Front grill prep???

defCon5

I was lucky enough to be the recipient of a factory fresh white grill. Never-mind the details of which I received it. Anywhoo, I have searched and found nothing on the prep of the grill prior to modification. I was getting ready to start roughing it with 240 grit when I thought "WHOA THERE"!!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361129810.759546.jpg

I know everyone and their brother has modified the grill of their JK in one way or another so my question is:
1) What did you do to prep it prior to the application of bedliner, plastidip, etc.
2) If you didn't prep it prior to application, how has it withstood bugs, rock chips, etc.

StrizzyChris

Plastidip'd my old grille and i cleaned it very well with soap and water, then after it dried a once over with windex. Never had a problem with it peeling.

Spray paint shouldn't need too much prep, but 500 grit over the whole thing and that should do it

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

MTG

Caught the Bug
Hahahahaha. MTG. I'll give you my bright silver in return...but only if I don't eff up this one. 😳

LOL! For the stuff plastidipped I just cleaned it and wiped it with rubbing alcohol. 4 coats and it still looks great. Grill is on my list when the temp gets higher. 👍

StrizzyChris

Thanks guys. How many coats? And does Plasti dip have a texture?
Thanks again.

Yeah it has a slightly bumpy texture to it and its rubbery so has some grip to it.

I did 4 light coats as well. I never tried to scrub on it(no bug issues where i lived in California) so can't comment on how well it holds up to that. But its nice matte black that never looked dirty or in need of cleaning

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

LoPo

Caught the Bug
LOL! For the stuff plastidipped I just cleaned it and wiped it with rubbing alcohol. 4 coats and it still looks great. Grill is on my list when the temp gets higher. 

Plenty warm yesterday and today. ;)

defCon5

Cold here today too. Was just trying to prep if needed. Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. 👍

gouacats

Thanks guys. How many coats? And does Plasti dip have a texture?
Thanks again.

I did 5 or 6 coats, then my buddy came over and did one really thick coat. His ended up looking just fine as well...just watch out for runs if you go thick. Clean it with Simple Green. Works great!

Rivertoys

I am very interested in doing this. I want a flat black grill..... What'd you do about the "Jeep" lettering? Take it off, never to be replaced, replace your old ones, or get new letters? ....spraying over the letters doesn't sound like a good plan...

Being unable to going out to look it over in person right now, I will also ask.... how is the weather stripping attached? Does it go back easy, or will I need to replace it due to destroying it upon removal?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I know people just leave the logo on and plastidip over it. As the weather strip goes just cover it with tape. That's what they do on the website/videos I have seen

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rivertoys

I know people just leave the logo on and plastidip over it. As the weather strip goes just cover it with tape. That's what they do on the website/videos I have seen

Great, thank you! I have been doing some Googling.... very cool stuff. I didn't realize it was reversable! I'm doing this very soon.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Great, thank you! I have been doing some Googling.... very cool stuff. I didn't realize it was reversable! I'm doing this very soon.

Me too. Might do it this weekend (finally). Had the stuff for a few weeks now but never had the chance to plus my jeep is still covered in mud so it needs a good cleaning before hand

Rivertoys

Me too. Might do it this weekend (finally). Had the stuff for a few weeks now but never had the chance to plus my jeep is still covered in mud so it needs a good cleaning before hand

You have red also, I really like how it looks on a red Jeep.

gouacats

Yes...this is what I did...plastidip over the letters and taped the weather striping.

Top Bottom