Daily Tires

Zephyr206

I have a 04 Rubicon that I run about 90 miles daily and I would like some thoughts on tire choices. Current set-up is 2.5" lift other than that stock. I do have a set of JK 17's as well to throw some other ideas on the table.

I read Eddie talking in some other post about the Toyo MT's being nice on the road, and STT Pro's being better most other places.

Which tire out of everything on the market do you guys suggest for the best of everything with a ton of highway time?

Secondly if the Toyo MT's are in the running. What's the thoughts on pizza cutters, 255/85R16's? As well any size preferences of 285's, 305's, or even 315's?

What about an A/T? Ridge Grapplers and KO2's may be practical but I'm concerned with getting in a situation where I wish I would of had a MT. Though I'm not 100% either direction. And if the Ridge Grapplers are good choice, what's the thoughts on running the JK 17's with wheel spacers/hub conversation?

I know that's a lot of questions and I greatly appreciate all the help!👍

WJCO

Meme King
BFG AT KO2s. Great all around tire. 315s with spacers. That's what I would do if I were in your shoes.

BobNH

I have an 08 rubicon, and have put 24k on it my first year of owning it. I have narrowed down my next tire to pretty much what wjco said. It looks to be a great all around tire, and is available in 34x10.5x17. If mud terrain is your preference, I loved my 33" km2's on my tj. Far superior to my prior mtr/k's. Hated those.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jknikos

I had 35s KOs (fist gen) and they just never wear out!!! You can get a ton of miles out of them. I bet KO2s are even better. The only downside is that they are terrible in mud (which we have a lot here).

Sent from my LG-D855 using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Vote for ridge grapps. Silent on road. Amazing grip off road. Haven't found a situation where I couldn't get traction yet. Running them in a 37.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Really any AT will accomplish what your looking for especially since you live in Texas where your not gonna see snow or to much mud that it would get you stuck.

If you plan on wheeling with them then a hybrid tire like the ridge grapp and the k02 will work perfectly. Really comes down to cost and what you think looks better as they will both perform very similar

WiscoHR

I'd go with Cooper ST Maxx. It's a great all around tire. I've ran them on a few vehicles and about to put a set on my Rubicon that came off the wife's 4Runner I just sold.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Breer

Caught the Bug
Went with KO2's myself. I figure for daily driving and the occasional trail I'd get the most out of an AT. They are quiet and will last much longer than a MT. They come highly recommended by everyone here and I haven't heard really anything negative about them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Zephyr206

Really any AT will accomplish what your looking for especially since you live in Texas where your not gonna see snow or to much mud that it would get you stuck.

If you plan on wheeling with them then a hybrid tire like the ridge grapp and the k02 will work perfectly. Really comes down to cost and what you think looks better as they will both perform very similar

Haha! Spend some time in the Texas Panhandle during the winter, you will think you're still in PA. Plenty of mud and snow.

Vote for ridge grapps. Silent on road. Amazing grip off road. Haven't found a situation where I couldn't get traction yet. Running them in a 37.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

So the Ridge Grapplers are only offered in a 17 and up rim size and there are fewer and fewer options for a TJ's bolt pattern these days... What's the thoughts on the use of Wheel spacer/Hub adapter?

Last edited:

jonathanbottoms

Just a quick comment on the Ridge Grapplers. I agree with everyone that the on-road ride is excellent & that they're not very loud. My only gripe with the tires is that they needed a ton of weight to balance. I do have heavy ass 37's, but I figured I'd chime in. Good luck deciding ✊

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Zephyr206

Just a quick comment on the Ridge Grapplers. I agree with everyone that the on-road ride is excellent & that they're not very loud. My only gripe with the tires is that they needed a ton of weight to balance. I do have heavy ass 37's, but I figured I'd chime in. Good luck deciding ✊

Noted and thanks for the feedback. I'm still unsure of running any A/T's at the moment, and after watching Teraflex's Tillamook video, I'm even more unsure. Though I have not ruled it out because of the amount of highway time I see.

I can, I have, and I currently live with a M/T. Any further feedback and thoughts is still appreciated.

Wethy

So the Ridge Grapplers are only offered in a 17 and up rim size and there are fewer and fewer options for a TJ's bolt pattern these days... What's the thoughts on the use of Wheel spacer/Hub adapter?
Youll see a lot of guys will run adapters and throw JK rims with the stock BFG mud terrains in a 255/75/17 size on the TJs. Ive seen quite a few kicking around on instagram.
. As long as you get a quality set of spacers and check periodically you should be fine.. as far as ridge grapplers go they do work well! Mine didnt take much weight to balance but that could be just luck.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
My two cents: I've ran several sets of the original KOs. I'd run another set on a daily driven 4x4 that sees a lot of street but I want something a little aggressive. They like wheel spin and clean out well when you can spin your tires up. If not they are slicks in the mud. I rotated mine every other oil change (which was 3000 miles at the time) and balanced every other rotate. I also worked at the dealership at the time and could do it whenever using the lifts and tire machines so that made it a little easier. I'd definitely look at the KO2s. I'd also entertain the Ridge Grapplers. I feel like they have proven themselves also. But I have zero experience with them. I think they look good too.

I run the Trail Grapplers right now and love them. I'm between 20k and 25k miles on them and they still look well over half tread. I also rotate them every oil change which I do at 5k miles. I probably do need to rebalance them as I have a steering wheel shimmy currently. I'm fixing to rotate them again though so it hopefully goes away. I've been looking at 37s and look at the STTs, the Toyo MTs, the Trail Grapplers again, as well as the Ridge Grapplers and the KO2s. To be honest the ATs would probably suit me fine now. But I'm like you and kind of want an MT. So if you went with an MT, I'd say be prepared to rotate every 5k miles or so to help get the most out of them. Also buy 5 and rotate all 5 in. Blows my mind people spend $300 per tire and let one dry rot with full tread hanging on the back of their jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked

Noted and thanks for the feedback. I'm still unsure of running any A/T's at the moment, and after watching Teraflex's Tillamook video, I'm even more unsure. Though I have not ruled it out because of the amount of highway time I see.

I can, I have, and I currently live with a M/T. Any further feedback and thoughts is still appreciated.

hmmm how often do you see yourself on wet clay slick or muddy logging roads?

I've run A/T's all 150k miles BFG's and a set of Falken Wildpeake... currently on 37's BFG KO2.

The trails at Palo Duro are that clay slick stuff when they get wet. Aired down the BFG KO2 have no issues in cleaning themselves out and getting through it.

If you plan on being in mud all the time then definitely get mud tires, but for a good all around I'd go BFG KO2 .... or Cooper.

I don't have experience with Cooper tires but my brother-in-law runs the Cooper STT on his Ford F350. Actually surprised me because he's always run more of a street/winter tread but he really likes them - even when towing their 40' trailer and especially during the winters.

Top Bottom