JKU2013-Automatic won't start! With full Strength Battery.

Destroyer

This morning I put the key into the ignition and turned they key to the ON position. The jeep dash turned on as usually, however shutoff everything within less than a second of the key being in the ON position.

I figured the battery might be shot...so I checked it...It's reading 14V.

Tried to put the key in and nothing turned on this time.

Next, I boosted the jeep with my wife's car and it started up immediately...almost instantaneously.

I drove around for 15min hoping that would help (Note: I have a voltage reader in the Jeep and it shows while I'm driving the battery is at 14.6V), pulled back into the driveway turned the Jeep OFF and tried to SELF START it again.

The exact same thing happened as this morning. Jeep dash lights etc turned on and shutoff within less than a second. Went completely blank. Tried to take the key out and put it back in still nothing...

Boosted the jeep for a second time....it started up like normal...again really quickly.

I have no idea what the problem might be....? Has anyone else had this problem before? Thank You in Advance! Image1504803495.190072.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
The battery may still be bad. Just because it reads good voltage doesn't mean it can handle the amperage required to start the vehicle. I'd get it tested at a parts store or just try a new battery and see if it goes away.

WJCO

Meme King
The battery may still be bad. Just because it reads good voltage doesn't mean it can handle the amperage required to start the vehicle. I'd get it tested at a parts store or just try a new battery and see if it goes away.

Bingo. This is what I would do as well. GraniteCrystal also just went through this. Just randomly one day.

Destroyer

I had this happen literally last weekend, I never checked the voltage but I'm pretty sure my battery is dying so I'm getting a new one

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

What are you doing in the mean time?

Have you tried to turn it on over the past week? Does it turn on at all or is the dash completely blank?

Luckily I have 2 vehicles, and don't have to rely on the jeep to get around.

I guess the battery is just over 4years old (49,000 miles)

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
It happens quite a bit, happened with me with a brand new battery... The battery can have a bad cell or cracked cell in it and when the vehicle shifts around a little bit... boom! Car won't start. I would definitely take the battery out and drop it off at a parts store and have them test it in house. And by that I mean don't drive it to the parts store and have them check it with the manual scanner they bring out, that's not always accurate as I used to work for O'Reilly's as well as my job on a part-time basis for about 3 or 4 years and saw this many times!

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Sold a woman and alternator thinking that was the problem and told her that it could be the battery is bad but went ahead and bought it. She came back the next day furious with me because her battery is bad as well. I told her it was a 50-50 gamble on the only way to know for sure was to take the battery out and she didn't heed our advice.

That sounds like a battery issue to me i had a friend have the same thing happen to his jeep he switched to an optima battery hasnt had a problem since. Imo optima batteries are the best they may cost a little more up front but well worth it in the long run!

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Destroyer

Sold a woman and alternator thinking that was the problem and told her that it could be the battery is bad but went ahead and bought it. She came back the next day furious with me because her battery is bad as well. I told her it was a 50-50 gamble on the only way to know for sure was to take the battery out and she didn't heed our advice.

Thanks for the advice....I figured it was either the battery or the alternator.

I just left the jeep running for approximately 40min in my driveway, turned it off and tried to self start it again...it turned on for about 0.5sec and didn't even let me start the vehicle.

I'm hoping it's the battery....I guess I'll pull it out and find a place to get it tested. Any idea how much this would cost?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Check that your battery cables are tight and have a good connection with the terminals. A bad ground could present as what you describe. Also have an autoparts place test your battery. Most will do it for free.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I'm hoping it's the battery....I guess I'll pull it out and find a place to get it tested. Any idea how much this would cost?

Testing should be free, a new battery could be anywhere from $100-$300 depending on what brand/type you want.

TheGrendel

do yourself a favor and upgrade to one of the quality AGM batteries. it will help as you add accessories etc. plus, there is less chance of cracking a cell on the trail.

Destroyer

do yourself a favor and upgrade to one of the quality AGM batteries. it will help as you add accessories etc. plus, there is less chance of cracking a cell on the trail.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll go get the battery tested tomorrow, however I don't mind buying a new one either way..based on age and use.

I'll buy the AGM type as suggested. I do run a winch, cb, aux lights, compressor etc. Off the battery.

It's crazy how random this is...no warning of it dying if it is the case...I would of expected a partial turn over...clicking...possibly the lights turn on but not the engine...didn't know they could randomly drop dead.

J

JKDream

Check that your battery cables are tight and have a good connection with the terminals. A bad ground could present as what you describe. .

I'd be checking this before springing for a new battery. I've had mine loosen up and even though the connector was on the terminal, it was full dead.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

shin0bi1

either its a dead battery or your ground cable on the terminal isnt seated properly. Try wiggling the negative cable and pull it downwards on the terminal to see if it starts. This happens to me all the time

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MrEmmDubya

Definitely as a first quick check make sure everything is tight. Definitely sounds like a battery though. You stated that you were reading 14.6, that would be what your alternator is putting out, unfortunately that wouldn't tell you anything about the battery itself. Batteries Plus or most local shops will do a load test on a battery for you for free. Good luck.

Top Bottom