Desert Tires (NV / AZ)

lsv_rick

Good afternoon - first post. I'm about to pull trigger on new tires for my 2013 2-Door JK Sport w/ 2" Rancho Sport. I've had Duratrac's (current) and KO2's in past - love the Duratracs, but there is no snow here in NV. Personally I'm not a fan of the KO2s, I think they suck on wet pavement. I'm looking for input on good tires and load range for NV rocks. Is "E" really necessary for Southwest offroading? Thanks in advance!

Will be 33-34" and have 3.73's.

Last edited:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I've done quite a bit of off roading in the Southwest, in Jeeps and Prerunners. In my opinion, and E rated tire is not necessary, and seems like it would be really stiff for a 2 door. I have had really good luck with BFGs in the past, but you mentioned you didn't care for them. Toyo MTs do great in the desert as well. With all the siping on the new Cooper STT Pros, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try as well. Of course, you have General Grabbers that we're made for the desert, but I've never tried them and have no idea how they would do on wet pavement. I would figure that most ATs would do good in the rain and wet pavement. I can tell you the BFG KM2s I had were terrible in the severe rain we got when I lived in SC. Good luck on your search, I hope you find something that suits your needs!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

robx251

Caught the Bug
If you are happy with the duratracs get another set.

I know that they are odd but have you looked at the duck Commander all terrains? I had a set of the parent company tires on my truck and they worked well all around on all conditions. https://www.amazon.com/265-75R16-Duck-Commander-Tires/dp/B00ZRUBMRI

Or another great option is the Cooper at3
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MXNTMCO/ref=psdcmw_10350137011_t3_B00ZRUBMRI

If you're looking for something completely different and for playing in sand look at superior traction[emoji13] ha ha hope

Sent from my E6820TM using WAYALIFE mobile app

Discount Tire

Good afternoon - first post. I'm about to pull trigger on new tires for my 2013 2-Door JK Sport w/ 2" Rancho Sport. I've had Duratrac's (current) and KO2's in past - love the Duratracs, but there is no snow here in NV. Personally I'm not a fan of the KO2s, I think they suck on wet pavement. I'm looking for input on good tires and load range for NV rocks. Is "E" really necessary for Southwest offroading? Thanks in advance!

Will be 33-34" and have 3.73's.

What size tires are you wanting, something in a 15,16 or 17 inch? I live in Phoenix AX where we have plenty of rugged deserts at our doorstep. Personally I prefer E rated tires as they tend to hols up much better on our sharp rocks. I am currently running the new Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003 285/70R-17 on my FJ Cruiser. They have been excellent so far.

IMG_0479-L.jpg

IMG_0516-L.jpg

Depending on what size you are looking for we would be happy to make a recommendation. Keep in mind you need a tire with a 113 or greater load rating to stay within the manufacturers guidelines.

Here is a link where you can plug in your tire size and search all the tires available in that size:

Search for Tires | Discount Tire Direct

lsv_rick

What size tires are you wanting, something in a 15,16 or 17 inch? I live in Phoenix AX where we have plenty of rugged deserts at our doorstep. Personally I prefer E rated tires as they tend to hols up much better on our sharp rocks. I am currently running the new Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003 285/70R-17 on my FJ Cruiser. They have been excellent so far.

Depending on what size you are looking for we would be happy to make a recommendation. Keep in mind you need a tire with a 113 or greater load rating to stay within the manufacturers guidelines.

Here is a link where you can plug in your tire size and search all the tires available in that size:

Search for Tires | Discount Tire Direct

Thank you - I'll be getting 285/70R17 or 75R17...only have a 2" lift. I'm currently running C Load 255/70R17 Duratracs - slightly afraid of the sidewall after my first trail ride here in Las Vegas area. How bad are E load's on 2-door models? May or may not upgrade wheels - happy to stay with the stock Sport 17's w/ spacers unless I get a good deal...not a big fan of dropping crazy money on aftermarket wheels just to scratch them up on rocks.

madstiles

I don't live in the desert but here in Florida we have a lot of sand and a ton of rain. I went with Cooper st maxx 305-70r18 they're e rated got them from Discount Tire direct for a sweet price and great service. The tire have beyond exceeded my expectations in all environments and aren't as loud as a m/t. They are also m/s rated have holes for studs if you need. When the Nittos on the Avalanche get replaced it'll be getting the st maxx as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Discount Tire

Madstiles, Thank you for your business along with posting your opinion on the ST MAXX Tires.

LSV_Rick, it is difficult to say how much power difference there will be but it should not be a lot. One of my friends is running 35's on his stock 4 door without any upgrades. He does not wheel hard but is on the road every weekend to hidden hiking spots in a lot of remote areas.

Shoot us a PM if you would like a quote.

Top Bottom