I installed a 10.1 inch Android head unit

Mike-Mike

So first off I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Freedom Edition. I originally had the base audio system with the 430N. I hated everything about that setup. I replaced the speakers with the Mopar Kicker 77Kick10, and on the dash I added the Quadratec Super Tweeters. For a sub, I added a powered sub from the Kicker VSS line.

So head unit-wise, I tried 2 different Joying head units (Chinese reseller with full Android), then my last one shit the bed on me. The company was cool about it and replaced it with a better unit. But that takes time to discuss over e-mail due to the time zone difference and the language barrier. So in the time in-between my old Joying dying and getting a new improved Joying, i tried to different radios.

One was the Sony XAV-XA100, which does Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. And the other was a different Chinese reseller, Seicane, that had a unit that looked much better in the dash, it replaces most of the upper front dash so it looks like it is built into the Jeep. I originally saw it on their website, but was unsure of the company. Then I saw the Adventure Dex video and figured I would give it a shot.

I got an Android 6.0 unit (they have a newer 7.1 unit up now that is better, which annoys me). Shipping was $80, and it took about 11 days from Hong Kong to KY. I also paid an extra $28 to upgrade the RAM to 2GB.

it comes in an insanely big box:

a955bb2b45ff3816516edc5d29b25304.jpg

Opened up:

a23f49db33e56e73f77d1d09ab2df20d.jpg

c3a20c916f90e3ffcecfafd9bb38ba80.jpg

1aef4172505bdf7cfa1706f9a4eb74fc.jpg

acf9de2735ff303984aa10061805aeef.jpg

477a452646a713eef354861f555b9059.jpg

b0a75ae9059a04629f7e9e4132846c76.jpg

c5bbeff6e6dd54fce9f3a12f9a5bd630.jpg

5f6eca5969442c670314ab35c3ccbaf9.jpg

installed:

223fff73f87d9b7ed83f5175828a0af0.jpg

21db73aec2a1d25daed86a05d995aa36.jpg

6dcbb813bd022bc4d348c7bd239be5f5.jpg

using a different launcher:

04f037d9d7569934dd24d144a639d578.jpg

5543dc8f82641f58054c34752d8d5999.jpg

Here is the music player using MP3s on a USB, weird how some and some did not show album art

0fd7a13a972cc0ef7c8798231a3f0ef3.jpg

Here is the video player playing music videos from the same USB

40528f536e439d27cba113de76d76131.jpg

f5cf5653183f6c9b1b8bc75ffec7b816.jpg

556616d97720592c48b3cb2faf867bd4.jpg

My unit does not have a MicroSD card slot, but as you can see in this screen shot it appears to have the SD card icon for my Samsung thumb drive. The name is "Samsung USB", but that is just what I named it.

Google Play Music and Google Maps both recognized it as external storage like they would with a MicroSD

45465971663f6871706993a8172b2ed7.jpg

The install was a pain in the ass, but it is more or less plug and play, it was just difficult getting those 3 pieces in at once.

Mike-Mike

The wiring harness is plug and play, so all the steering wheel controls work with no setup required:

left rear side buttons:
track forward
mute
track back

right rear side:
volume up
source change
volume down

front buttons:
VR = mute
phone = opens up phone app.

the only issue is you can't change them to anything

Mike-Mike

That came out really nice. Hows the screen look in the sun?:thumb:

For me it looks fine, however I do have 35% ceramic tint on all the sides and back, and 80% on the front. I will say I think the screen looks better on this Seicane than the other ones I have used, not sure if it is a placebo effect or not. However I feel like it looks better than my Joying and definitely my old Sony.

