Advice needed

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
So I drove by a dealership and saw this beauty.
zcamera-20170922_131831.jpeg
It's 2015 and the previous owner put on what looks like a evo double throw down system package. Instead of evo arms however I see TeraFlex. 40 inch tires but the dealership is unsure about axles and I don't have enough knowledge to tell. Just from examining them the rear looks like dana 60. Can anyone confirm?
zcamera-20170922_132144.jpg
She has 40k miles and priced at 35k. Sounds like a steal to me. The front end looks upgraded but unsure of the brand.
zcamera-20170922_132435.jpeg
zcamera-20170922_132459.jpg
zcamera-20170922_132522.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
The drag link and tie rod are Synergy. Looks like it could use a raised track bar mount in the front & rear as well as a drag link flip kit. Like others said, depending if its a Rubicon or other level, 40" tires on a D44 are pretty dumb.
40" tires on a D30 would be retarded. Are you interested in this or was this just a driveby? This isn't at Starwood is it?

Edit: I bet this thing is a real handful at 65mph!

jesse3638

Hooked
The drag link and tie rod are Synergy. Looks like it could use a raised track bar mount in the front & rear as well as a drag link flip kit. Like others said, depending if its a Rubicon or other level, 40" tires on a D44 are pretty dumb.
40" tires on a D30 would be retarded. Are you interested in this or was this just a driveby? This isn't at Starwood is it?

Edit: I bet this thing is a real handful at 65mph!

Just because you can 40" doesn't mean you should...;). Yeah, for the asking price I bet its been sold at least one other time and the owner didn't like how it drove or something and traded it back in. Seems like the dealer made a mistake and are trying to recoup some funds before resorting to auction.

Last edited:

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Well from what they told me it was bought at an auction. I actually drove it and it handled beautifully although I only got it up to 60ish. I was just unsure if the axles were upgraded, I know it's unwise to have stock axles on 40s. I was hoping it had dana 60 in the rear and 44 up front. Would that even be enough? I'm not that interested in it but it did catch my eye and I really just wanted to see how the double throw down on 40s rode.

jesse3638

Hooked
Well from what they told me it was bought at an auction. I actually drove it and it handled beautifully although I only got it up to 60ish. I was just unsure if the axles were upgraded, I know it's unwise to have stock axles on 40s. I was hoping it had dana 60 in the rear and 44 up front. Would that even be enough? I'm not that interested in it but it did catch my eye and I really just wanted to see how the double throw down on 40s rode.

Enough to drive around town=sure...:crazyeyes:. Enough to use mildly off road=no

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
And that's why I thought I would post this up. Apparently I need more experience looking for good jeeps. Thanks guys. Deep down I really prefer to just upgrade mine anyway but thought I saw a good deal. What's so bad with this build so I can educate myself. The axles I know, if they are stock, but anything else that is terrible?

Ddays

Hooked
For one thing those Rebel kits use a mounting bracket in the front that is much higher than the EVO bolt on kit. That will raise your center of gravity. Even though they lift the Jeep higher they offer less
travel than the EVO kit. That thing is also screaming for track bar relocation brackets on the axles. That thing should have bump-steered significantly. 40" tires on the stock front end would kill all of the components
in a short period of time. They just aren't heavy duty enough.

PS: That isn't a DTD setup. Its a coilover system with long arms, although it could be a standard lift with standard arms. I couldn't see where the arms mount on the chassis. A DTD is coilovers paired with bypass shocks, like this:

407983_orig.jpg

Last edited:
J

JKDream

40" tires on the stock front end would kill all of the components

You mean I can't run 40s on a Dana 30!?
But a friend of a friend who drives a Prius has another friend who does it and it never breaks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
For one thing those Rebel kits use a mounting bracket in the front that is much higher than the EVO bolt on kit. That will raise your center of gravity. Even though they lift the Jeep higher they offer less
travel than the EVO kit. That thing is also screaming for track bar relocation brackets on the axles. That thing should have bump-steered significantly. 40" tires on the stock front end would kill all of the components

PS: That isn't a DTD setup. Its a coilover system with long arms, although it could be a standard lift with standard arms. I couldn't see where the arms mount on the chassis. A DTD is coilovers paired with bypass shocks, like this:

View attachment 277016
Thanks for taking the time and I see the difference now. Very informative.

jeeeep

Hooked
First thing that stood out to me is it looks like it's had all the Jeep stickers removed.

If it were a Rubicon I suspect they would have that sticker on the hood since it would be a selling point.

Given the price, it's likely a Sport with D30 front, D44 rear - wonder if it's been regeared for the 40's.

that's a rebel coilover kit on it, hard to tell which King Shockes.

the front are Synergy tie rod and drag link but not the flip drag link and using the stock track bar without a raised track bar bracket.

40's and no steering assist?? it felt fine during slow steering?

they are looking for the unsuspecting individual that can't see past the "big" tires :naw:

zimm

Caught the Bug
Track bars are too low front and rear. Front axle will break. How much are they asking? Oh and what axle gearing? What year jeep?

Last edited:
Top Bottom