Another "accident, anything I am missing" question...

el_chupo_

I hate to add to the list of those recently involved in an accident, but on Tuesday I was rear ended in the Jeep.

Stop and go traffic on highway commute, I was stopped, she said she was "putting her coffee cup down". I had been watching her in my mirror, as she was following a bit close, and stopping a bit late for the previous few hundred yards. I would estimate she was doing about 5mph or so. Sort of tore up her Kia Soul, hood folded up, grill pushed back, etc. No obvious damage to my jeep, so we exchanged info, I followed her to the next exit to a gas station to make sure she made it off the highway safely so she could call whomever she needed, and I kept on trucking.

I was volunteering with Habitat on a house build that day, so I figured I would worry about it that afternoon, but her insurance called me about 2 hours later with a claim number and started that process.

That afternoon I looked a bit closer, and (as the insurance lady suggested), my tire carrier is bent a bit, and the bumper *may* be pushed in a little, but it isnt much if any. It is an LOD signature shorty with linked tire carrier, and it still operates OK, I can open and close things, etc.

I stopped by a collision place this morning, they said to bring it in on Tuesday and they would start the process.

Right now I am not sure how I will proceed - assuming there is no frame or body damage I missed, should I worry about replacing the bumper/tire carrier? Any problems I might run into if I dont? I dont abuse my jeep, but it has some of natures pinstriping applied, the sliders may have pivoted on a rock or two, and the skids underneath and bottom of the rear bumper have a few scratches that did not come pre-installed, so its not a complete mall crawler - it is going to show some signs of use regardless.

Or, should I leave it on there, pocket the check as "diminished value" that I will lose upon sale, and keep on keeping on? I kept factory bumper and tire carrier for sale/trade in purposes as well, and I am not looking to take advantage or rip off an insurance company or the young lady for a new set of tires or anything - just not sure I want to have that money hanging off the back of the Jeep when what is on there works fine too.

Sorry about the pics - they all show regularly on my computer, and I tried uploading both "upright" and "upsidedown" from my computer and they both showed up like below...

IMG_3360.jpg IMG_3363.jpg IMG_3364.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Here's the photos right side up. I don't see the bend either. I would just take whatever money they give you and leave the carrier the way it is if it's working OK.

IMG_20170923_074150_554.jpg

IMG_20170923_074210_475.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
I have the same bumper but the non-linked version. Mine has always looked like it slightly angled towards the jeep at the top. I believe in the directions it states this too. If all works well and they are offering diminished value I'd take it and call if good. I was in my accident the same day.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

el_chupo_

Sorry, those photos dont show the bend, just got a shot of it - it is the bottom of the tire carrier. Its not a huge amount, but the driver side is noticeably titled up from parallel to the bumper.

Also, I am not sure about what looks like a gap at the bottom of the door. Didnt really look too much at that area before.

I just noticed the tire carrier bend when leaving the house that afternoon in a different vehicle.

IMG_3369.jpg IMG_3370.jpg IMG_3371.jpg

el_chupo_

That was my thought, but dropped it off at a local shop, they did a bit of checking, removal, and reinstall, and all was good. Movement appeared to be 100% correctable, no damage.

Owner of the shop had a Jeep too, took a bit of time working on it and got it back to me same day.

LOD bumper 1
Kia Soul 0

Top Bottom