Thread: Built stock D44- axles locker now intermittant seal leak

Fresh Catch

Built stock D44- axles locker now intermittant seal leak

So I had a mechanic that works on the side (hes a Jeep Mechanic during the day) build my D44 non rubi stock axle. He added an ARB Air locker and used Tenfactory chromoly 35 spline shafts. I drive the thing around and find no leak but I am still in the intel phase because I got a significant leak out of the drivers side when I engaged the rear locker. Is this possible or am I just thinking the locker can cause a leak. On the same note he put a Metalcloak adjustable rear track bar on but he used the stock mounting hole. I have a 2.5 teraflex spring lift for now but it did have the rear track bar bracket from Teraflex. He said since I am using an adjustable track bar I don't need the bracket but I have seen them recommended by both TF and Metalcloak. Its leaking on the drivers side more so when the locker is on I think. I only put about 30 miles on it so far because I'm scared its going to run out of fluid but I checked it today and its fine.

So I need some intel on 35 spline axle seals,
    I need intel on ARB air lockers
    I need intel on rear track bar correction brackets.

I should have just went with the D60 rear, my front Dyantrac Pro rock 44 is solid so far. Jeeps!!!!!
    Thanks guys and girls.

Fresh Catch
    After driving it I see it still leaks when it gets warm but not as much as when the locker is on. I am thinking I just need to replace the seal and life gets better for a while I hope.

Post a pic if you can. Is it leaking from a seal or the breather tube? It is possible that it was just overfilled.

Fresh Catch
    Leaking from the seal at the drivers side. It comes out behind the dust shield. So all the way out. Just thinking seal for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ed View Post
    Leaking from the seal at the drivers side. It comes out behind the dust shield. So all the way out. Just thinking seal for now.
    Sounds like you'll have to take it apart and see what's going on there.

Caught the Bug
    Wouldn't you have to replace the inner axle seals going from a non Rubi 30 spline axle to a 35 spline axle or would the smaller seal actually seal against the larger axle
    2014 JKUR 6spd 3" TeraFlex lift with front and rear upper/lower flex arms
    TeraFlex monster front TB
    Spohn Performance TR and DL with DL flip
    Synergy rear coil wedges
    Bilstein 5100s
    Front Dynatrac PR44 Unlimited with ProSteer BJ
    Dana/Spicer front 1310 DC DS
    M/T Deagan 38 Pro4 17x9, Pro Comp 37/12.5/17 Xtreme MT2
    Spydertrax 1.5 wheel spacers
    PSC Brawler lite front bumper
    PSC RockBrawler II rear bumper
    Warn VR10
    Bushwacker flat fenders
    50" LED light bar

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by MacRubi2 View Post
    Wouldn't you have to replace the inner axle seals going from a non Rubi 30 spline axle to a 35 spline axle or would the smaller seal actually seal against the larger axle
    no inner seals on a d44.

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ed View Post
    no inner seals on a d44.
    Yep that is correct 😜
    I had the front axle on my brain
    2014 JKUR 6spd 3" TeraFlex lift with front and rear upper/lower flex arms
    TeraFlex monster front TB
    Spohn Performance TR and DL with DL flip
    Synergy rear coil wedges
    Bilstein 5100s
    Front Dynatrac PR44 Unlimited with ProSteer BJ
    Dana/Spicer front 1310 DC DS
    M/T Deagan 38 Pro4 17x9, Pro Comp 37/12.5/17 Xtreme MT2
    Spydertrax 1.5 wheel spacers
    PSC Brawler lite front bumper
    PSC RockBrawler II rear bumper
    Warn VR10
    Bushwacker flat fenders
    50" LED light bar

Did he press in the seals or did they come pre pressed? Maybe he knicked it during the install...
    2014 JKU Sport with some stuff...
    Instagram
    YouTube

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgelrod View Post
    Did he press in the seals or did they come pre pressed? Maybe he knicked it during the install...
    This kit didn't have the seals, bearing or retainer pressed so its a real possibility it got dinged somewhere. I am going to take it apart within a few days and get the new stuff pressed back on. I will say that Tenfactory is a very cool company and I got the replacement stuff overnighted to me. I just need to stop working on work and find time to work on my Jeep.