Hydrolocked engine comprehensive coverage

Clark Collins

I just wanted to let forum members know that my comprehensive insurance covered the damage done to my Jeep when I mis-judged the depth of a creek crossing. In the process of browsing this forum, and other JK forums online, I saw where some other Jeepers got their repairs paid for by their comprehensive insurance. I finally checked with my insurance carrier and they are covering the damage to my rig. I am really surprised and I told them exactly how it happened. The repair shop that I took it too said the auto transmission should be replaced, as well as the engine, because it was full of water when they checked it out. My Jeep spent quite a bit of time in water over the hood, so the water must have gone in the Transmission breather hose. I plan to install a snorkel after I get the Jeep back. Although the damage was covered by my insurance I want to avoid this kind of problem in the future.

jesse3638

Hooked
I just wanted to let forum members know that my comprehensive insurance covered the damage done to my Jeep when I mis-judged the depth of a creek crossing. In the process of browsing this forum, and other JK forums online, I saw where some other Jeepers got their repairs paid for by their comprehensive insurance. I finally checked with my insurance carrier and they are covering the damage to my rig. I am really surprised and I told them exactly how it happened. The repair shop that I took it too said the auto transmission should be replaced, as well as the engine, because it was full of water when they checked it out. My Jeep spent quite a bit of time in water over the hood, so the water must have gone in the Transmission breather hose. I plan to install a snorkel after I get the Jeep back. Although the damage was covered by my insurance I want to avoid this kind of problem in the future.

That's good to know and even better that you were honest. I just avoid water and puddles all together unless I simply cannot avoid them. I hate mud and have no business trying to cross headlight deep water. That is my position on it..haha

desertrunner

I did the exact same thing with my old 08 that I hydrolocked as well. I have insurance through USAA but I had my jeep towed to the 4x4 shop in town I always went to and my insurance company found a donor motor that had only 15k miles on it and sent it to the shop my jeep was at. They also sent a check to that shop that covered the cost I got quoted minus my deductible. So essentially all I had to do was pay the shop the difference that my insurance check didn't cover which was actually a little less than my deductible.

Worked out well in my case and USAA took really good care of me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I did the exact same thing with my old 08 that I hydrolocked as well. I have insurance through USAA but I had my jeep towed to the 4x4 shop in town I always went to and my insurance company found a donor motor that had only 15k miles on it and sent it to the shop my jeep was at. They also sent a check to that shop that covered the cost I got quoted minus my deductible. So essentially all I had to do was pay the shop the difference that my insurance check didn't cover which was actually a little less than my deductible.

Worked out well in my case and USAA took really good care of me.

That's good to know since I have USAA also.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked

Living in Michigan, water crossings are part of Jeeping here. I run a AEV hood and snorkel with a pre filter on it. I made sure to water tight the air box as best as I could by siliconing shut the drains in the bottom of the air box. The other important item you need to address are the axle and transmission breather tubes. Replace them with ARB differential breather kits. One up front and one in the back. Get them up as high as you can.

Clark Collins

extend breather hoses

I intend to do something about the breather hoses also, including the transmission and transfer case. Has anyone tried the billows type breathers rather than hoses? Has anyone routed their hoses into the bottom of the airbox?

wjtstudios

Hooked
I intend to do something about the breather hoses also, including the transmission and transfer case. Has anyone tried the billows type breathers rather than hoses? Has anyone routed their hoses into the bottom of the airbox?

I looked at doing that after I installed the snorkel. It was a lot easier to run the ARB breathers instead so I when that route.

aTX427

I am surprised they didn't just total it out. I have a friend who is an adjuster for State Farm and he said they don't bother trying to fix water damaged vehicles due to the electrical gremlins that can follow.

desertrunner

I am surprised they didn't just total it out. I have a friend who is an adjuster for State Farm and he said they don't bother trying to fix water damaged vehicles due to the electrical gremlins that can follow.
When they swapped my engine the insurance check was about $5500 so pretty far from totalling my jeep.

desertrunner

Yeah as far as I know mine did not have any electrical issues, I'm not sure if they just used the harness from the donor engine or what but I had my jeep back in 2 days and had zero issues with the new engine other than my odometer no longer being the mileage on the engine.

Living in Michigan, water crossings are part of Jeeping here. I run a AEV hood and snorkel with a pre filter on it. I made sure to water tight the air box as best as I could by siliconing shut the drains in the bottom of the air box. The other important item you need to address are the axle and transmission breather tubes. Replace them with ARB differential breather kits. One up front and one in the back. Get them up as high as you can.

Where are you water crossing? Last I checked they fined by the tire if you cross a moving body of water.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I'm confused. Why would anyone think they wouldn't be covered? That's the entire point of comprehensive insurance. Your rates are definitely going to go up but that's why you have insurance. It's no different than you plowing into a wall.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I'm confused. Why would anyone think they wouldn't be covered? That's the entire point of comprehensive insurance. Your rates are definitely going to go up but that's why you have insurance. It's no different than you plowing into a wall.

Well, if you plow into a wall that’s your collision insurance, not comprehensive. ;-)

~Scooby

Top Bottom