Battery suggestion

I need to get a new battery. Mines dying. I've got a 10,000 lb warn winch, a few led lights, and a switch pros. I know it's not a ton but I want something decently heavy duty so I don't have to worry about it. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I'm using a Northstar AGM-48. Powering quite a few accessories all the time. Never had an issue.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverKill

I went with an optima yellow top over 5 years ago, still working, never had a problem. How often do you use led, what is the draw. Take the draw times the lights to see what the total is. Had a buddy that thought is was the battery, but the alternator was not putting out enough amperage for his lights.

I went with an optima yellow top over 5 years ago, still working, never had a problem. How often do you use led, what is the draw. Take the draw times the lights to see what the total is. Had a buddy that thought is was the battery, but the alternator was not putting out enough amperage for his lights.

I don't use the lights that often only some night driving on back roads maybe 1 time a week for less than 20 minutes at a time, so I don't think its my alternator.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I'm using an Optima YellowTop as well. Although it may be true that Optima's reliability isn't what it used to be, I haven't had trouble with this one. I also have a RedTop Optima in the WJ which has been doing well despite a small voltage leak I had for a while due to a bad wire in the door. Optima's warranty is still really good also; 3 years of free replacements (BlueTop 2 year).

Last edited:

Azblackdog13

Battery Suggestion

To me, winch or no winch, auxiliary lights or not, after my experience w the shitty stock Mopar battery, if you got the coin get the dual battery set up from Genesisoffroad.com. $479 is steep, but it sounds like a real sweet set up. 36 month or less batteries in my book just don't cut it, but unfortunately that's all they are throwing at us now. I cant pop for that myself right now but its definitely on my radar. Apples and oranges as far as brands to me, but AGM definitely the way to go

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
I would say Odysseys for sure. Sears sells them for great prices. If you do a ton of offroading then I wouldnt get an optima because they are known for losing their long lasting capabilities when exposed to constant vibration which is always there in a Jeep more so than a normal car. Now this probably won't stop me from buying one because optima has great warranties but just something to think about.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I would say Odysseys for sure. Sears sells them for great prices. If you do a ton of offroading then I wouldnt get an optima because they are known for losing their long lasting capabilities when exposed to constant vibration which is always there in a Jeep more so than a normal car. Now this probably won't stop me from buying one because optima has great warranties but just something to think about.

Traditional batteries are susceptible to vibrations also, are they not? Optima even advertises they are 15x more resistant to vibration than traditional lead acid batteries :idontknow:

Either way, I don't think you could go wrong with either Optima or Odyssey.

Rocralr

Hello. I just put a dual battery system in my 2015 JKU. I went with two yellow tops. So far they are great.:rock:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I would go with a northstar or a odeyssey. I had alot of trouble with my blue top optima. It never would hold a charge very well.

If it never held a charge did you ever try and get a replacement? I didn't get the BlueTop purely because the warranty was shorter than a YellowTop.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Traditional batteries are susceptible to vibrations also, are they not? Optima even advertises they are 15x more resistant to vibration than traditional lead acid batteries :idontknow:

Either way, I don't think you could go wrong with either Optima or Odyssey.
I know they advertise as more vibration resistant I just have had personal experiences with vibration issues. Can't beat their warranties though and their customer service is great

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Yeah i tried. I got it at Les Schwab. They charged it and said there was nothing wrong with it. I just quit going to them for anything after that.

I probably would too. Doesn't sound like they were very helpful.

I know they advertise as more vibration resistant I just have had personal experiences with vibration issues. Can't beat their warranties though and their customer service is great

Fair enough.

Top Bottom