Close

Fresh Catch

Transmission leak smoke

Can a transmission leak cause a small amount of smoke to come from the engine bay? I know that my transmission is leaking (which is being repaired this week) and I am wondering if this could cause a small amount of smoke. I think the leak is dripping onto an exhaust pipe and then causing a small amount of pale smoke but I don't know if this makes sense or if it is a common symptom. I am worried the smoke might be a sign of a more serious problem, especially if a trans leak cannot cause smoke. I will find out very soon when the car gets towed to the shop but just trying to look for some peace of mind until then. Thanks.

I had a leak from my shifter which caused gearbox oil to fall on the exhaust. Yes it smelled and it made some smoke. Fixed the leak problem solved! I have a manual.

Sent from my LG-D855 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    As you're describing it, yes. Oil (or trans fluid, or brake fluid) on a hot manifold will definitely smoke. But I'd crawl under and make sure it isn't something else.

Fresh Catch
    That's a relief. The car will be at a reliable mechanic this afternoon and I hope to hear some more good news then.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Its not a 'car' its a 'jeep'. I hope it will be an easy fix!

Sent from my LG-D855 using WAYALIFE mobile app