Engine Oil

Azblackdog13

Ok Guys, looking for your advice again. Yes I know what the owners manual calls for. I'm running a 2013 JK Unltd Sport. What oil are most of you guys or gals running in your rigs. To me 5W20 is like water especially what our rigs are subjected too. Please advise and thank you.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I run Mobil 1 5-30 here in Colorado and ran it for two years when we lived in AZ. I ran Red Line 10-30 for a year before that. The Red Line was good but way more expensive than Mobil. Oil changes happen every 5k miles and the Pentastar doesn't use a quart between changes and it has 67k on the odo. AZ is hard on oil my :twocents:, so stick with manufacturers recommendations. I'm old school and just can't go 8k between changes. It was a stretch to go from 3k to 5k between but it's going well. Maybe I'll get an I-Phone next year. :thumb:

Azblackdog13

Thanks for the input guys. I still think 10,000 mile oil change intervals and lightweight oil is just asking for trouble and early engine failure. That's what FCA/Mopar wants is for you to buy a new vehicle every few years

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks for the input guys. I still think 10,000 mile oil change intervals and lightweight oil is just asking for trouble and early engine failure. That's what FCA/Mopar wants is for you to buy a new vehicle every few years

If the average person blows a motor in a vehicle they probably aren't buying that same vehicle or brand again. At least nobody I know has done that and I've had quite a few family a friends blow motors.

They blow other things too but that's another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Mine is a 2012 and it calls for 5W-30. I run mobile one full synthetic as its cheap at Costco on sale. I also do 4000 mile changes instead of 8000 as time elapses far quicker than miles for me. I have 32K on the ODO.

PT1400

Ok Guys, looking for your advice again. Yes I know what the owners manual calls for. I'm running a 2013 JK Unltd Sport. What oil are most of you guys or gals running in your rigs. To me 5W20 is like water especially what our rigs are subjected too. Please advise and thank you.
Use what the book says!!!!!

The newer engines have much tighter tolerances. On TJs and older you could get away with running thicker oils. Running even 5w-30 WILL blow out your seals and push your bearings past their usable limit. Do you want to do a minor rebuild of the engine? Then put in a heavier oil. Seriously. I work on generators for a local Caterpillar dealer. We end up rebuilding natural gas engine with only a couple hundred hours on them o CE or twice a year because of this exact issue. Someone running what the manufacturer recommends not to.

End rant.

If you're worried about your oil not making it to the next recommended change, get an oil sample kit, pull a sample at say 5-6k, and send it in. You'll have your answer on whether to Chang it or not within a week.

J

JKDream

Use what the book says!!!!!

The newer engines have much tighter tolerances. On TJs and older you could get away with running thicker oils. Running even 5w-30 WILL blow out your seals and push your bearings past their usable limit. Do you want to do a minor rebuild of the engine? Then put in a heavier oil. Seriously. I work on generators for a local Caterpillar dealer. We end up rebuilding natural gas engine with only a couple hundred hours on them o CE or twice a year because of this exact issue. Someone running what the manufacturer recommends not to.

End rant.

If you're worried about your oil not making it to the next recommended change, get an oil sample kit, pull a sample at say 5-6k, and send it in. You'll have your answer on whether to Chang it or not within a week.

That's a long rant for a vehicle that specifies you can use either or in the manual.

Bigjimbo

Mobile1, penzoil ultra or Castrol 5w30 - which ever is on sale. I've stuck with mopar filters and change it every 5k miles. It's easier for me to remember to change on the 0's and 5's

Top Bottom