Why is Toyota so popular with overlanding crowd?

GraniteCrystal

I've been following more overlanding accounts on IG and they're all flooded with Toyotas. Why is that so popular with that crowd? Is there some awesome feature a 4Runner has that a JK doesn't? The nicest trim level on these for 2018 is $44,760 MSRP so I know it's not a cost savings thing.

fiend

Caught the Bug
They want to look like they're in the Australian outback as they drive around town with shovels and roof top tents and shit on their roof. They all look pretty shiney to me. But then again, a lot of built JKs look that way too.

Jackal01

My theory is that is just like the "you're a Ford guy or a Chevy guy". In our world it is "jeep guy or Hummer/Toyota". Different strokes for different folks? Maybe they prefer the refinements of a SUV?

J

JKDream

From my experience (I came from Toyota's) if you're into overlanding you're typically not really into "wheeling". You don't do much rock crawling or trail running - it's more fire road exploring. IFS tends to handle the road a lot better for long excursions/does better at speed as well. It's really the comfort factor. Solid axle vehicles are great for hard off roading, but for real road miles they fall short to IFS IRS setups.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yota has a following the same as jeep does. I would drive the ever loving shit out of a hilux if I could get one. Also it's a pain to put a roof top tent on something with a removable roof.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
We own a Sequoia and a family member owns a newer 4 Runner.

I have to admit the interior of the 4 Runner is more comfortable and the extra space makes it easier to carry more stuff on the inside and still carry passengers but, I rarely see them in some of the more remote areas I like to get in to unless the road in is not too harsh.

I wish Jeep would out come out with the extended model they had at EJS a couple of years ago, I'd buy it. I forget what it was called but they had the spare 35 mounted underneath and it looked tucked up high enough to not get damaged.

Packing the Jeep for an extended trip is always challenge when I have more than 1 passenger.

I find it hilarious that in the Bay Area how many overlanders commute in a fully equipped rig every day. RTT, gas cans, shovel, axe, sand ladders and of course the obligatory floppy hat. Really an axe and sand ladders to go from San Jose to Cupertino?

Then you have the Subaru crowd. Ugh
IMG_6972.JPG .

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
They want to look like they're in the Australian outback as they drive around town with shovels and roof top tents and shit on their roof. They all look pretty shiney to me. But then again, a lot of built JKs look that way too.

Lol. Don't worry they do it over here too. The number land cruisers and patrols running around with RTTs and all the gear without a hint of bull dust is ridiculous

fiend

Caught the Bug
Lol. Don't worry they do it over here too. The number land cruisers and patrols running around with RTTs and all the gear without a hint of bull dust is ridiculous

Do people there get JKs and put on a bunch of light bars, 20 inch rims, 6 inch lift kits etc and drive around pretending to be in American malls? [emoji23]

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Do people there get JKs and put on a bunch of light bars, 20 inch rims, 6 inch lift kits etc and drive around pretending to be in American malls? [emoji23]

Nah most JKs here have a 2-3" lift and either 33's or 35's and not much else or they are totally chromed out. We leave the 6" lifts with 29" tires to the Nissans.

Speak for yourself dude. I'm way cooler than any Aussie. Except maybe Mel Gibson in mad max. But he's an American now so not sure where that leaves us.

Are you sure? You know Mad Max was a documentary right [emoji6]

Rocksalt

From my experience (I came from Toyota's) if you're into overlanding you're typically not really into "wheeling". You don't do much rock crawling or trail running - it's more fire road exploring. IFS tends to handle the road a lot better for long excursions/does better at speed as well. It's really the comfort factor. Solid axle vehicles are great for hard off roading, but for real road miles they fall short to IFS IRS setups.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

this

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I spend quite a bit of time on the Toyota forums as I own a 2012 Tacoma too. The biggest thing I've noticed is the Toyota's don't do as well on the rocks, in tight places, etc. However, long distance "overlanding" trips are perfect for those kinds of vehicles. That being said, you could have just as much fun in a JK/JKU if set up properly. I think it just depends on what you want.

Now, the guys who run shovels and MAXTRAX on the sides of their roof rack are just posers. I don't know about anyone else, but I've never been in a situation where a plastic board or huge shovel would have helped offroad :idontknow:

toyotire

I spend quite a bit of time on the Toyota forums as I own a 2012 Tacoma too. The biggest thing I've noticed is the Toyota's don't do as well on the rocks, in tight places, etc. However, long distance "overlanding" trips are perfect for those kinds of vehicles. That being said, you could have just as much fun in a JK/JKU if set up properly. I think it just depends on what you want.

Now, the guys who run shovels and MAXTRAX on the sides of their roof rack are just posers. I don't know about anyone else, but I've never been in a situation where a plastic board or huge shovel would have helped offroad :idontknow:

When you are buried up to your eyeballs in snow they help.

Top Bottom