Thread: Check engine light

Check engine light

Light came on for the gas cap. So I tightened it and figured it would turn off after it runs another test. It's been a few days now, I even did the 3 turns of the key trick to see the codes and it always comes back as dONe . That should mean there's no reason for the light correct?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two JeepinLife's Avatar
    Are you getting the "gas cap" message? A small Evap leak can cause this and a lot of times its the evap leak detection pump on your canister

I know you have to drive a certain amount (either mileage or time) for the computer to consider it a drive cycle. If it's a small evap leak I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the cel and see if it comes back. If it doesn't then probably a loose gas cap. If it does then run by an auto parts store for a free dtc reading to get more direction on the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dhayden287 View Post
    Light came on for the gas cap. So I tightened it and figured it would turn off after it runs another test. It's been a few days now, I even did the 3 turns of the key trick to see the codes and it always comes back as dONe . That should mean there's no reason for the light correct?

Only click the gas cap once and then hop in the cab turn the key three times and see if it gives u a code, if not u can run a dtc on it. Do you have a superchips tuner by chance? It could also be your evap sensor as-well.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinLife View Post
    Are you getting the "gas cap" message? A small Evap leak can cause this and a lot of times its the evap leak detection pump on your canister

Yes that's what it is. But then I tighten it and it just popped up again today. The gas cap message will go away but the engine light does not

Quote Originally Posted by dpetersen1988 View Post
    Only click the gas cap once and then hop in the cab turn the key three times and see if it gives u a code, if not u can run a dtc on it. Do you have a superchips tuner by chance? It could also be your evap sensor as-well.
    No I don't.
    Looks like I might need to get one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Judesign View Post
    I know you have to drive a certain amount (either mileage or time) for the computer to consider it a drive cycle. If it's a small evap leak I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the cel and see if it comes back. If it doesn't then probably a loose gas cap. If it does then run by an auto parts store for a free dtc reading to get more direction on the problem.

Ok gotcha. Thanks for the insight

Quote Originally Posted by dpetersen1988 View Post
    Don't you have some printer paper to be attending to?

Quote Originally Posted by JKDream View Post
    Don't you have some printer paper to be attending to?
    Right?

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two JeepinLife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dhayden287 View Post
    Yes that's what it is. But then I tighten it and it just popped up again today. The gas cap message will go away but the engine light does not

Try seeing if the oring on the cap is bad. The surface on the filler neck the cap meets is dirty. You can also go along checking for lose connections in all your lines. Check around where lines run into fuel tank. Take that leak detector off and clean it and clean the oring as well on it.