Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone towing with a 1/2 ton?

Knows a Thing or Two RockinAZJK's Avatar

Anyone towing with a 1/2 ton?

I have an 01 dodge 1500 with the 5.9 that I'm considering using to tow my 08jku on short road trips (1-3hrs). I've flat towed some 2drs short distances and it did just fine power wise, actually needed more weight on the back end (broke my rear tires loose a couple times). Now I'm looking to put my 4dr on a lightweight trailer and looking for some experience or input.

Yes, I already am planning on weight dist hitch w/ sway bars, trailer brake controller and bigger trans cooler if I decide to go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinAZJK View Post
    I have an 01 dodge 1500 with the 5.9 that I'm considering using to tow my 08jku on short road trips (1-3hrs). I've flat towed some 2drs short distances and it did just fine power wise, actually needed more weight on the back end (broke my rear tires loose a couple times). Now I'm looking to put my 4dr on a lightweight trailer and looking for some experience or input.

Yes, I already am planning on weight dist hitch w/ sway bars, trailer brake controller and bigger trans cooler if I decide to go for it.

With the hitch set up and trailer brakes, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. I'm sure opinions will differ, but I'm pretty sure it will move it.

Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    With the hitch set up and trailer brakes, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. I'm sure opinions will differ, but I'm pretty sure it will move it.

Oh I know it will move it. I guess my main concern is for how long and what people's problems have been.

Nothing but a Thing black pearl's Avatar
    Oh I know it will move it. I guess my main concern is for how long and what people's problems have been.

I have a friend that tows her jeep with a 1/2ton dodge, into the sierras about 4 hours drive. Her only complaint that I've heard is some struggle on the long up hill pulls.

Take what you can! Give nothing back!

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    I have a friend that tows her jeep with a 1/2ton dodge, into the sierras about 4 hours drive. Her only complaint that I've heard is some struggle on the long up hill pulls.

The hills I already know are going to be the worst part. I live in Flagstaff and frequent Phoenix and there are a couple long, steep hills that I'm concerned about

Nothing but a Thing black pearl's Avatar
    The hills I already know are going to be the worst part. I live in Flagstaff and frequent Phoenix and there are a couple long, steep hills that I'm concerned about

I've done some stupid heavy steel loads on a fifth wheel trailer with my 65 1/2 ton chevy. It didn't always like it but always pulled through my friends joke a say I think I own a semi, the way I load trailers. I've since upgraded to 1 ton running gear, so now I think I'm unstoppable 🤣🤣

Take what you can! Give nothing back!

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar

IDK how your pickup is set up. Years ago, I had to install a transmission cooler on a half ton my dad had. He pulled a small fifth wheel with it, for about ten years, finally buying a Chevy 2500.

lol I've considered throwing tons and a trans from the same year 2500 then realized if I put that much $ into it I might as well buy a 3/4 ton

Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    IDK how your pickup is set up. Years ago, I had to install a transmission cooler on a half ton my dad had. He pulled a small fifth wheel with it, for about ten years, finally buying a Chevy 2500.

I have one but I plan to install a larger one and possibly a temp gauge...

I think you will be good to go with a trans cooler. I hauled my old 18ft camp trailer to the oregon coast and eastern oregon hunting with my 72 jeep truck with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app