Replacement soft top or hard top

Cerrito

I bet this has been on here before but can't find a good thread.

Need to replace the top on my TJ. I can get a brand new soft top starting at $250-$300 and used hard tops start at $500 (the cheapest I found anyway) and new ones are well over $1k.

Is the benefit of the hardtop really worth the extreme price difference?

BobNH

The first thing I did when I bought my tj was sell the hard top. I ran the soft top year round in New Hampshire winters for 9 years and it never bothered me. My jk came with only the freedom top hardtop. I will say, road noise is less, but not gone. Temps might be better, but not by a lot. Winter vision is vastly improved out the rear window of the hardtop. Less flapping with hard top, but more whistling and thunking.
Pros and cons for both. Had the jk come woth a soft top, i still would have bought it because I prefer it, but its not a deal breaker either way, so imo, it is not worth the price to buy the hard top over the soft top

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
It also depends on what kind of off roading you'll be doing, if at all.

Glass is easier to see out of, as Clifford says. But it also shatters, where the soft top is more forgiving.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cerrito

Thanks. I bought a sailcloth soft top and will consider a hardtop if I ever find a good deal. I really want to be able to drop the top at anytime and I think the soft top makes more sense for that reason. Also, I don't have a great place to store the hardtop. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wethy

I would also say soft top unless you live in an area with harsh weather and the jeep will never be in a garage then I would say hard top.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Even with the harsh weather we get here in Ontario, my soft top has been fine. The only time ive ever worried about it was with heavy freezing rain but even then i just start the jeep up, point the vents to the soft top and it usually melts within a few minutes and the ice on the windows just slides right off without even touching them. But a hardtop would be nice for the winters.

I should add i leave the heat on half speed so it doesnt heat up too fast and crack the freezing cold vinyl lol. But thats just me. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom