help. Newbie

frow

Hello All. First off thank you ahead of time. I just purchased a used 2014 Unlimited Rubicon. It has stock wheels and tires. I am concerned about off-roading with it as the axle looks pretty low. I notice that a lot of owners lift the vehicle and add larger tires mainly 33's or 35's. I have an automatic so it has the 3.73 gearing. If you were in my situation and wanted to add a lift and a new tires and wheels would you have any suggestions? I would prefer do not break the bank and not have to update major components such as brakes, shocks, etc. unless that is my only option. I don't plan on doing any rock climbing just basic off road trails at this time until the budget allows for more mods. Also will be driving this vehicle on the road the majority of the time. Thank you again.

sparks

Welcome and Congrats!

You'd be surprised at how capable the stock Jeep is, especially a rubicon. I would Take it out a few times off-road before spending a bunch of money.

My JKU Sport is still "stock" in the suspension and tire department and I have no problem getting over or through just about anything I come across.

Just my 2¢

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
If you have a Rubicon you have 4.10 gears. Depending on the elevation you live at, it might be comfortable with 35s. You can run 35s on factory suspension if you are willing to trim your factory fender flares.

WJCO

Meme King
You can run 33s with trimmed fenders. Throw on a skid or 2 and call it good. Get out and see what your jeep can do.

jesse3638

Hooked
If you have a Rubicon you have 4.10 gears. Depending on the elevation you live at, it might be comfortable with 35s. You can run 35s on factory suspension if you are willing to trim your factory fender flares.

Not with an auto. 2012 and up started coming stock with 3.73's on the auto. You had to pay to change them to 4.10's. The manual trans comes stock with 4.10's

As mentioned take it out stock and see what it can do. You'll be surprised! Welcome to WAL!

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Not with an auto. 2012 and up started coming stock with 3.73's on the auto. You had to pay to change them to 4.10's. The manual trans comes stock with 4.10's

As mentioned take it out stock and see what it can do. You'll be surprised! Welcome to WAL!

My 2014 automatic had 4.10 gears.

OP, email Chrysler asking for a 'build sheet' of your jeep. This way you'll know for sure.

Ddays

Hooked
Don't sell your stock Jeep short! After all, they don't name the top model after that famous trail in the Sierra Nevada for nothing. Unless you have some ideas in minded already I'd suggest wheeling it stock for now until you get an idea where you want your build to end up. Take it from someone with experience, throwing money at parts and then replacing them when you realize you want to go in a different direction sucks. If you really want to change it up right away I'd stick to a 2.5" budget boost & maybe some 33 or 35" tires to start, add some gussets to your inner C's and work your way up from there

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
It sounds like you don't have a lot of experience of road so I'd say just run it as is for now. You won't hurt anything.

I ran my rubicon stock for 12 months and did some pretty decent trails without any issues at all. I should also point out that over here rubicon's come with 31s not 32s like you get in the states.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
IMG_5518.jpg

Stock Rubicon is pretty dang capable. I've done Gold Mountain here in Big Bear and just did Cleghorn in my stock Rubicon. I was able to do pretty much everything the lifted/modified jeeps were able to do. So long as you have some sort of rock sliders (stock sliders work well) you'll be fine.

jeeeep

Hooked
Hello All. First off thank you ahead of time. I just purchased a used 2014 Unlimited Rubicon. It has stock wheels and tires. I am concerned about off-roading with it as the axle looks pretty low. I notice that a lot of owners lift the vehicle and add larger tires mainly 33's or 35's. I have an automatic so it has the 3.73 gearing. If you were in my situation and wanted to add a lift and a new tires and wheels would you have any suggestions? I would prefer do not break the bank and not have to update major components such as brakes, shocks, etc. unless that is my only option. I don't plan on doing any rock climbing just basic off road trails at this time until the budget allows for more mods. Also will be driving this vehicle on the road the majority of the time. Thank you again.

depends on where you plan to go 0ff-road and what the obstacles are like.

I took my 2010 bone stock 2 weeks after I bought it to Moab EJS - there were some obstacles I questioned but it handled them fine.

Now that I'm on 37's and lifted I will say those obstacles when stock seem like nothing now.

In stock form it's really capable. A lift only allows you to put a taller tire on the axle - that's where you gain your clearance.

take it out learn and IMO most important, learn how to use your 4wd system wisely - too much throttle can empty your wallet in a hurry with repair bills.

also some guys don't seem to understand, a Jeep is not a boat and mud kills.

Last edited:

black pearl

Hooked
Like others have said wheel it stock. I put my factory rubicon skids to good use before I lifted and got 35s. Pick good lines to keep the diff safe and have fun with it, you'll be amazed at what it can do

Tanktitan

This is another vote for keeping it stock until you find that it cannot do what you want to do. It can do a lot! I took my bone stock JKRU to Arizona and Moab when it was new and had a blast. I got a lot of scrapes on my skid plates, which is what they are for. I don't know how much armor you have but look into this first. Then add some personal recovery gear if you are out alone. Then go have fun. It is an amazingly capable machine.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
I would say leave it how it is and maybe run a leveling kit. It is going to be more than capable for what you need right now and that way you can save up to buy what you want the first time. Unless you come across some absolutely smoking deal on a lift kit and wheels and tires I would leave it as is until you can decide.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom