EVO Mfg hinged gate carrier - rattles

GraniteJeepy

After owning my JKU HR for a year, and because of pressure from my friend/another jeep owner ;-), I installed (done by a local shop) the EVO Enforcer Stage Two 3" lift, AEV Pintler wheels, and BFG 35" KO2 tires. I couldn't be happier with the new look and stance. I also installed the EVO hinged gate carrier. This I did myself and followed the instructions, including ensuring that I didn't open the gate before tightening the bolts. However, there is a new rattle in the tailgate area and it seems to be on the driver's size around where the gate latches to the body. I had someone ride in the back to verify this. The gate rattles both when the spare is mounted and when removed. Have any of you experienced this? Any ideas what I can do to resolve this? The other thing I'm not pleased about is how the gate aligns with the body on the passenger side. Someone else posted this same issue and it look like EVO needs to supply an additional spacer to help this align flush with the body.

Attachments

• EVO gate carrier alignment.jpg
    EVO gate carrier alignment.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 254
  • Jeep Rear.jpg
    Jeep Rear.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 257
  • Jeep Side.jpg
    Jeep Side.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 274

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Have the same inset on the the tailgate, a few spacers may fix that. I have zero rattling what so ever. Great carrier for my 35s on slabs.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Paws

I have the same alignment too. No rattles and it’s carrying 37s on slabs.

Is the rattle coming from within the rear door or the tire carrier itself?

Rig looks nice!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I have similar alignment issues with mine. I do have a bit of a squeak in the left rear (no rattles) that could be the carrier, but haven't been able to confirm that or where it's coming from.

GraniteJeepy

Thanks for the recommendations. I checked tightness of all bolts. The tailgate is solid. I even opened the gate and tried lifting it up and down...no noises. The noise does sound like it’s coming from the gate area. I did install a couple of washers on each end of the top passenger side hinge and was able to align the tailgate with the body. I contacted the dealer and asked that they ship another spacer (not sure why EVO doesn’t include two spacers for the top). I did search online and found others experiencing the same noise and already tried their recommendations. The one thing I noticed is that the tailgate does sag a bit on the driver’s side. I’m going to loosen the gate hinge bolts and try to align this.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

kingsize

Feel free to give us a call @ 714-879-8913. We're in the office @ EVO MFG from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM pacific time Monday - Friday.

Thank you,
Robert @ EVO MFG.

Top Bottom