Tow Rig/ Recovery Rig

JKU EXTREME

Okay so I've been going back and forth on what I'm looking to have in a tow rig/ recovery Truck and have come up with a list. But I'm not sure if I'm covering all the bases, so I'm interested to see what y'all's ideal setup is as far as parts needed. i.e. What are some things that should be absolutely NEEDED and Wanted in a tow rig/ recovery rig?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKU EXTREME

A proper trailer and straps is all you need, and of course a truck capable to haul everything. Is there something specific your looking for? What are your plans?

I'm looking to do a J-series truck with a 12valve twin turbo, beefed up Dana 60's, and sitting on 38" (for the wider track width). Dual spare, roof rack, winch front & rear small portable welder, as small of a toolkit I can get away with and a few spare parts in case of breakage.

But I still can't decide on the rear suspension, leaf spring, coil, dual triangulate 4 link, or trailing arm....

But I was specifically looking to see if it would be a good idea to carry compressed water and other self sufficient things such as that...

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
That's a lot of weight for that truck, i think it would be cool by its self, but as a tow/recovery rig that's a tall order. How about take the money you were going to throw at another vehicle and put it in the Jeep so it's more capable?

JKU EXTREME

That's a lot of weight for that truck, i think it would be cool by its self, but as a tow/recovery rig that's a tall order. How about take the money you were going to throw at another vehicle and put it in the Jeep so it's more capable?

It would come after the Jeep is at the finish line of the build. And if that gets stuck I need something big and bad. But I have time, just trying to sort it all out now so that when the time comes I can get to building instead of planning

FallonJeeper

tapatalk_1498371606737.jpeg tapatalk_1498371594346.jpeg
Here's my 1984 J10 Recovery vehicle.

Stock 360 with a Holley Truck Avenger, Edelbrock Intake and MSD distributor.

3" body and 6" Suspension lifts.

Custom bumpers, and roll bar.

Smitybuilt 10000 lb Winch.

Front and rear axles are DANA 44 with Ected E locker and AMC 20.

Sits on 35" Goodyear KM2 Kevlars.

I'd love to 4 link it with coil overs (the 6"lift makes it a very stuff ride) and put fuel infection on it. Tried FITECH, unsuccessfully. Possibly a bad unit.

Otherwise it's very capable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

Thanks. It's 100% functional. Race radio, cb, Lowrance GPS, XM satellite radio.

I thought about a diesel swap too. But may be heavy for the frame. Maybe a J20 would be better suited for a diesel.

Also not much of a tow rig. It has a ball hitch but it's about 3ft. Off the ground.

Oh and 4.88 gears.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom