Steering issue

Deankxf

I have a 17' jk 2dr I recently lifted it with a rcx 4" suspension lift. Ever since I lifted it the steering has been extremely loose compared to how it was when it was stock, it's so bad that it has so much play if I turn the steering wheel traction control and stabilitrak go crazy, it has a drop pitman arm, no drag link flip, any help is appreciated! IMG_0718.jpg IMG_0721.JPG IMG_0722.jpg IMG_0560.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to Wayalife. First thing I would do is make sure track bar bolts are torqued to 125 ft pounds, ensure that track bar backet is bolted/welded properly to the axle. Then check your drag link sleeve bolts to make sure they are tight. Another thing to check is that both pitman arm nuts are tight at the gear box and drag link.

EDIT: Just noticed your steering stabilizer is missing. If it was removed during the lift kit install, it is possible this issue existed all along and your stabilizer was hiding it by absorbing the play and now that it's missing, you're feeling it.

Last edited:

Deankxf

I checked all the bolts and they are all extremely tight, and the steering stabilizer is on there just hard to see in picture because it's black

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would go over everthing again just to be sure. I thought I had my pitman arm tight when I did my install and it was loose.

WJCO

Meme King
I checked all the bolts and they are all extremely tight, and the steering stabilizer is on there just hard to see in picture because it's black

I see it now, sorry, smoking crack over here.

Have someone cycle the steering back and forth while you look for play somewhere. If you feel sloppy steering, something should be visually loose.

Sahara_Maverick

Not sure it could cause this symptom, however when you tightened the suspension-related bolts did you do it with the Jeep on the ground? It has to be with it on the ground, not suspended.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I can't tell from the photos but does you track bar bracket have any u bolts or is it just bolted to the stock bracket?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Sounds like insufficient caster could be an issue. With a 4 inch lift you need to correct caster, either with adjustable control arms or cam bolts. Do you know if your installer adjusted your caster? Stock is 4.2 degrees. Anything less than 3 and it's going to feel flighty.

J

JKDream

Also just realized nobody mentioned - is your steering wheel centered? If it isn't, that explains the traction control coming on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Deankxf

Sounds like insufficient caster could be an issue. With a 4 inch lift you need to correct caster, either with adjustable control arms or cam bolts. Do you know if your installer adjusted your caster? Stock is 4.2 degrees. Anything less than 3 and it's going to feel flighty.

I'm really glad you brought this up, I went and rechecked my lift a couple minutes ago and I found the one cam bolt was loose! And I tightened it and my steering seems to be a little better but it also wanders a little now, so how do I "accurately" adjust both cam bolts to be the same on the lower control arms

J

JKDream

For the most part it is, I keep adjusting it but it's hard to get it perfect when I have a shit ton of steering play, so that's what I'm trying to fix now

Typically if your steering wheel constantly needs adjustment you either have slop in the draglink or track bar.
Those are the first things I'd be checking if that's the case. If everything is tight - once you set the draglink you shouldn't need to move it again.
Beyond tightening the bolts, check the bushings/rod ends for play as well.

Also - double check that track bar mount, I'm not a huge fan of mounts that don't have two U-bolts, or even better - welded.
There's a lot of force on the bracket, and if it isn't secured on both sides it will move.
The factory bolts won't hold it in place since it's raised.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I'm really glad you brought this up, I went and rechecked my lift a couple minutes ago and I found the one cam bolt was loose! And I tightened it and my steering seems to be a little better but it also wanders a little now, so how do I "accurately" adjust both cam bolts to be the same on the lower control arms

I don't have any direct experience with those kinds of cam bolts, sorry. Trial and error would be my approach, but maybe some else can suggest something better.

WJCO

Meme King
For the most part it is, I keep adjusting it but it's hard to get it perfect when I have a shit ton of steering play, so that's what I'm trying to fix now

Those cam bolts where you knock out the control arm bracket hole? They kind of suck. Under force, they're hard to keep tight because of the slot that is now there. Regardless, if you torque them properly, it should eliminate the play at least while you test drive it around town, but as far as using it off road, they'll likely move again over time. A better option if you choose, is to weld those holes up so there is a regular hole there again, and buy adjustable control arms.

And your steering play could still be something else going on.

Deankxf

Those cam bolts where you knock out the control arm bracket hole? They kind of suck. Under force, they're hard to keep tight because of the slot that is now there. Regardless, if you torque them properly, it should eliminate the play at least while you test drive it around town, but as far as using it off road, they'll likely move again over time. A better option if you choose, is to weld those holes up so there is a regular hole there again, and buy adjustable control arms.

And your steering play could still be something else going on.

I wouldn't mind getting adjustable control arms soon, but for the time being how can I alight both lower control arms with the cam bolts?

Deankxf

Okay Everyone! The steering play is fixed! It was a loose pitman arm, and I'm sure the loose control arm had a part in it too! Still trying to align the axle with the cam bolts but I'm glad the slop is fixed!

Top Bottom