Beadlock wheel and tire combo help

ezav8tr

What should I look for when getting some true beadlock wheels and tires? There's a lot of options out there. I obviously want them to balance out well as I'm on the road most of the time. Most of my off roading is in Colorado and I am looking forward to Moab. As for tires, I'm leaning towards the 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. The type E load rating seams a bit much for my 2 door Jeep though, so I figured I'd really have to air down to get any flex in the tire. That's why I'm looking at beadlocks. Please send me your opinions and tire/wheel options you think would look good on my Jeep. Pictures of your Jeep with them would be helpful as I may just copy your combination, if you don't mind.

IMG_0402.jpg IMG_0406.jpg IMG_0401.jpg IMG_0400.JPG

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tanktitan

Welcome to WAYALIFE.

Sounds like you are looking at this the way I did. I went with Hutchinson's because they are built for highway and off road. They are true beadlocks and they are "DOT" legal. I drive long distances to get to trails so I wanted something that I could rely on regardless of conditions. They are made by the people that make the wheels for military vehicles that are IED resistant. As to tires, if you go this route, go all the way to 37". You will wish you did if you don't.

IMG_1959.JPG IMG_1955.JPG IMG_1954.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ezav8tr

Hum.... If I do 37's, I'm thinking I need to beef up my stock D44's. I have 4.10 gears and a manual 6 speed with the Rubicon transfer case which work perfect with my tires now.
Damn.... I'm afraid you are right though. It seems that 37's are the new 35's.
Nice looking Jeep btw.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm running ATX Chamber Pro II with BFG KO2 37's on my JKU for about 3yrs, multiple trips to Utah, Colorado no issues.

Another thing to consider is changing your brakes. I've used PowerStop but now running Dynatrac ProGrip.

Had the ProGrips been available when I was looking to upgrade I would have gotten them first.

Yes, they are more $$ but their stopping power is hands down better than PowerStop and definitely stock.

Wheel after cleaning but gives you a close up
20170202_140621.jpg

After37.jpg

View attachment 274962

Attachments

• 20150402_113813a.jpg
    20150402_113813a.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 352

boardsurfer

KMC machetes and 35" STT Pros. Zero balancing. Also an e rated tire and they aren't bad at all. I run 28/29 psi on the road and they feel fine.

Andy5160

Hooked
I'm running ATX Chamber Pro II with BFG KO2 37's on my JKU for about 3yrs, multiple trips to Utah, Colorado no issues.

Another thing to consider is changing your brakes. I've used PowerStop but now running Dynatrac ProGrip.

Had the ProGrips been available when I was looking to upgrade I would have gotten them first.

Yes, they are more $$ but their stopping power is hands down better than PowerStop and definitely stock.

Wheel after cleaning but gives you a close up
View attachment 274959

View attachment 274961

View attachment 274962

Don't want to say "do you even wheel " but man how do you keep them like new????[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
To the OP
I have ATX Slabs on Toyo MT 35's now, going to Cooper STT pro 37's soon
Don't forget to give us a waive and check out build thread "cozdude's build of knuckles" you will find interesting stuff for your 2 doors.

jeeeep

Hooked
Don't want to say "do you even wheel " but man how do you keep them like new????[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
To the OP
I have ATX Slabs on Toyo MT 35's now, going to Cooper STT pro 37's soon
Don't forget to give us a waive and check out build thread "cozdude's build of knuckles" you will find interesting stuff for your 2 doors.

hahaha...this is what they looked like before and -even after spending $$$ on off the shelf so called "pro" cleaners didn't make a bit of difference
before_back.jpg

before frt.jpg

after acid wash rear
After_back.jpg

took me about 2-3 hours on each wheel to get them clean but then I got too carried away with the acid wash and I think I stripped off the clear coat the wheels came with.

I'm going to have to take them apart to get them back to what they looked like but they look better than before

the photo parked in the driveway was taken when I 1st put them on the Jeep

Last edited:

Deacon

hahaha...this is what they looked like before and -even after spending $$$ on off the shelf so called "pro" cleaners didn't make a bit of difference
View attachment 274970

View attachment 274973

after acid wash rear
View attachment 274972

took me about 2-3 hours on each wheel to get them clean but then I got too carried away with the acid wash and I think I stripped off the clear coat the wheels came with.

I'm going to have to take them apart to get them back to what they looked like but they look better than before

the photo parked in the driveway was taken when I 1st put them on the Jeep

To others that have machined wheels - Do they all eventually look like this ? Im swapping out my current beadlocks to decrease my BS - have a set of XD 231's on order and Ive went back and forth on the Satin Black vs Machined option - Right now I have on order the Satin Black and was told there still enroute but the Machined are shipping now. Ive always had black wheels and thought Id like to try something different with the machined look on a white jeep but black would most likely be easier to keep clean and less maintenance .
Any input ?

Battle Born JK

To others that have machined wheels - Do they all eventually look like this ? Im swapping out my current beadlocks to decrease my BS - have a set of XD 231's on order and Ive went back and forth on the Satin Black vs Machined option - Right now I have on order the Satin Black and was told there still enroute but the Machined are shipping now. Ive always had black wheels and thought Id like to try something different with the machined look on a white jeep but black would most likely be easier to keep clean and less maintenance .
Any input ?
Yeah how much for current beadlocks?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Any input ?

Aluminum is a reactive metal and will eventually form a dull layer of aluminum oxide on the surface. It can also tarnish, as photos earlier in the thread show.

I got a good deal on some “machined” Chamber Pros and had them powder coated black with the rings gun metal gray. Nice thing about powder coating is it’s durable and you have a choice of colors.

Braxtonsag

IMG_9281.jpg

I have slabs and stt pro 37s. I originally bought 35s and ditched them after a month. The tires have done me great but I haven’t done much wheeling. Won’t really get to test this setup until the weather breaks

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Aluminum is a reactive metal and will eventually form a dull layer of aluminum oxide on the surface. It can also tarnish, as photos earlier in the thread show.

I got a good deal on some “machined” Chamber Pros and had them powder coated black with the rings gun metal gray. Nice thing about powder coating is it’s durable and you have a choice of colors.

Not to hijack but do u mind throwing up a pic of that color combo fiend? I was just googling for examples of that last night.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
If you are worried about it, you could always clean the wheels when you get them, and clear the rims before installing them. That would put a nice layer of protection on the rim itself. and make MOST cleanups a breeze.

That said, my slabs are black.

Another thing, if you are going to wheel the jeep, I'ed think long and hard about paying the money to powder coat the rings. IF you are wheeling your jeep in the rocks, they WILL get chewed up. :twocents:

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Any input ?

Only if you don't taker care of them and wash frequently. The machined wheels do not have a clearcoat on them - they are completely raw. If you live in an area where they salt the roads and you don't get the salt off right away it will ruin them. Having said that, I love the machined wheels. Seems everyone has done the black wheel thing to death. Nothing wrong with them at all, but you don't see everyone with machined wheels anymore. Just keep after them and they'll be fine. I used a metal coating called Sharkhide on mine and it makes cleanup really easy. Now after a wash I hit the wheels with a spray on wax as an additional layer of protection and I have had no issues with corrosion. But again, get that salt/brine shit off right away or it'll eat through pretty much anything.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Another thing, if you are going to wheel the jeep, I'ed think long and hard about paying the money to powder coat the rings. IF you are wheeling your jeep in the rocks, they WILL get chewed up. :twocents:

Yes the rings can get chewed up. My powder coat place charged $40 per wheel and $10 per ring. So the cost for the rings wasn’t really material. I hear some people do paint them though.

By the way, I asked my guy about silver powder coat. He recommended against it, saying that the silver would start to yellow over time.

Ddays

Hooked

^^ This 100%. The Sharkhide I mentioned in my post will get eaten through by the road salt/brine, but it keeps the wheels from oxidizing with it applied. Mine are 2 years old now

New

2 wheels.jpg

Now (dirty - they need washed)

Wheels.jpg

fiend

Caught the Bug
^^ This 100%. The Sharkhide I mentioned in my post will get eaten through by the road salt/brine, but it keeps the wheels from oxidizing with it applied. Mine are 2 years old now

New

View attachment 291230

Now (dirty - they need washed)

View attachment 291231

Yours look really great for being in PA. A lot of work to keep them that way?

Honestly I know i likely wouldn’t put the necessary work into preserving them like that.

ez, not sure if you are still trying to decide which wheel you want but I was in the same situation about a month ago.

I was pretty sure I wanted beadlocks for my 2dr and was reading up on all the beadlock threads.

I went with Chamber Pros as well. I have them with 35” Toyo’s and I love this combination. I also read that Chamber Pros don’t come with center caps but I found some for mine.

Good luck with your search IMG_0584.jpg

Top Bottom