Bolt Hood Lock

Mike-Mike

I got a new job that will involve traveling, so I figured it was time to up my security game. I was trying to decide between the Bolt and Mopar hood locks:

There is almost a $100 price difference, which swayed me towards the Bolt. And the Mopar one says:

Needs to be Keyed/Coded by your local Jeep Dealer or Locksmith. Assembly Required.

whereas the Bolt one says:

Simply insert your ignition key and twist to program and the lock tumblers are set.

So i pulled the trigger:

8acfd66c7aa655d26e51e450d0eee361.jpg

0b5987179ae2e3af5624bf5055703619.jpg

acd4e92d0a435a4338b2d6710e901b13.jpg

3c0512148dbda017866777da87822b4c.jpg

7a9d98919c6925eb5adf46c6e2d8b1f2.jpg

a9c022be9b61f1966f6c3d964db0b742.jpg

ffd8f86808ee2b23276cbf010b3031dc.jpg

3ad0882a25db86d2e32d30fa1714c368.jpg

419f4054e50003a7bc94adf4c40d1bb0.jpg

All the comments said I needed a Rivet Gun, which I did not have. I went to both Home Depot and Lowes and neither had a Rivet Gung big enough. I had to run by Harbor Freight:

8cf3d7cca924bbf1df1106c4b61dea7e.jpg

$19.99 for the gun, hopefully get it installed tomorrow.

JeepJeep75

Just a heads-up to those that have installed this. You can still get your fingers around the hood striker and open your hood, even with the Bolt Hood Lock installed. Sad, yes, but true. My remedy to this problem was to also install a screen mesh behind the factory grill. Like this one: IMG_2715.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mike-Mike

Just a heads-up to those that have installed this. You can still get your fingers around the hood striker and open your hood, even with the Bolt Hood Lock installed. Sad, yes, but true. My remedy to this problem was to also install a screen mesh behind the factory grill. Like this one: View attachment 275103

I remember reading that you could do that, but I'm not sure if I have an updated/newer version or I'm just not willing to destroy my fingers to test it, but I can't see how you could get a normal human hand back there.

Either way, I do plan on getting a mesh grill, it is just the one I want is a bit expensive

Mike-Mike

So I finally got it installed, it was pretty easy, although I'd never done anything like this before, never used a Rivet Gun or anything.

It will be installed in this spot:

8rYDifF.jpg

Pretty quick install, first you remove these plugs with a flat head screw driver:

aSyKJN6.jpg

QG8LjVM.jpg

hLMYs2Y.jpg

5fPaQld.jpg

There are six to remove. Then you pull down and out to unlatch these clips in the bottom:

oOmJgIk.jpg

Then you have to unplug this hose:

OeXlzUa.jpg

oghfSvT.jpg

Those plugs pop right out with a flathead and a little force. You will plug them back in after installing the Hood Lock, so don't tear them up. Hood Lock goes behind the hose:

oobXIBm.jpg

I didn't get pics of the Rivet Gun in action, but you should be able to see how they go in here:

Eh6Dcwu.jpg

gF3pVOQ.jpg

s5S6ius.jpg

All 4 rivets installed:

w8L5Th5.jpg

Hose reattached:

dpakosU.jpg

Front view:

pGWIXHa.jpg

Top view:

IIWAIVQ.jpg

more pics:

96OBnrC.jpg

WdUxepR.jpg

YPBzzps.jpg

Moodyalaskan

Bolt Lock

I installed the Bolt lock in my rig and it keeps the hood from lifting. It may be that due to mass manufacturing of parts some are tighter than others,

Mike-Mike

Why would you want to use buts and bolts instead of rivets?

Not saying it is wrong, just legitimately trying to understand.

Wouldn't that make it less secure?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Cheech

Why would you want to use buts and bolts instead of rivets?

Not saying it is wrong, just legitimately trying to understand.

Wouldn't that make it less secure?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

For me it was just easier(didn’t have a big rivet gun readily available), don’t see how it would make it less secure since the hood has to be open to access the bolts, and if I ever wanted to or had to remove it I just have to unbolt it rather than drilling out rivets.

Top Bottom