Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone towing with a 1/2 ton?

Knows a Thing or Two Overland_stormtrooper's Avatar
    Hmm well my towing fun was always with horses but i do know a 74, f150 will pull a 6 horse trailer fully loaded from Ct. to Fla. with lots of gas and a few stops along the way as for towing another rig i guess it wouldnt be much difference

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I used my Toyota tundra to pull my old 4dr and I really didn't have any issues going up hill or over heating. My big issue was going down hill, and needing to put all my trust in the brakes because you could down shift, but the engine would just run on. I wasn't over the weight limit of the truck but I was within 500lbs of the limit. I just didn't feel comfortable with how it felt and how it pushed the truck around.
    2014 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I used my Toyota tundra to pull my old 4dr and I really didn't have any issues going up hill or over heating. My big issue was going down hill, and needing to put all my trust in the brakes because you could down shift, but the engine would just run on. I wasn't over the weight limit of the truck but I was within 500lbs of the limit. I just didn't feel comfortable with how it felt and how it pushed the truck around.
    What were you towing? Probably something around 10,500lbs?

I'm thinking about trading my Tacoma in for a Tundra to tow my Jeep, but with an aluminum car trailer, the total weight would be less than 6000lbs.
    2006 Jeep TJ
    "The Banana Jeep"

Fresh Catch
    Ok, everyone call me stupid, but....
    I owned a 4cyl 94 YJ that I pulled a 95 built Blazer that belonged to my daughter Columbus OH to Wheeling WV and Col to Attica IN and Col to southern KY on a trailer. I'm a believer!! Then we wheeled both and towed it home. Just thought I'd throw this in and say, if you are careful and do it as safely as you can with the equipment you have, almost anything is doable!
    I wouldn't be afraid to pull your load with my Ram 1500 4x4 almost anywhere!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing TrainWreck618's Avatar
    Stupid..

Quote Originally Posted by old jeeper View Post
    I owned a 4cyl 94 YJ that I pulled a 95 built Blazer that belonged to my daughter Columbus OH to Wheeling WV and Col to Attica IN and Col to southern KY on a trailer. I'm a believer!! Then we wheeled both and towed it home. Just thought I'd throw this in and say, if you are careful and do it as safely as you can with the equipment you have, almost anything is doable!

What happens when your brakes glaze over?
    2014 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by BananaJeep View Post
    What were you towing? Probably something around 10,500lbs?

I'm thinking about trading my Tacoma in for a Tundra to tow my Jeep, but with an aluminum car trailer, the total weight would be less than 6000lbs.
    65000lbs jeep plus steel trailer. I might have been off a little on my numbers, but I still wasn't comfortable. A light aluminum trailer would help your cause.
    2014 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by old jeeper View Post

Holy hell man, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. When I see rigs like you described above I make it a point to stay clear of it. Scenarios like that one too often end up
    with someone saying "But officer". Vehicle tow ratings are given for good reason man!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    65000lbs jeep plus steel trailer. I might have been off a little on my numbers, but I still wasn't comfortable. A light aluminum trailer would help your cause.
    Ahh, that's still a lot of weight. My Jeep is under 4500lbs lol
    2006 Jeep TJ
    "The Banana Jeep"

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post

Holy hell man, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. When I see rigs like you described above I make it a point to stay clear of it. Scenarios like that one too often end up
    with someone saying "But officer". Vehicle tow ratings are given for good reason man!
    He told us to call him stupid.