The tick

scarface24

I started me jeep the other afternoon and as it cranked I heard this tick and it continued for a couple seconds after the vehicle has started. The ambient air temp at the time was 104. I say that because I've heard cold vehicles do that up north but never a vehicle in a hot climate. Any ideas or Am I going crazy?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

Spooooooooooooooooonnn!!!
Sorry. That's all I got. Oh, and to suggest you may have a leak at the collector on your exhaust manifold, or potentially a cracked exhaust manifold. I know both of those are beloved "features" of the 3.8 (07-11) models.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jeeeep

Hooked
I started me jeep the other afternoon and as it cranked I heard this tick and it continued for a couple seconds after the vehicle has started. The ambient air temp at the time was 104. I say that because I've heard cold vehicles do that up north but never a vehicle in a hot climate. Any ideas or Am I going crazy?

have you recently changed your oil?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
If it went away after about 20 seconds I'd say it's most likely just the timing chain rattling as the tensioner builds oil pressure. Mine does it all the time after it's been sitting overnight.

scarface24

I change my oil every 5,000 and I'm getting close to having to change it again. It seems like the ticking happens more often when it sits overnight or for the weekend. More on cooler nights. If it's the timing chain I can sleep better at night

Top Bottom