Anyone towing with a 1/2 ton?

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I have an 01 dodge 1500 with the 5.9 that I'm considering using to tow my 08jku on short road trips (1-3hrs). I've flat towed some 2drs short distances and it did just fine power wise, actually needed more weight on the back end (broke my rear tires loose a couple times). Now I'm looking to put my 4dr on a lightweight trailer and looking for some experience or input.

Yes, I already am planning on weight dist hitch w/ sway bars, trailer brake controller and bigger trans cooler if I decide to go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I have an 01 dodge 1500 with the 5.9 that I'm considering using to tow my 08jku on short road trips (1-3hrs). I've flat towed some 2drs short distances and it did just fine power wise, actually needed more weight on the back end (broke my rear tires loose a couple times). Now I'm looking to put my 4dr on a lightweight trailer and looking for some experience or input.

Yes, I already am planning on weight dist hitch w/ sway bars, trailer brake controller and bigger trans cooler if I decide to go for it.

With the hitch set up and trailer brakes, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. I'm sure opinions will differ, but I'm pretty sure it will move it.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I have a friend that tows her jeep with a 1/2ton dodge, into the sierras about 4 hours drive. Her only complaint that I've heard is some struggle on the long up hill pulls.

The hills I already know are going to be the worst part. I live in Flagstaff and frequent Phoenix and there are a couple long, steep hills that I'm concerned about

black pearl

Hooked
The hills I already know are going to be the worst part. I live in Flagstaff and frequent Phoenix and there are a couple long, steep hills that I'm concerned about

I've done some stupid heavy steel loads on a fifth wheel trailer with my 65 1/2 ton chevy. It didn't always like it but always pulled through [emoji23] my friends joke a say I think I own a semi, the way I load trailers. I've since upgraded to 1 ton running gear, so now I think I'm unstoppable 🤣[emoji23]🤣

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

IDK how your pickup is set up. Years ago, I had to install a transmission cooler on a half ton my dad had. He pulled a small fifth wheel with it, for about ten years, finally buying a Chevy 2500.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
lol I've considered throwing tons and a trans from the same year 2500 then realized if I put that much $ into it I might as well buy a 3/4 ton [emoji23]

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
I think you will be good to go with a trans cooler. I hauled my old 18ft camp trailer to the oregon coast and eastern oregon hunting with my 72 jeep truck with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Hmm well my towing fun was always with horses but i do know a 74, f150 will pull a 6 horse trailer fully loaded from Ct. to Fla. with lots of gas and a few stops along the way as for towing another rig i guess it wouldnt be much difference

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I used my Toyota tundra to pull my old 4dr and I really didn't have any issues going up hill or over heating. My big issue was going down hill, and needing to put all my trust in the brakes because you could down shift, but the engine would just run on. I wasn't over the weight limit of the truck but I was within 500lbs of the limit. I just didn't feel comfortable with how it felt and how it pushed the truck around.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I used my Toyota tundra to pull my old 4dr and I really didn't have any issues going up hill or over heating. My big issue was going down hill, and needing to put all my trust in the brakes because you could down shift, but the engine would just run on. I wasn't over the weight limit of the truck but I was within 500lbs of the limit. I just didn't feel comfortable with how it felt and how it pushed the truck around.

What were you towing? Probably something around 10,500lbs?

I'm thinking about trading my Tacoma in for a Tundra to tow my Jeep, but with an aluminum car trailer, the total weight would be less than 6000lbs.

old jeeper

Ok, everyone call me stupid, but....
I owned a 4cyl 94 YJ that I pulled a 95 built Blazer that belonged to my daughter Columbus OH to Wheeling WV and Col to Attica IN and Col to southern KY on a trailer. I'm a believer!! [emoji4] Then we wheeled both and towed it home. Just thought I'd throw this in and say, if you are careful and do it as safely as you can with the equipment you have, almost anything is doable! [emoji38][emoji38]
I wouldn't be afraid to pull your load with my Ram 1500 4x4 almost anywhere!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I owned a 4cyl 94 YJ that I pulled a 95 built Blazer that belonged to my daughter Columbus OH to Wheeling WV and Col to Attica IN and Col to southern KY on a trailer. I'm a believer!! [emoji4] Then we wheeled both and towed it home. Just thought I'd throw this in and say, if you are careful and do it as safely as you can with the equipment you have, almost anything is doable! [emoji38][emoji38]
I wouldn't be afraid to pull your load with my Ram 1500 4x4 almost anywhere!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

What happens when your brakes glaze over?

jeffj

Caught the Bug
What were you towing? Probably something around 10,500lbs?

I'm thinking about trading my Tacoma in for a Tundra to tow my Jeep, but with an aluminum car trailer, the total weight would be less than 6000lbs.

65000lbs jeep plus steel trailer. I might have been off a little on my numbers, but I still wasn't comfortable. A light aluminum trailer would help your cause.

Ddays

Hooked

:eek:

Holy hell man, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. When I see rigs like you described above I make it a point to stay clear of it. Scenarios like that one too often end up
with someone saying "But officer". Vehicle tow ratings are given for good reason man!

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
65000lbs jeep plus steel trailer. I might have been off a little on my numbers, but I still wasn't comfortable. A light aluminum trailer would help your cause.

Ahh, that's still a lot of weight. My Jeep is under 4500lbs lol

WJCO

Meme King
:eek:

Holy hell man, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. When I see rigs like you described above I make it a point to stay clear of it. Scenarios like that one too often end up
with someone saying "But officer". Vehicle tow ratings are given for good reason man!

He told us to call him stupid.

Top Bottom