Anyone else do some cooking today?

WJIN4LO

Drove up to Tahoe in this heat wave, temps were through the roof (last line near end of guage) and tranny hit 212 and spit some fluid.

But we made it after having to pull over on donner pass for 20 minutes to cool down, deffinately no air conditioning and my wife is least impressed with me and the new car.

Turns out the huge aluminum rad and electric fan don't help alot when it is 100+ outside on a mountain pass.

My speedo did completely cut out in the last mile too so I imagine I will be spending some more money at a shop soon!

Time for 600 beers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJIN4LO

I wonder how hot the engine actually was, need an odbii reader to see, I imagine it was over 230 this time, no high temp lights but it was close to the red zone.

WJCO

Meme King
Be careful getting that engine hot. Notorious for dropping valve seats if it gets overheated even once.

WJIN4LO

Be careful getting that engine hot. Notorious for dropping valve seats if it gets overheated even once.
The guy said he did something to these valve seats when he got this engine built to help with that but I am definitely worried, going to have to find someone to help work out how to cool it down.

WJIN4LO

Does it normally get hot or just on hot days?
Hot days on steep mountain passes and with aircon running, however even without aircon up donner pass it was cooking. The guy told me if I went back to stock cams it would be fine but I have no idea what kind of cams they are or anything.

What are the signs of the valve seats dropping?

WJCO

Meme King
Hot days on steep mountain passes and with aircon running, however even without aircon up donner pass it was cooking. The guy told me if I went back to stock cams it would be fine but I have no idea what kind of cams they are or anything.

What are the signs of the valve seats dropping?

Misfires and ticking noise. You would have noticed already if it had happened.

WJCO

Meme King
Also as soon as I stopped and opened the hood and left it running the temps dropped fast, maybe the hood louvres will work.

However the tranny was climbing no matter what even with all the coolers it has.

How are you measuring trans temperature? Do you have a gauge for that?

If the fluid smells burnt, it would be a good idea to change it.

WJIN4LO

How are you measuring trans temperature? Do you have a gauge for that?

If the fluid smells burnt, it would be a good idea to change it.
Yeah I have a guage, it got to around 205 and I know it spurt out as I have atf fluid on the underside.

Not sure how to cool that one down it already has a deep pan and radiators, however it isn't the stock box yet again I have no idea what it is :)! This car is an adventure in learning that is for sure.

WJIN4LO

Well it ain't ATF it is the wrong color it is all over my brake line too but it can't be brake fluid as my resevour is as full as it was 2 weeks ago and there is a decent amount of it, maybe it is engine oil somehow.

The saga continues... Time to cry into a beer.

Last edited:

WJIN4LO

I actually saw this leak last night too and cleaned it up so it is 100% fresh, I thought it was break fluid but I checked the level before we left and it hasn't changed, I surely would have noticed if it was leaked.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Looks to me like your front diff was overfilled and puked out the vent hose. I've had that happen with even 1/4" overfilled, doesn't take much. Pull your fill plug and see if it's overfilled. Make sure you're parked on level ground. Fluid level should be right at the bottom of the axle tubes. Most aftermarket covers bore the hole to achieve that level. Anyways, that's what it looks like to me from the pictures.

WJIN4LO

Looks to me like your front diff was overfilled and puked out the vent hose. I've had that happen with even 1/4" overfilled, doesn't take much. Pull your fill plug and see if it's overfilled. Make sure you're parked on level ground. Fluid level should be right at the bottom of the axle tubes. Most aftermarket covers bore the hole to achieve that level. Anyways, that's what it looks like to me from the pictures.
Ah that makes total sense! I did not even think of that, I will check it out this morning.

Top Bottom