Evo pro series tire carrier VS. Evo swing out body carrier?

CinciRubi17

Hey guys! So sad news...recently got rear ended by a civic...good news is insurance has given money for repairs that are basically non existent! Just a new bumper due to a scratch and a few other little things that has given me the money to get either tire carrier from my local shop. Now down to my concerns. I'm installing my Evo double d long arm 4" within a month or two and running 37's. The jeep is my daily driver (as of now) so I'm kinda worried about going to the swing out tire carrier due to the pins to open the rear gate. Everyone I've talked to has said it's the strongest out there which I like to have the satisfaction knowing it won't rattle. I don't mind the drilling into my jeep since it'll be done by my shop. I also like the idea of the body mounted carrier due to the possibility of going to 40's I'll be set and won't need a new tire carrier. I equally though like the Evo pro series hinged tire carrier since it is cheaper and it is an easy install I can do myself and says to be rated for 37's. It also is one handed access. What's everyone's take on the best carrier to go with between the two? Thanks everyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Sounds like you know the pros and cons. If you might go with 40's I would go with the swing out. buy once cry once.

JAGS

Hooked
No question the cage, body mount carrier is the better of the two. That said, it does make getting to the trunk a bit harder. I'm used to it, but the wife hates it.

You just have to weigh out based on the things you noted about. Like jeffj said though, if 40s, the cage holder is perfect.

Ddays

Hooked
One thing to note just because the body carrier is the "strongest" one doesn't mean you won't have some rattles.

Adjusted properly these carriers do not rattle. The proper way to adjust them is for the joints to be slightly misaligned - hence it creates an interference fit of the pins.
Now there are other carriers out there that do rattle. In my former life before WAL I had a Smittybilt on for a short time that was so bad I sounded like an empty goddam dump truck going down the road.
I could not get that damn thing adjusted so that it didn't rattle.

The only con I can think of with this EVO swing out carrier is having to access the rear while on an off-camber spot - there is no stop built into it. I've learned to deal with it and I always carry a short bungie
that I hook onto the top of the cargo door and then on the T-bar that tightens the spare onto the carrier. Not perfect but it gets the job done.

kingsize

I equally though like the Evo pro series hinged tire carrier since it is cheaper and it is an easy install I can do myself and says to be rated for 37's. It also is one handed access. What's everyone's take on the best carrier to go with between the two? Thanks everyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

FYI: We've been running the EVO MFG Pro Series hinged tire carrier on Spicy Chicken for a while with a 40" tire. No issues at all :thumb:

Robert @ EVO MFG.

JKU Arizona

I just installed mine a few weeks ago and love it. Opening and closing it takes some time getting used to but after you do it a couple of times it's not that bad. Also makes the Jeep look bad ass and it also protects the tire.

20170912_103359.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom