JK Rear Bumper Reversal

JAMMER1

Hey Guys- I could not find a previous thread where this was addressed, but please feel free to drop this into the appropriate thread if so....

Currently running a Poison
Spyder BFH II from the previous owner that required complete removal of the rear crossmember. Wishing to have a tow-rated hitch installed for numerous reasons- ATV trailer, bike rack, etc- has anyone done a reversal/ move to a different bumper?

Assuming Chrysler- approved welding of OEM crossmember is necessary for safe tow-rating.

Thanks guys and thank you for this awesome forum!

JAMMER1

The OEM tow hitch was bolted onto the crossmember.

I would go to a custom fab shop and see if they can help.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thinking that's a good call. every other bumper option utilizes the OEM crossmember. POISON SPYDER wants me to buy their crossmember and have it welded but it isn't tow-rated.

JAMMER1

Turns out that nothing can be done as the ends were chopped at a 45 degree angle and the bolt holes were taken with that chop. So disappointing. I was advised by two body shops and Chrysler not to try to weld as there was not enough metal to hold the crossmember.

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Could you weld some triangular tubing to the ends of the frame to make it whole again? In other words, re-create what existed originally?

Ddays

Hooked
Could you weld some triangular tubing to the ends of the frame to make it whole again? In other words, re-create what existed originally?

Yeah, In don't see any reason why a good fab shop can't recreate the ends of those frame rails. Hell people modify frames all the time. In fact they could rebuild that whole section stronger than the factory version easily. Key is finding a good shop. Maybe look for someone that fabs race cars/trucks or similar to that. Maybe even a large truck garage. No way would I look for a dealership to do that.

JAMMER1

I thought so too--- but went to a body frame shop last and they said in this case where the ends need fabricating to be whole creates too many welds and too much liability. While the welds so be strong, they said the molecular changes North of the welds were their concern longer term with any hauling or towing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I think you're dealing with a liability issue, not a fabricating issue. I'm not a welder but why even try to just replace those little angled sections? I'd ask them to fab whole new end pieces that are welded back further on the frame rails. It may not be cheap but I would think a good fabricator wouldn't have any issue fabbing those ends and crossmember in.

Sent from my iThingie

TheGrendel

I think you're dealing with a liability issue, not a fabricating issue. I'm not a welder but why even try to just replace those little angled sections? I'd ask them to fab whole new end pieces that are welded back further on the frame rails. It may not be cheap but I would think a good fabricator wouldn't have any issue fabbing those ends and crossmember in.

Sent from my iThingie

this. i think they could weld a boxed sleeve over the ends that would be stronger than what was originally on there.

Top Bottom