Jeep won’t start

Jranso04

I need some help. I drove my jeep running some errands then left it for about 30 minutes and tried to start it but it won’t start. There’s barely any clicking or anything from the battery or starter. I charged up the battery for about 20 minutes and it says I still got juice so I’m not sure if it’s my starter. I know it’s hard to tell not being able to hear what it’s doing and see it in person but any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Make sure terminals are clean, etc. Also see if lights and radio, etc work. If they do, chances are the battery is not the issue. Only real way to tell is a load test.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Tap the starter with a hammer or rubber mallet. Also, have your battery load tested. A few months ago I had a similar issue with my TJ and thought for sure it wasn't the battery. Turns out... it was the battery. Bad cell. Made it look like it was in full working order, but when I would go to start it... nothing.

Chad

Clean your battery terminals, and get your battery tested. Strong possibility of a new battery in your jeep's future. Keep us posted.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Check the battery at a local auto parts store... But take it out to do so if you can. Taking it inside is the best way of testing it. I know because on top of being a machinist I also worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts for about 3 or 4 years off and on part-time. Starters and batteries will both act identical. And if your battery is bad or not wanting to hold charge, could be your alternator as well. If you have an extra vehicle pull all three of them off and take them in if you don't want to hassle with guessing off and on. But the battery would be the simplest thing to start with.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jranso04

Turned out to be the starter. Got underneath and hit it with a hammer a few times and started right up. I’m going to call one into my local mechanic and put it in as soon as possible. Thanks for the help guys just got a little freaked out because I need to be home tomorrow for some family reasons and I needed to figure it out quick

PT1400

I’m not sure how old the battery is.

When you get the new battery, scratch off the month and the last digit of the year. So in 5 years or so it doesn't happen again.

BTW, go on YouTube and find a video on how to change the starter. Take the old on with you to the auto parts store for the core credit when you buy the new one. Install the new one. Thank the YouTube guy and save yourself the $100-200 you'd pay the mechanic.

Seriously, its an easy job.

Last edited:

Dever

When you get the new battery, scratch off the month and the last digit of the year. So in 5 years or so it doesn't happen again.

BTW, go on YouTube and find a video on how to change the starter. Take the old on with you to the auto parts store for the core credit when you buy the new one. Install the new one. Thank the YouTube guy and save yourself the $100-200 you'd pay the mechanic.

Seriously, its an easy job.

Bolts are hard to get to, but it's a 20 minute job. Just replaced mine Tuesday.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom