Restoring a TJ Wrangler (1997)

Cerrito

Looking to see if anyone has experiences they can share here.

I have a 1997 Wrangler Sport (around 270k miles) that has been sitting in a garage for the past 7 years or so. This weekend I am going to start attempting to get the car running and driving again. I know the basics of what needs to be done (battery, tires, drain all fluids, etc.) but wanted to get others opinions on this. Before going into the garage the engine and major parts were operating fine and last thing to go on the car was the brake line. Because the car had so many miles at the time we decided we needed a newer car. We put it in the the garage to fix up properly when the time was right, but more time passed than originally planned. I am really looking forward to dragging the Wrangler out and starting to fix it up but also concerned this may turn into a nightmare.

Does anyone have any inside tips for dealing with this? Do you think this will be a generally painless and enjoyable experience or a complete nightmare? Let me know and thanks for the time.

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to Wayalife. Take it slow, do one thing at a time and you'll probably have a blast doing it. With any project vehicle though, there always could be surprises that set you back in regards to time and money.

Andy5160

Hooked
Lol, sorry dude! On the app it probably shows "worthless" but on the computer it's "this thread is worthless without pics". I'm interested in seeing this restoration :thumb:

Please don't get him upset from day one:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Benito

Caught the Bug
Except for the guy that just said worthless, you are not thanked.

I think he's being a bit sarcastic since no pictures were posted along with the post. Don't take it personal. Good luck with your jeep, sounds like a fun project

Cerrito

Update

Today I was able to pop the hood open and look it over for the first time and I am really impressed as to how well it held up. Oil looks almost new!! Only one tire was completely flat. That only thing that has me worried is the coolant was basically empty but I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Any thoughts?

Tomorrow I will be swapping the battery, changing the oil and filter, draining the gas tank, and flushing and replacing the coolant )or what's left).

Share any comments or concerns I should have. Thanks.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Should be a pretty straight forward start for it. Hopefully not too many animals and insects made it their home. Throw a tire on it fill her up with some new gas and see how she does.

PT1400

If it has been sitting for that long, turn the engine over by hand about 12-16 revolutions. There is no oil on the bearings and other vital components!!! Of course with 270k miles on it, it only has about another 30k on it until the beginning of the recommended rebuild timeframe.

I've got a '97 as well. PM me if you have any questions or need pictures of the repair manual.

Just spinning by hand i doubt will be enough to prime the oil pump. I would just crank it over a few bursts while the fuel is disconnected when you drain it, or pull the relay for the fuel pump. Even cranking pressure will show on your dash oil pressure gauge once it gets going.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cerrito

Started work on the jeep today and this car is in absolutely great condition. Put in a new battery and it started as if it was never off. Immediately changed the gas, oil, coolant, spark plugs, brakes and brake fluid. The car runs and drives like it never stopped. Need a mechanic to fix a few brake lines properly and it will be ready for anything. No rust and all hoses look to be in amazing shape. Need a new top and tailgate and we will be ready to start work on some off-road upgrades. Couldn't be happier or more surprised.

Happy Camper

Started work on the jeep today and this car is in absolutely great condition. Put in a new battery and it started as if it was never off. Immediately changed the gas, oil, coolant, spark plugs, brakes and brake fluid. The car runs and drives like it never stopped. Need a mechanic to fix a few brake lines properly and it will be ready for anything. No rust and all hoses look to be in amazing shape. Need a new top and tailgate and we will be ready to start work on some off-road upgrades. Couldn't be happier or more surprised.

Brake lines and bleeding are not a big deal. Watch a couple you tubes and dive in.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cerrito

Yeah, but some of the lines look rusted and I would feel safer letting a professional do the lines. Last thing I need is to be on the highway and realize I fucked up.

Today was the first set back of the project though. Pulled the car out to see a small puddle of transmission fluid. Not the end of the world but a little disappointing anyway.

Top Bottom