The axles on my Jeep go "click click click"

Ddays

Hooked
Sooooo, RCV axle shafts. Yes, I bought 'em. :rolleyes2: Had them for 2 years and they have roughly 35k miles on them now. Over the past couple days I've started to notice a click, click, click noise at low speeds from the front end and also some lovely creaking sounds while turning. They are well greased so that's not the issue. This is my first experience with this brand axles. Is this normal/to be expected with these as they age?

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Your title reminded me of this meme:

m3x0n.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Doesn't sound normal to me, but who knows what they'll tell you. I could contact them if indeed the noise is coming from there.

Ddays

Hooked
Your title reminded me of this meme:

Points for noticing!

Doesn't sound normal to me, but who knows what they'll tell you. I could contact them if indeed the noise is coming from there.

I've come across some comments about this. Supposedly they claim that this is normal, at least that's what the company claims.

Eddie has commented many times on RCV's but I seem to remember him commenting on a popping sound. I'm not there yet and if that's where I'm heading I don't know if my little OCD man upstairs
will be able to handle that. The creaking sound sure as hell isn't confidence inspiring I can tell you that. :naw:

WJCO

Meme King
Points for noticing!

Eddie has commented many times on RCV's but I seem to remember him commenting on a popping sound. I'm not there yet and if that's where I'm heading I don't know if my little OCD man upstairs
will be able to handle that. The creaking sound sure as hell isn't confidence inspiring I can tell you that. :naw:

I'm assuming you're running 35 spline?

jeeeep

Hooked
click click click then you'll start hearing click click click clunk...

supposedly all normal.

My in-laws neighbor had them on his trail rig. The popping (binding noise) got so loud he pulled them out and went back to good old u-joint shafts.

He tried to get them replaced but was told it's normal ..oh and the binding clunk was because he was wheeling wrong--oh that got him pissed off!! hahahaha

I don't get how RCV can make the claims they do :icon_crazy:

Ddays

Hooked
click click click then you'll start hearing click click click clunk...

supposedly all normal.

My in-laws neighbor had them on his trail rig. The popping (binding noise) got so loud he pulled them out and went back to good old u-joint shafts.

He tried to get them replaced but was told it's normal ..oh and the binding clunk was because he was wheeling wrong--oh that got him pissed off!! hahahaha

I don't get how RCV can make the claims they do :icon_crazy:

And this is all the stuff I'm afraid of. It has the be the balls inside the cage wearing some and moving around causing the commotion. I'm not a fan of things making noises. Especially when they
sound like "pre-fail" noises. Ugh. Expensive lesson learned here. Not very happy with these things

JeepFan

Hooked
How are your unit bearings? Had a similar sound from front axle area on turns. Turned out to be bad unit bearings. Just my 2 cents.

Ddays

Hooked
How are your unit bearings? Had a similar sound from front axle area on turns. Turned out to be bad unit bearings. Just my 2 cents.

Good point. I did replace them this past Spring and no longer run spacers so I'd be surprised if its that. They have roughly 15,000 miles on them now. I guess that's a good possibility though.
I greased the living hell out of both sides yesterday (they have fittings in the ends - see below when everything was all shiny & new :grayno:) to see if that quiets them down some. If it doesn't
I'm going to look at the unit bearings.

In case anyone was curious what the RCV shafts look like:

19.jpg

20.jpg

rcv_shafts_4.jpg

Attachments

• rcv-performance-cv-joint-rebuild-kit-4.jpg
    rcv-performance-cv-joint-rebuild-kit-4.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 47

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Good point. I did replace them this past Spring and no longer run spacers so I'd be surprised if its that. They have roughly 15,000 miles on them now. I guess that's a good possibility though.
I greased the living hell out of both sides yesterday (they have fittings in the ends - see below when everything was all shiny & new :grayno:) to see if that quiets them down some. If it doesn't
I'm going to look at the unit bearings.

In case anyone was curious what the RCV shafts look like:

View attachment 276968

View attachment 276969

View attachment 276971

It looks like it could be failing without you even visually noticing because it's all covered with a orange condom [emoji52].

With all seriousness, it's sucks that this is happening. I would contact the company and see what they say. Keeps up posted, am curious now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom