Should I keep my control arm brackets?

rock lobster27

So I have a 4" lift on my jku and I am still getting highway wonder even after my control arm brackets. The brackets did help a ton but still didn't completely fix the problem. So I bought all 8 tereflex adjustable control arms and I'm just wondering if I should keep my control arm brackets on or just remove them. I know the brackets cause me to loose a inch or two of clearance but I honestly haven't had any problems with them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
If you purchased adjustable arms, get rid of the brackets. That's what I would do. With the brackets installed now, what is your caster reading currently at? Also, check to ensure track bar bolts are torqued down to 125 ft lbs. That can cause a wander as well. And of course, look for any worn steering joints.

Jeepfan30

You don't need the drop brackets if you have adjustable control arms. Definitely remove the drop brackets and use the front lower control arms to adjust your caster, and the rear control arms to adjust your pinion angle.

rock lobster27

You don't need the drop brackets if you have adjustable control arms. Definitely remove the drop brackets and use the front lower control arms to adjust your caster, and the rear control arms to adjust your pinion angle.

I just didn't know if leaving the control arm brackets on would give the jeep a better ride since the arms would be more parallel to the ground in stead of at an angle without them.

jeeeep

Hooked
If you purchased adjustable arms, get rid of the brackets. That's what I would do. With the brackets installed now, what is your caster reading currently at? Also, check to ensure track bar bolts are torqued down to 125 ft lbs. That can cause a wander as well. And of course, look for any worn steering joints.

I just didn't know if leaving the control arm brackets on would give the jeep a better ride since the arms would be more parallel to the ground in stead of at an angle without them.

the purpose of the control arm drop brackets was to keep the caster angle the same as it was without the lift thus keeping the track bar and drag link parallel to each other. it also keeps bump steer under check.

That said, i'm still not a fan of the drop bracket solution.

As WJCO suggests, I would measure the caster angle before you change anything else.

IMO changing up parts when you don't know the root cause of the issue is a waste of money and time.

read the section - Setting your Caster and check your current caster.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...nt-End-Alignment?p=42391&viewfull=1#post42391

adjustable control arms allow you to make the adjustments necessary to put the caster angle back to stock but without a raised track bar bracket and drag link flip kit you'll end up with bump steer on a 4" lift.

Adjustable track bars don't really help - I've done that and bump steer is still there...nothing beats a flip kit with the stock track bar.

what other components are on your Jeep? did you change the stock steering stabilizer? track bar bracket?

Last edited:

rock lobster27

the purpose of the control arm drop brackets was to keep the caster angle the same as it was without the lift thus keeping the track bar and drag link parallel to each other. it also keeps bump steer under check.

That said, i'm still not a fan of the drop bracket solution.

As WJCO suggests, I would measure the caster angle before you change anything else.

IMO changing up parts when you don't know the root cause of the issue is a waste of money and time.

read the section - Setting your Caster and check your current caster.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...nt-End-Alignment?p=42391&viewfull=1#post42391

what other components are on your Jeep? did you change the stock steering stabilizer? track bar bracket?

I have evo drag link flip kit, front and rear jks adjustable track bars with front track bar bracket. Fox ats steering stabilizer, and fox shocks. I have checked everything to make sure it's all tight multiple times so I'm sure it is my caster angle.

J

JKDream

Partially correct - drop brackets increase caster but they don't have any effect on your steering angles. When the axle rotates forward (loss of caster) both the knuckle and track bar follow the same decline. They actually primarily reduce brake drive from the suspension compression when you brake. With that said I'm not a fan either, and it's a cheap work around to something easily solved.

To the OP - wandering 9 times out of ten is a lack of caster. With that said don't go crazy with your new control arms and try to dial in 15 degrees like I've seen a couple people do.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I have evo drag link flip kit, front and rear jks adjustable track bars with front track bar bracket. Fox ats steering stabilizer, and fox shocks. I have checked everything to make sure it's all tight multiple times so I'm sure it is my caster angle.

adjustable control arms will allow you to fine tune the caster - have you checked the caster to see where it's at now?

what size/type tire are you running?

toyotire

what tire psi are you running? Often if people are running too high tire pressure they see an improvement if they lower it down to 26-28psi.

Top Bottom