Western UP

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Last week, my wife and I took a trip into Michigan's Upper Peninsula. In 4 days we covered just over 1,600 miles, with about 150 being off-road.

Michigan's DNR ORV site is a real aid for those not familiar with the area. There are about 60 state ORV routes documented and provided in GPX, SHP, PDF, and KMZ formats among others. It's a first-rate production.

Using some of the DNR ORV routes I put together an overlanding trip of sorts, weaving together ORV routes, Forest Service roads, and the odd bit of pavement. What we found was simply beautiful scenery and a land largely to ourselves. Up there Thursday through Sunday, we saw almost no one on the trails (and even then, only closer to civilization) until late Saturday afternoon. By then we were heading into wrap-up mode anyway.

JTP-20170826-0224.jpg

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. One of our first trips wheeling without being part of a gaggle that had to stop every 15 minutes (or so it seems at times).

As the miles suggest, we had a few extended sections that saw speeds averaging in the 20/25 range for a while with a fair amount of suspension movement. Nothing abrupt, abusive, or alarming. That said, I did notice the front end has developed an odd knocking sound. It's apparent when the front suspension becomes lightly loaded, such as running over washboard, such that things might 'rattle.' The sound reminds me a lot of a shock absorber with a lose nut allowing it to rattle. Alas, was unable to find anything obviously loose, showing signs of abnormal wear...or loose shocks. This weekend I figure I'll lift the front by the frame, let the axle droop, and check for anything obvious while it's lightly loaded or unloaded.

Suggestions of things to check are welcome. We're discussing a '15 JKU Rubicon, 39K miles, stock except for an EVO leveling kit.

Top Bottom