I need a low miles 3.8 engine within 200 miles of Pocatello, Idaho

Clark Collins

I just hydrolocked my 2010 Wrangler in too deep a creek crossing. :doh: I would like to find a engine swap shop that has a low miles 3.8 that they could swap into my jeep. There should be a bunch of 3.8s out there from folks who have swapped in a V8. We took the plugs out and the engine will turn part of the way around in both directions manually and then stop, so it probably has at least one bent rod. :icon_crazy: I've checked with our local dealer and they say that I should try and find a replacement engine, that a hydrolocked engine likely has more than one damaged part. I would sure appreciate any advice that can help me out.

WJCO

Meme King
Sorry to hear. Try motech. They may have some old ones. Also sometimes on eBay, you can get a junkyard motor with low miles and a warranty.

Clark Collins

505 performance stroker

I'm going to check out the auto salvage yards in addition to the Jeep swap shops, but wanted to get an engine from someone who could also do the swap for me. In checking online for an engine yesterday I see where I can get a tricked out stroker 4.1 liter engine from 505 Performance in NM. It is pricey, but might be worth it for the increased performance. I'll be checking with them about this today. Anyone know anything about these engines?

I know there will be folks saying just swap in a V8, but that is out of my price range.

Although I am anxious to get my baby back on the road, I'll not be making a hasty decision on this. My hope is that I can tow the Jeep to a shop with an engine and wait for the swap to be made and then tow it home. I tow behind a motorhome, so waiting a day or two somewhere wouldn't be an issue.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
We swapped a 4.9L in a buddies YJ from 505 performance. Other than it took FOREVER to get delivered, the engine seemed to run good and everything was good in that aspect. We finished the swap on a Friday night, and drove it 16 hours to Ouray, CO the next day. Did I mention he was turning 46" tires?? Yeah, that was a fun trip... lol.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Haha you said search engine. Get it??

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

644837545424a8e40c7c8930a8807d8b16dfe5279e74eb5ac8e2921be109fe7c.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm going to check out the auto salvage yards in addition to the Jeep swap shops, but wanted to get an engine from someone who could also do the swap for me. In checking online for an engine yesterday I see where I can get a tricked out stroker 4.1 liter engine from 505 Performance in NM. It is pricey, but might be worth it for the increased performance. I'll be checking with them about this today. Anyone know anything about these engines?

I know there will be folks saying just swap in a V8, but that is out of my price range.

Although I am anxious to get my baby back on the road, I'll not be making a hasty decision on this. My hope is that I can tow the Jeep to a shop with an engine and wait for the swap to be made and then tow it home. I tow behind a motorhome, so waiting a day or two somewhere wouldn't be an issue.

I've run stroker engines in several cars/and an older Cherokee, they were fun as hell but PIA for maintenance. if you're worried about costs, think beyond the upfront costs.

Make sure you read thru 505's Break in Procedure, Installation information and Warranty.

Also keep in mind you'll still be stuck with the 3.8 transmission (which will need to be modified $$$) but having both a 3.8 and a 3.6, I'm constantly reminded how much the 3.8 transmission sucks lol

Clark Collins

Made decision on engine

Just wanted to let the forum know that I've ordered a remanufactured engine from AutoZone and have made arrangements with a local repair shop that I trust to install it. I appreciate the feedback from forum members, & don't need to keep this thread going. Thanks!

WJCO

Meme King
Just wanted to let the forum know that I've ordered a remanufactured engine from AutoZone and have made arrangements with a local repair shop that I trust to install it. I appreciate the feedback from forum members, & don't need to keep this thread going. Thanks!

Curious what kind of warranty they offered you and did they say who actually re-manufactured it?

Clark Collins

Curious what kind of warranty they offered you and did they say who actually re-manufactured it?
Remanufactured by Tri Star and comes with a 3 year warrantee. Engine and install at local shop is going to run be a little over $4K. The engine is on its way and I should have my baby back on the road by the end of the month. An expensive lesson, but it should be like new when done.

WJCO

Meme King
Remanufactured by Tri Star and comes with a 3 year warrantee. Engine and install at local shop is going to run be a little over $4K. The engine is on its way and I should have my baby back on the road by the end of the month. An expensive lesson, but it should be like new when done.

Thanks. I'm always keeping an eye out for rebuilt engines. We're keeping both of our jeeps, so if the time ever comes and we have an issue, well likely put in a reman.

Top Bottom