Mike-Mike

Nice write up!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

thanks, when I started looking for these things, I could never find any information. It was exactly what I was looking for, but it was weird ordering from China, and I didnt know how things would work, so after having over a year experience with these things, I try to post as much as I can about them

Scrambler

thanks, when I started looking for these things, I could never find any information. It was exactly what I was looking for, but it was weird ordering from China, and I didnt know how things would work, so after having over a year experience with these things, I try to post as much as I can about them

I've ordered a few things from China. Multiple flashlights and some rock lights. It makes me laugh when I get the tracking information and the date of delivery is a month out. I've been spoiled by Amazon prime.

Mike-Mike

How is the signal quality ?

fun fact, I forgot I had a Wayalife account, I created one in 2015 when I was looking at what subwoofer to get, and that is what lead me back to here now, I was searching for information on my Kicker system and Google showed me my own post:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/35248-Subwoofer-setup?p=722365#post722365

So that being said, I hated the sound with the 430N, even with the 77KICK10 and the Kicker SWRA411 sub. I was really defeated, then when I replaced the 430N with my first Joying, it sounded fantastic. I was so happy with my setup. My brother in law has the Alpine, and I think mine sounds as good, with more bass.

but then when that unit died, I got the Sony XAV-XA100, and it blew my mind. It REALLY brought my sound system to life. I also have a 2015 Chrysler 300c with the Harman Kardon system (19 speakers, 900 watts) and I really think my system with the Sony blew it away. but I didn't care for the limitations of Android Auto.

So the point of all that is, now, I feel like the Seicane sound is lacking, since I had the Sony. If i had never had the Sony, I would probably think my Seicane sounded awesome. My plan at this point is to add a Kicker multi-channel amp/dsp to update my SWRA411 to the full Kicker PWRA415. Which is what I was Googling that led me to find my Wayalife account

What about Sirius/XM?

You cannot have Sirius/XM in the standard way. you have full access to the Play Store, so you could download the Sirius XM app, and as long as you have data (i have a hotspot) then you could access it that way.

or you could buy a standalone sirius unit, and run it through the Aux in

Link to radio?

I originally had links to the unit and my install, but I was told to take those down

Mike-Mike

I've ordered a few things from China. Multiple flashlights and some rock lights. It makes me laugh when I get the tracking information and the date of delivery is a month out. I've been spoiled by Amazon prime.

that is what led me to pull the trigger on my original Joying. It was on Amazon, and it was Prime. So I ordered it and then once I got it up and running, I fell in love with Android in the dash. Since then I have ordered from Joying and Seicane, but being on Amazon is what really sold it for me that first time

OhNoTheJiggies

looks pretty good... for those people that just want to get a JL because of the 8.4" touchscreen can just do this and be good to go lol.

And good on you for not bitching out when the whole thing was mentioned about the youtube links and the forum rules.

Mike-Mike

And good on you for not bitching out when the whole thing was mentioned about the youtube links and the forum rules.

thanks, looking back I can see how it might of looked spammy.

I promise it isn't.

I just wanted to post the install video, because it was kind of a pain in the ass. The video demonstrates that much better than I can explain it via typed text. However, in the end it is kind of worth it.

For me, I love the Android setup, but I understand it is not for everyone. For me, I use Google Maps for navigation, sometimes Waze. With Google Maps you can download your whole city or state and you can use them offline.

For music I use Google Play Music. I am a paid subscriber, so I can download all of my playlists. I have about 40 GB on my microsd card.

I do have a hotspot (T-Mobile SyncUp Drive) but I think downloading all of that helps it run smoother. The data allows me to get updates, get traffic info, get weather updates, and search for songs on demand.

It also works with my BrandMotion backup camera. Which was also overpriced but I like how it mounts on the spare, I have had it for over a year with no issues, and it worked with my 430N, 3 different Joyings, the Sony, and now my Seicane.

10abadilla/jk

So first off I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Freedom Edition. I originally had the base audio system with the 430N. I hated everything about that setup. I replaced the speakers with the Mopar Kicker 77Kick10, and on the dash I added the Quadratec Super Tweeters. For a sub, I added a powered sub from the Kicker VSS line.

So head unit-wise, I tried 2 different Joying head units (Chinese reseller with full Android), then my last one shit the bed on me. The company was cool about it and replaced it with a better unit. But that takes time to discuss over e-mail due to the time zone difference and the language barrier. So in the time in-between my old Joying dying and getting a new improved Joying, i tried to different radios.

One was the Sony XAV-XA100, which does Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. And the other was a different Chinese reseller, Seicane, that had a unit that looked much better in the dash, it replaces most of the upper front dash so it looks like it is built into the Jeep. I originally saw it on their website, but was unsure of the company. Then I saw the Adventure Dex video and figured I would give it a shot.

I got an Android 6.0 unit (they have a newer 7.1 unit up now that is better, which annoys me). Shipping was $80, and it took about 11 days from Hong Kong to KY. I also paid an extra $28 to upgrade the RAM to 2GB.

it comes in an insanely big box:

View attachment 274548

Opened up:

View attachment 274549

View attachment 274550

View attachment 274551

View attachment 274552

View attachment 274553

View attachment 274554

View attachment 274555

View attachment 274556

installed:

View attachment 274557

View attachment 274559

View attachment 274560

using a different launcher:

View attachment 274558

View attachment 274561

Here is the music player using MP3s on a USB, weird how some and some did not show album art

View attachment 274562

Here is the video player playing music videos from the same USB

View attachment 274563

View attachment 274564

View attachment 274565

My unit does not have a MicroSD card slot, but as you can see in this screen shot it appears to have the SD card icon for my Samsung thumb drive. The name is "Samsung USB", but that is just what I named it.

Google Play Music and Google Maps both recognized it as external storage like they would with a MicroSD

View attachment 274566

The install was a pain in the ass, but it is more or less plug and play, it was just difficult getting those 3 pieces in at once.
One question. Did you have to install the plastic trim piece at the cluster. Or did you only use the head unit piece?

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mike-Mike

One question. Did you have to install the plastic trim piece at the cluster. Or did you only use the head unit piece?

You have to install that, but first you have to use a dremmel or something to get trim the large piece in the back off you can see it still attached in the unbox pics.

Then all three of those pieces (instrument cluster, head unit, and top part) all have to Tetris together to get installed. That was a big pain the ass. It didn't fit quite right, then it would fall apart, and then like magic suddenly it all worked. But there was probably an hour of trying to get it to work.

10abadilla/jk

You have to install that, but first you have to use a dremmel or something to get trim the large piece in the back off you can see it still attached in the unbox pics.

Then all three of those pieces (instrument cluster, head unit, and top part) all have to Tetris together to get installed. That was a big pain the ass. It didn't fit quite right, then it would fall apart, and then like magic suddenly it all worked. But there was probably an hour of trying to get it to work.
Ok. Well you did a good job. It looks awesome. I have been considering a new head unit. I may have to look into this.

Mike-Mike

Ok. Well you did a good job. It looks awesome. I have been considering a new head unit. I may have to look into this.

thanks, my previous unit was a Joying. First it was the one that went in the dash and looked stock, but I wanted a bigger screen. So i got the 8 inch version and it looked like a tablet slapped on the dash. i didnt think much of it, but as soon as I got the Seicane installed, all of my regular passengers would immediately tell me how much better it looked and how they didn't like the tablet look

Rb1boxer_3

Awesome I few guys in my club around here have it. I wanted it at first until they said it didn't have a volume knob, no disc port lol and a few little other things I can't remember. It really is nice but like you said your sony head unit made the system sound much better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mike-Mike

Well the Sony did sound better, but I think people who have the Alpine don't notice any sound difference

I am going to try and put an amplifier in and see how it goes

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I originally had links to the unit and my install, but I was told to take those down

Actually you had links to your YouTube channel trying to solicit views and subscribers along with a coupon code to some vendor so you could get a kickback. Not hardly the same as a link to the unit itself.

And I deleted the links for you, you did not.

Top Bottom