Nitto Ridge Grappler issues?

jonathanbottoms

Is anyone running into any issues with their Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I'm running 37x12.50r17s on ATX Ravine 17x9 wheels, and I believe that they are, once again, out of balance. I had them Road Force balanced at Discount Tire here in VA, maybe a month ago. This eliminated most of the speed based steering wheel shimmy I was experiencing between 50-60mph. Then, I rotated my tires, and the shimmy is back. Checked wheel bearings & and ball joints, both seem to be in working order. Also, there are a TON of weights on my wheels.. just curious if anyone else is having any kind of problems like this. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the tires. IMG_20170906_193602.jpg IMG_20170906_193626.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

tippedover

I run those nittos on slabs and I have never had a problem, I am not much help sorry, only thing I know a friend did that had a balance issue was glew the tire weights down cause they kept falling off not sure if maybe u had one or so fall off

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I had a steering wheel shimmy issue with stock 255 Trail Graps after a five tire rotation and rebalance at Discount. The shimmy came in at about 60 mph. A re-rebalance at my Discount store cured the issue. Good luck!

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Is anyone running into any issues with their Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I'm running 37x12.50r17s on ATX Ravine 17x9 wheels, and I believe that they are, once again, out of balance. I had them Road Force balanced at Discount Tire here in VA, maybe a month ago. This eliminated most of the speed based steering wheel shimmy I was experiencing between 50-60mph. Then, I rotated my tires, and the shimmy is back. Checked wheel bearings & and ball joints, both seem to be in working order. Also, there are a TON of weights on my wheels.. just curious if anyone else is having any kind of problems like this. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the tires. View attachment 275470 View attachment 275471

Did you do a 5 tire rotation or a 4 tire?

I'm asking because if you did a 5 tire rotation they may not have re-balanced your spare during your last round of balancing the tires. If so I would have them verify that wheel (which was the spare before the last rotation).

'07 JKUR

jonathanbottoms

Did you do a 5 tire rotation or a 4 tire?

I'm asking because if you did a 5 tire rotation they may not have re-balanced your spare during your last round of balancing the tires. If so I would have them verify that wheel (which was the spare before the last rotation).

'07 JKUR
Only a 4 tire rotation, however, I did have my spare re-balanced as well.

J

JKDream

Is anyone running into any issues with their Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I'm running 37x12.50r17s on ATX Ravine 17x9 wheels, and I believe that they are, once again, out of balance. I had them Road Force balanced at Discount Tire here in VA, maybe a month ago. This eliminated most of the speed based steering wheel shimmy I was experiencing between 50-60mph. Then, I rotated my tires, and the shimmy is back. Checked wheel bearings & and ball joints, both seem to be in working order. Also, there are a TON of weights on my wheels.. just curious if anyone else is having any kind of problems like this. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the tires. View attachment 275470 View attachment 275471

37 Ridge Grapplers here and no issues.
Mine took barely any weight as well. I'd try a different shop next time.
Seems they are putting too much on instead of rotating the tire on the rim.

jonathanbottoms

37 Ridge Grapplers here and no issues.
Mine took barely any weight as well. I'd try a different shop next time.
Seems they are putting too much on instead of rotating the tire on the rim.
Damn. One of my wheels literally has weights stacked on top of other weights 😂 I'll look into another shop

hasten3

I have about 1000 miles on a new set of 5 of the NRG 37x12.5x17 and had to replace two under warranty so far. I had the same 50-60mph light shimmy, they found two out of round, must have been a bad batch.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

hasten3

Oh wow, that's very helpful info! How did you determine that they were out of round?

Not sure, but all the machines said they were balanced, and two (the bad ones) took way more weight than the other three. But still had shimmy between 50-60. One have been replaced, waiting on the second to come in, which I put as spare, so all running good now.

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
2 things:
1- check the air pressure on them all.
2- reseat the tires on the hub, taking care not to torque any down before all the lugs are properly hand tightened
I know the lugs are supposed to be self centering but if one is torqued early it may prevent the wheel from properly aligning.

Courtesy is given. Respect is Earned.

jonathanbottoms

2 things:
1- check the air pressure on them all.
2- reseat the tires on the hub, taking care not to torque any down before all the lugs are properly hand tightened
I know the lugs are supposed to be self centering but if one is torqued early it may prevent the wheel from properly aligning.

Courtesy is given. Respect is Earned.
I've experimented with several different air pressures, but I've had the same results every time. Lug nuts have been properly torqued and re-torqued in the correct pattern too. I've tried everything haha

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I got mine second hand and they weren't balanced and seemed to have no problems until I got mud on the slabs. Went and got them balanced and they look like yours with the weights. I have more vibrations with the weights. Have considered removing them..

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rkgzx9leftcoast

I have a problem with my Grapplers

I have had a vibration issue at around 65 with my Ridge Grapplers, I have a 2016 Ram Power Wagon, but saw this thread. I finally jacked up my front end the other weekend and spun my front tires with a 2 x 4 under the front wheel, about 1/4 " away to watch run out. I was totally shocked by the amount or run out on the tires... anyone who is having an issue should do this, it will brobably open your eyes. Once this happened I did as below

I took the Truck to Discount Tire here by me In Mesa AZ since Nitto wrote me back and said to take the truck to a n approved dealer in the area. Discount did a Road Force test on them, wound up dismounting and re-balanced all the tires. They said the worst one was 19 Lbs of Road force the rest were around 17. They are telling me these are within the Manufacturers acceptable range?? I have driven the truck for few days, though it rides a better it still a vibration around 65, road force numbers or not, there is a noticeable vibration. At this point I am done with NItto. I have balanced these tires 5 times now, and aligned the truck 3 times, not cheap at all to do. I have to contact Nitto again, as the vibration is back just as bad.

When the tires were new they rode pretty well, I only have 6500 miles on them, 8300 on the truck alltogether. My next Tires will be Toyo, I thought since Nitto was the sister company and the Ridge Grappler was a whole new mold, that they would be the same as what I have heard about the toyo M/T and R/T .... not so much ...

anyway, just wanted to post up my experience so far.

Anyway, just wanted to update.....

JKbrick

I have had a vibration issue at around 65 with my Ridge Grapplers, I have a 2016 Ram Power Wagon, but saw this thread. I finally jacked up my front end the other weekend and spun my front tires with a 2 x 4 under the front wheel, about 1/4 " away to watch run out. I was totally shocked by the amount or run out on the tires... anyone who is having an issue should do this, it will brobably open your eyes. Once this happened I did as below

I took the Truck to Discount Tire here by me In Mesa AZ since Nitto wrote me back and said to take the truck to a n approved dealer in the area. Discount did a Road Force test on them, wound up dismounting and re-balanced all the tires. They said the worst one was 19 Lbs of Road force the rest were around 17. They are telling me these are within the Manufacturers acceptable range?? I have driven the truck for few days, though it rides a better it still a vibration around 65, road force numbers or not, there is a noticeable vibration. At this point I am done with NItto. I have balanced these tires 5 times now, and aligned the truck 3 times, not cheap at all to do. I have to contact Nitto again, as the vibration is back just as bad.

When the tires were new they rode pretty well, I only have 6500 miles on them, 8300 on the truck alltogether. My next Tires will be Toyo, I thought since Nitto was the sister company and the Ridge Grappler was a whole new mold, that they would be the same as what I have heard about the toyo M/T and R/T .... not so much ...

anyway, just wanted to post up my experience so far.

Anyway, just wanted to update.....

Discount tire is on Wayalife and will answer pm's. Very helpful too, he resolved an issue I was having

Top Bottom