When to use 4x4 drive

I normally keep my jeep in 2wd until I need to switch to 4h and then again 4l. Is this a good way to use 4wd or when I get on the dirt should I be in 4h etc....
Trying to put the least amount of stress on the drivelines and axles.

WJCO

Meme King
Keep it in 2wd as long as you can. If you're climbing a steep hill with small rocks, 4 hi. If climbing a hill with big rocks, 4 low.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Keep it in 2wd as long as you can. If you're climbing a steep hill with small rocks, 4 hi. If climbing a hill with big rocks, 4 low.

With the stock Rubi, the sway bar only disconnects in 4h .... So I tend to throw it in 4h as soon as I hit the dirt.... this make the ride more comfortable for the wife & kids.... is that a bad idea?

MonkeyLeo13

I'm curious about when you're on 4L and you start to turn like switchback road, seem like I need to switch from 4L back to 4H so that way it not stress more on front axle, right? I went to Colorado last month and I felt my front steering's getting more stress when I turned the wheel around when I'm on 4L so I start to swtich back and forth between 4H and 4L.

Hope that's right way to do it since 4L disconnect ESC.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Really it depends where you are. Usually in an offroad park I put my Jeep in 4LO at staging and run it all day in 4LO. On dirt roads at high speeds I might throw it in 4HI just to prevent the tail from kicking around (mostly in my Tacoma, as it's so light in the rear). On longer dirt roads traveling at low speeds (usually in a group) I might throw it in 4LO just to avoid riding the clutch.

BlacknRedJK

I'm curious about when you're on 4L and you start to turn like switchback road, seem like I need to switch from 4L back to 4H so that way it not stress more on front axle, right? I went to Colorado last month and I felt my front steering's getting more stress when I turned the wheel around when I'm on 4L so I start to swtich back and forth between 4H and 4L.

Hope that's right way to do it since 4L disconnect ESC.

Steering input shouldn't change 4H vs 4L. Turning in either may be more difficult than 2wd, but the gear reduction at the transfer case between high and low doesn't effect steering. That being said, if you're in 4L and have the front locker engaged the steering is more difficult because the wheels are turning at the same rate.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

eugenethejeep

I normally keep my jeep in 2wd until I need to switch to 4h and then again 4l. Is this a good way to use 4wd or when I get on the dirt should I be in 4h etc....
Trying to put the least amount of stress on the drivelines and axles.

I use 4x4 a lot. It helps smooth out wash board roads. 4 low is really nice backing up my trailer. In Alaska it is common to put your rig in 4 high at the start of winter and leave it there until spring, even on dry pavement. The gears in your front axel are turning all the time anyway. I think the point of the Jeep is to enjoy the outdoors and not worry about what extra wear that may or may not be taking place, happy Jeeping

Clutch

Caught the Bug
When it comes to lockers, I only use them when absolutely required and I try an obstacle with rear engaged first. If I still can get over then I kick on the front.

MacRubi2

With the stock Rubi, the sway bar only disconnects in 4h .... So I tend to throw it in 4h as soon as I hit the dirt.... this make the ride more comfortable for the wife & kids.... is that a bad idea?

Wouldn't that be 4Low when the sway bar can be disconnected 😉

A JK 2010

When I go out wheeling I will use 2wd until I get to a steep hill or Obstacle than I will put it in 4 lo For my lockers I usually try and obstacle first ( I don’t try and kill my jeep not locked ) before I lock it up.

kawimoto

Depends on speed and terrain. Also whether your auto or manual. If your low speed and auto, go ahead and go 4lo just to keep the torque converter happier and not slipping so much and building unnecessary heat. Otherwise keep it in 2wd as long as traction will permit so your driveline is under less stress

When u start to loose traction or can't make it over an obstacle, when i go wheeling i keep my rig in 2wd until i feel the need, or not getting enough traction or can't get over an obstacle in 2wd.

JeepJeep75

This is drawing from personal experience of having the jeeps safety devices nearly causing me to flop the jeep over on its side. In a rented 2012 manual trans jeep, I was climbing up towards the top of a loose dirt/rock hill in 2wd. I figured once it broke traction I'd stop and shift it into 4low. Well, the moment I lost traction and stopped moving forward, I went to hit the brakes and clutch. At that moment the jeep rolled backwards maybe 6 inches. The immediate backwards momentum triggered the ABS system (still in 2wd) and I could NOT stop the jeep from rolling backwards on the loose dirt hill. Now I'm going backwards down the steep hill, picking up speed, unable to stop. I thought I was going to break off the brake pedal because I was pushing it so hard. Now the jeep is going backwards, and I'm panicking trying to stop it. If I had it in 4low, the ESP and ABS are switched off and I would've just skidded to a stop. Not in 2wd though!! Some how, I made it backwards to the bottom of the hill where it flattened out. The sides of the road were built up so if I had went towards either side, I'd have dumped the jeep over for sure. I will NEVER not be in either 4hi or 4low again while screwing around off road. Lesson learned the hard way...[emoji106]

jesse3638

Hooked

I throw it in 4lo from the start and just shift through the gears.

This is drawing from personal experience of having the jeeps safety devices nearly causing me to flop the jeep over on its side. In a rented 2012 manual trans jeep, I was climbing up towards the top of a loose dirt/rock hill in 2wd. I figured once it broke traction I'd stop and shift it into 4low. Well, the moment I lost traction and stopped moving forward, I went to hit the brakes and clutch. At that moment the jeep rolled backwards maybe 6 inches. The immediate backwards momentum triggered the ABS system (still in 2wd) and I could NOT stop the jeep from rolling backwards on the loose dirt hill. Now I'm going backwards down the steep hill, picking up speed, unable to stop. I thought I was going to break off the brake pedal because I was pushing it so hard. Now the jeep is going backwards, and I'm panicking trying to stop it. If I had it in 4low, the ESP and ABS are switched off and I would've just skidded to a stop. Not in 2wd though!! Some how, I made it backwards to the bottom of the hill where it flattened out. The sides of the road were built up so if I had went towards either side, I'd have dumped the jeep over for sure. I will NEVER not be in either 4hi or 4low again while screwing around off road. Lesson learned the hard way...[emoji106]

Damn I never even thought of that. I've been at work in the dunes and in our F-250 Superduty had that happen while facing down hill. That would have been scary as hell. I've been messing around on fire roads and sliding corners in 2wd with the traction control off but the ESC is still enabled and went to work. It definitely straightens the vehicle out in a skid but when your intentionally sliding and counter steering straight for me was pointing over the side. Fortunately I was able to slow down enough to turn and make the corner. Thats scary too.

BlacknRedJK

Damn I never even thought of that. I've been at work in the dunes and in our F-250 Superduty had that happen while facing down hill. That would have been scary as hell. I've been messing around on fire roads and sliding corners in 2wd with the traction control off but the ESC is still enabled and went to work. It definitely straightens the vehicle out in a skid but when your intentionally sliding and counter steering straight for me was pointing over the side. Fortunately I was able to slow down enough to turn and make the corner. Thats scary too.

I have had this happen too. Sliding the jeep around in the snow in 2wd with traction control off only to find out ESC will still straighten you out. Ended up pointing straight the wrong direction and almost took out an axle sliding into a curb sideways.

Top Bottom