swimming holes near Reno/Tahoe

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does it need to be somewhere you wheel to or is driving up to it okay? Also, do you prefer river or lake and would a short hike be okay?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Open for any suggestions, prefer to be a bit more secluded to keep away from crowds on a holiday weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Keeping away from crowds is gonna be near impossible this weekend. That being said, I might recommend going up to the Blue Lakes area. Lots of nice lakes around there and you might be able to find a spot or two that isn't too crowded.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Keeping away from crowds is gonna be near impossible this weekend. That being said, I might recommend going up to the Blue Lakes area. Lots of nice lakes around there and you might be able to find a spot or two that isn't too crowded.

I was considering this or lakes basin area. Haven't been to blue lakes for many years, might have to give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation. [emoji106]

SJCJK

Crowded... but we love rafting / floating on the Truckee River. Couple companies that do it. Leave out of Tahoe City and pick you up at river mark on 89, near Alpine Meadows. Fun float, bring a cooler of refreshments.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
What ages and swimming abilities? Can they hike/walk a bit to get there? Are they safe in moving water? Are looking for cliffs to jump?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
What ages and swimming abilities? Can they hike/walk a bit to get there? Are they safe in moving water? Are looking for cliffs to jump?

Those that will be swimming are good swimmers (for their ages) 6-12. Anything more than a mild running current probably wouldn't be good. Hiking isn't a problem, and there not quite ready for cliffs although that would be fun for me.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Crowded... but we love rafting / floating on the Truckee River. Couple companies that do it. Leave out of Tahoe City and pick you up at river mark on 89, near Alpine Meadows. Fun float, bring a cooler of refreshments.

Yeah I used to raft the truckee all summer when I was growing up living in Tahoe. I just can't stand the crowds anymore. [emoji106]

MTG

Caught the Bug

I was considering this or lakes basin area. Haven't been to blue lakes for many years, might have to give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation. [emoji106]

I just talked to some friends who were at upper blue lake this weekend (where we were supposed to be :mad:) and they did say it was crowded. Just an FYI.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Angora is good if you are up around Tahoe; there are lakes everywhere north of Truckee in the Jackson Meadows area; there are some back ways into Boca, Stampede and Prosser to get away from the crowds but the water is a little nasty sometimes. There are also some spots on the Truckee River and Carson River that are not bad, but I wouldn't probably put a 6 year old in either (especially with this year's levels); same with the South Yuba and Emigrant Gap.

Top Bottom