Rear brakes squeak when hitting bumps?

zimm

Caught the Bug
I've narrowed down my rear squeak to what I think are the rear brakes. Dynatrac progrip. I have speed bumps in my new neighborhood, so I've had time to try this out. The rear has a loud squeak from both sides on the rear axle when hitting an abrupt bump (speed bump). If I drag the brakes, all is quiet.

Also on the trail I get squeaking from the rear end, and if I lightly drag the brakes, all is quiet.

I'm going to pull the wheels tomorrow, but what am I looking for? Anti-rattle clips out of place? I used disk brake quiet (the orange goop) on the back of the pads) when I installed them.

WJCO

Meme King
Not sure if that is your squeak, but I had one of my front rattle clips come out on my ProGrips causing an intermittent squeak. It was the little side holding tabs, one of the anti-rattle pieces had literally only dropped off the caliper bracket may be a 1/16 of an inch but I pushed it back up and it clicked in place and squeak is gone. So when you do inspect those, just make sure they are clicked in place, you'll visually be able to see if this isn't the case.

EXAMPLE: Not ProGrip on this bracket, but should show what I'm talking about:

DSC06918.jpg

Last edited:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Thanks, that gives me something to look for.

Did you ever figure out what was causing the progrips to do this? I have the same exact problem with my progrips in the rear. The rattle around on the trail or and shocking bumps and they squeak. I feel it’s the pins are loose in the dynatrac brackets. All goes away when the brake is applied. I re-greased the caliper pins and it helped but came back soon after. Just frustrating.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Did you ever figure out what was causing the progrips to do this? I have the same exact problem with my progrips in the rear. The rattle around on the trail or and shocking bumps and they squeak. I feel it’s the pins are loose in the dynatrac brackets. All goes away when the brake is applied. I re-greased the caliper pins and it helped but came back soon after. Just frustrating.

2 part for me. Most of the squeak was bent axle flanges. They made the wheels and brakes wobble, which kept the pads pushed apart. I put in Revolution forged and it's much better. I also got a new brake hardware kit from auto zone and used new anti-rattle clips. So far so good. Now that I've change my fronts to the Crown/Ram 1500 brake set up I got a nasty low speed squeal in the front left. Awesome.

Donjohn

2 part for me. Most of the squeak was bent axle flanges. They made the wheels and brakes wobble, which kept the pads pushed apart. I put in Revolution forged and it's much better. I also got a new brake hardware kit from auto zone and used new anti-rattle clips. So far so good. Now that I've change my fronts to the Crown/Ram 1500 brake set up I got a nasty low speed squeal in the front left. Awesome.

this is a good read. thanks for this post. I've been having the same issue and I thought of replacing the pads to a ceramic ones. :D

Slimebones

Glad you got rear noises fixed. As far as brake squeal is concerned (as in your fronts):loud squealing brakes are actually the pads "chattering" at a very rapid rate. To eliminate this, remove the pads and remove the glaze on the contact surface with a belt sander. Alternate method is place a sheet of sandpaper on a very flat surface and in a figure eight pattern sand that glazed finish off. And just as important, slightly bevel the leading edge of the pad. And don't forget the brake clean!

Top Bottom