Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you carry fluids (antifreeze/oil/gear lube) on the trail?

Nothing but a Thing

how do you carry fluids (antifreeze/oil/gear lube) on the trail?

Prepping for Moab and trying to figure the best way to carry a couple gallons of antifreeze, a few quarts of engine oil, steering fluid, and gear lube. I bought one of those black boxes with the yellow lids, but it's a little too short for the gallon bottles so they have to lay on their side. Artec makes a metal one, but it's $100 plus it needs to be painted and somehow bolted down. I'm about to settle for a milk crate unless there's a better solution.

Doesn't know shit about wheeling Crystaliner's Avatar
    Can't get much better than Artec

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I carry a small Sterilite storage tub. I don't carry antifreeze just because we have water here on trails and I carry water anyways. I carry a collapsable bucket to carry water from stream if I needed to. In an emergency, I would try to figure out away around Antifreeze until I got home.

This post: Since then, I've also added a tube of RightStuff 1 minute gasket maker, can of brake clean, and general oring set.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...l=1#post857111

DSC04799.jpg
    Last edited by WJCO; 09-18-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    I carry a rubber maid tub. I've posted it on here before. I'll try to find a picture.
    The big tote with the snap on lid? I have a dozen of 'em, but they're pretty darn big. Good thing with those is if a bottle leaks, it's contained unlike the artec or a milk crate.

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    The big tote with the snap on lid? I have a dozen of 'em, but they're pretty darn big. Good thing with those is if a bottle leaks, it's contained unlike the artec or a milk crate.
    In that link I posted, there is a picture of the label with measurements along with a picture of tape measure. It's pretty small IMO. WalMart has them for about 8 bucks, I think.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Nothing but a Thing QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    Similar to what WJCO suggested I use a 5 gal bucket with a lid. Can carry 6qts engine oil and power steer and gear oil as well. I also don't bother with antifreeze as I carry more than enough drinking water so I can always use that in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The search option exists for a reason...

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...ansport-fluids

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    The search option exists for a reason...

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...ansport-fluids
    Look here smart ass, I did do a search before posting. It's just that your search skills are better than mine

That container is much smaller than my rubbermaid totes. I know my 2015 takes the weird organic antifreeze, but if I can use water instead, I'll leave that stuff at home. The gear lube bottles are pretty tall though.

As others have said, use a rubbermaid container. In trips past I have just tossed them in the trunk of the WJ and gone. Worked great until the oil blew it's lid
    Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread
    2019 Compass Sport Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    Look here smart ass, I did do a search before posting. It's just that your search skills are better than mine

That container is much smaller than my rubbermaid totes. I know my 2015 takes the weird organic antifreeze, but if I can use water instead, I'll leave that stuff at home. The gear lube bottles are pretty tall though.
    Yes, The gear lube bottles suck. I carry them in one of these:

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...sed-p/4115.htm

I also have a action packer for everything else:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...CABEgLrifD_BwE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast