how do you carry fluids (antifreeze/oil/gear lube) on the trail?

zimm

Caught the Bug
Prepping for Moab and trying to figure the best way to carry a couple gallons of antifreeze, a few quarts of engine oil, steering fluid, and gear lube. I bought one of those black boxes with the yellow lids, but it's a little too short for the gallon bottles so they have to lay on their side. Artec makes a metal one, but it's $100 plus it needs to be painted and somehow bolted down. I'm about to settle for a milk crate unless there's a better solution.

WJCO

Meme King
I carry a small Sterilite storage tub. I don't carry antifreeze just because we have water here on trails and I carry water anyways. I carry a collapsable bucket to carry water from stream if I needed to. In an emergency, I would try to figure out away around Antifreeze until I got home.

This post: Since then, I've also added a tube of RightStuff 1 minute gasket maker, can of brake clean, and general oring set.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...-Carry-Offroad?p=857111&viewfull=1#post857111

DSC04799.jpg

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
I carry a rubber maid tub. I've posted it on here before. I'll try to find a picture.

The big tote with the snap on lid? I have a dozen of 'em, but they're pretty darn big. Good thing with those is if a bottle leaks, it's contained unlike the artec or a milk crate.

WJCO

Meme King
The big tote with the snap on lid? I have a dozen of 'em, but they're pretty darn big. Good thing with those is if a bottle leaks, it's contained unlike the artec or a milk crate.

In that link I posted, there is a picture of the label with measurements along with a picture of tape measure. It's pretty small IMO. WalMart has them for about 8 bucks, I think.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Similar to what WJCO suggested I use a 5 gal bucket with a lid. Can carry 6qts engine oil and power steer and gear oil as well. I also don't bother with antifreeze as I carry more than enough drinking water so I can always use that in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug

longarmwj

As others have said, use a rubbermaid container. In trips past I have just tossed them in the trunk of the WJ and gone. Worked great until the oil blew it's lid :doh:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Look here smart ass, I did do a search before posting. It's just that your search skills are better than mine ;)

That container is much smaller than my rubbermaid totes. I know my 2015 takes the weird organic antifreeze, but if I can use water instead, I'll leave that stuff at home. The gear lube bottles are pretty tall though.

Yes, The gear lube bottles suck. I carry them in one of these:

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/Monocular-Night-Vision-Ammo-Type-Can-Case-Used-p/4115.htm

I also have a action packer for everything else:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...MIktLE-Piu1gIVWZ7ACh0o7A42EAQYBCABEgLrifD_BwE

jesse3638

Hooked
Prepping for Moab and trying to figure the best way to carry a couple gallons of antifreeze, a few quarts of engine oil, steering fluid, and gear lube. I bought one of those black boxes with the yellow lids, but it's a little too short for the gallon bottles so they have to lay on their side. Artec makes a metal one, but it's $100 plus it needs to be painted and somehow bolted down. I'm about to settle for a milk crate unless there's a better solution.
A milk crate has worked for me but as mentioned if a bottle leaks it's going all over. You'll never get the smell of gear oil out. I've carried antifreeze and I think really you'd be fine with straight water as long as its not a cold winter wheeling trip. Then straight water may cause problems.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
This is just an idea if you don't have room for anymore containers... I've taken a good thick trash bag.. doubled or tripled it up... wrapped the bottle up super tight and zip tied it shut.. if stored (upright) in a safe location it should be fine. Plus it's easier to stuff an individual bottle in one of the many nooks & crannies the jeep offers, rather then grouping them together... kind of ghetto and goes against my OCD principles of designated containers... but I've done it.

I carry all my stuff in a plastic tub. And I'm able to fit my pre-mixed coolant that I put in apple juice containers and lay them flat and they don't leak and then I lay my oil container and other parts as-well. I also pack a lot of gear so the tub fits perfect for what I need.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

mastrcruse

Although simple, I keep mine in a wine box and remove the inserts to accommodate the individual bottles. Keeps pressure on the bottles so they don't shift in the Jeep. Depending on box, they also fit under the rear seat. I like WJCO's idea of a small enclosed bin also.

jeeeep

Hooked
I use a battery case. I can get 9- 1qt bottles in it and it fits snug enough under my storage deck no top needed. For antifreeze, I use a 1.25 gal gas can that also fits under the storage deck.

Oil_Antifreeze_Frt.jpg

Oil_Top.jpg

Top Bottom