Coilover/lift question

flawless2457

Hi all, got a question about coilover setups. I have a stock 2014 JKU and about $3k to spend suspension wise.

My main question is, is a coilover system a lift? Wouldn't one need to change out control arms, etc.. to get the full use out of it?

My plan was 4 of king's 2.0" EMULSION COILOVER SHOCKS and call it a day. (https://genright.com/products/king-2...er-shocks.html)

Am i completely wrong? Is a long arm/mid arm kit needed with the coilovers to make it perform correctly?

Thanks for your help.

J

JKDream

Hi all, got a question about coilover setups. I have a stock 2014 JKU and about $3k to spend suspension wise.

My main question is, is a coilover system a lift? Wouldn't one need to change out control arms, etc.. to get the full use out of it?

My plan was 4 of king's 2.0" EMULSION COILOVER SHOCKS and call it a day. (https://genright.com/products/king-2...er-shocks.html)

Am i completely wrong? Is a long arm/mid arm kit needed with the coilovers to make it perform correctly?

Thanks for your help.

Long arms aren't needed, they actually don't provide any more flex opposed to a short arm setup.
On something like a TJ it would because the arms are very short.
I don't think you'll get a coilover kit for 3k though, but I'm not sure how much cheaper stuff is down there.

flawless2457

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Well the plan was to buy 4 individual coilovers like this (https://www.polyperformance.com/kin...ies-coilover-emulsion-shock-krs-pr2506-conrs/)
But i assume that's not how it works?

Not exactly. You need brackets to attach them to. They don't bolt into the stock shock location. On top of that, there's no guarantee that these have the correct spring rates or valve dampening for your Jeep. You need to get them pre-tuned for your Wrangler or it could ride like shit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I think it requires a 3-5 inch lift and there are kits for the front a and rear that includes certain brackets and other hardware. You can Google the kits but it's going to put you going past 3k unless you find a used set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Well the plan was to buy 4 individual coilovers like this (https://www.polyperformance.com/kin...ies-coilover-emulsion-shock-krs-pr2506-conrs/)
But i assume that's not how it works?

Not exactly. You need brackets to attach them to. They don't bolt into the stock shock location. On top of that, there's no guarantee that these have the correct spring rates or valve dampening for your Jeep. You need to get them pre-tuned for your Wrangler or it could ride like shit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

This - Coilovers need a higher mounting bracket than the stock shock bracket (they also don't fit due to the size with springs on them in the stock shock location).
Dave makes a good point about spring rates - I would look into EVO's bolt on kit personally if you have the cash for it.
You also need to factor in other things like a front driveshaft.

Have to ask - why coilovers? You can get very similar results with a shock/spring setup and it's much more affordable (not talking DTD here).

flawless2457

This - Coilovers need a higher mounting bracket than the stock shock bracket (they also don't fit due to the size with springs on them in the stock shock location).
Dave makes a good point about spring rates - I would look into EVO's bolt on kit personally if you have the cash for it.
You also need to factor in other things like a front driveshaft.

Have to ask - why coilovers? You can get very similar results with a shock/spring setup and it's much more affordable (not talking DTD here).

Honestly just a thought that came up today. My original setup/fund was for a EVO MFG Enforcer kit 4" paired with some Bilstien 5160's or King shocks. Just wanted to be informed/educated on coilovers thats all.

J

JKDream

Honestly just a thought that came up today. My original setup/fund was for a EVO MFG Enforcer kit 4" paired with some Bilstien 5160's or King shocks. Just wanted to be informed/educated on coilovers thats all.

You can't really go wrong either way, enforcers with king shocks pair very well.
That's personally the route I'd go - unless it's a DTD setup I don't see that much value in the bolt ons unless you're doing a lot of high speed desert stuff and on a budget.
That's my opinion though.

flawless2457

You can't really go wrong either way, enforcers with king shocks pair very well.
That's personally the route I'd go - unless it's a DTD setup I don't see that much value in the bolt ons unless you're doing a lot of high speed desert stuff and on a budget.
That's my opinion though.

Any idea if the Enforcer kit is upgradable in stages? Like if i start off with the stage 1 can I upgrade to stage 2, 3 etc.. easy later on?

J

JKDream

Any idea if the Enforcer kit is upgradable in stages? Like if i start off with the stage 1 can I upgrade to stage 2, 3 etc.. easy later on?

It is - the main difference between the kits is just control arms.
Those can always be added later.

jjdias

Yes you can buy a stage 1 and upgrade down the road if needed. I just bought the EVO Enforcer stage 1 with King 2.0's, so far I like. Stage 1 gives you two adjustable links, stage 2 gives you four and stage 3 gives you all 8.

Top Bottom