Specks on Windshield

Amrth

Wanting to ask the forum if any of you have had the problem of specks on windshield, mine looks like a galaxy of stars.. what is the best medicine for this? I wish i could capture a picture of what I mean.. but I shall try and get a couple tonight..

JeepJeep75

Sounds like micro-pitting. Can you feel anything with your fingernail? If there was any grinding done near the glass, the sparks will embed into the glass causing mirco-pitting and even the tiny chunk of burning metal (the spark) will get stuck in the glass. If it is pitted, the only solution will be replacing the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheGrendel

it's most likely just pitted glass from tiny particles hitting your windshield on the highway. if you live some place that is dusty or in a big city with constant construction, it is going to happen. either replace it if it annoys you or wait for the yearly Jeep glass break and replace it then.

edit: you can use an orbital buffer and polishing compound to try and reduce some on the pitting.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Mine's had the same since I bought it. I just chalked it up to a LOT of small rock chips. Like the previous owner lived on a gravel road or something. I'd just try and ignore it if it passes inspection...

bill32

Do you just notice it when the sun is at a certain angle directly at the windshield? Then it is just the make up of the glass.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I have that. Literally driving home from dealership and got behind a dump truck full of sand and no cover. Sounded like it was raining. At least it didn't fuck anything else up. I figure I'll get a crack in it as some point like every jeep does and just change it out then. Really there is no fix other that replace

Amrth

Any chance it has been in a shop or you have been welding/grinding close by? I've seen glass do that from hot sparks hitting the glass.

Sounds like micro-pitting. Can you feel anything with your fingernail? If there was any grinding done near the glass, the sparks will embed into the glass causing mirco-pitting and even the tiny chunk of burning metal (the spark) will get stuck in the glass. If it is pitted, the only solution will be replacing the glass.

Something new that I learnt today, the term Pitting :) . As for grinding or welding near the Jeep or Glass.. as far as I owned it.. No! but I'm not sure of the previous owner.

it's most likely just pitted glass from tiny particles hitting your windshield on the highway. if you live some place that is dusty or in a big city with constant construction, it is going to happen. either replace it if it annoys you or wait for the yearly Jeep glass break and replace it then.

edit: you can use an orbital buffer and polishing compound to try and reduce some on the pitting.

The previous owner used to work at a stone quarry.. might be this is the reason :thinking: I shall try the buffer, I should be using the glass polish compound I suppose?

Mine's had the same since I bought it. I just chalked it up to a LOT of small rock chips. Like the previous owner lived on a gravel road or something. I'd just try and ignore it if it passes inspection...
Do you just notice it when the sun is at a certain angle directly at the windshield? Then it is just the make up of the glass.

Oh yeah it passed inspection, it annoying when it rains, especially during rainy night.. the reflections are horrible..

glen5264

I had the similar thing. Somehow a rock hit my windshield and had to get a new one. Strange thing the glass guy he replaces a bunch of windshields on jks. Don't waste ur time and money trying to polish small chips or some haze.

BobNH

It's one of the sharpest angled windshields out there. Pitting is normal and almost immediate, depending on your location I am sure. Here in NH, I just carry comp and wait for the next rock chip so I can replace it and start the pitting anew. I have had my jk a year and had to put one in already, but because my defroster cooked it in the cold and cracked it all the way across.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Amrth

Quick update, I could feel the chips on the glass through the finger nail. Driving around local I dropped into a glass guy and he advised a replacement for around 350$ .. He says he can polish for 80$ but advised against it.

Looked up Safelight quote and it says 240$ with national lifetime warranty on a non Jeep logo embedded and 390$ on a Logo embedded one. Planning to talk to the insurance today and see if that's covered.

Thanks for all your inputs on this folks.. For all deskjobbers like me .. butt cracks for the next 5 days.. Happy Monday :beer:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Quick update, I could feel the chips on the glass through the finger nail. Driving around local I dropped into a glass guy and he advised a replacement for around 350$ .. He says he can polish for 80$ but advised against it.

Looked up Safelight quote and it says 240$ with national lifetime warranty on a non Jeep logo embedded and 390$ on a Logo embedded one. Planning to talk to the insurance today and see if that's covered.

Thanks for all your inputs on this folks.. For all deskjobbers like me .. butt cracks for the next 5 days.. Happy Monday :beer:

Did you try talking to your insurance, they usually cover windshields. Might not cost you anything, it's worth a shot.

Edit: apparently I can't read all the way trough [emoji854] lol, yes try your insurance

Top Bottom