Dynomax Exhaust Questions

J

JKDream

Looking at piecing together their axle dump exhaust setup and getting rid of my horrid flowmaster kit.
Could you theoretically grab one of their mufflers and downturns and just cut/bolt it on?
Or is there more to the kit that I'm missing? I don't think they offer this one anymore.

main.jpg

I'm just looking to get something higher up, my current muffler tips have been flattened pretty bad.

WJCO

Meme King
I would think you could. Message dynomax. Matt knows all the dimensions on these mufflers they make. I would think if someone has done it, he would have an answer of what fits there. I am pretty sure you have to fabricate the hanger at the turn down though.

BaddestCross

I want to do the same thing. If you get the part number for that tip with the hanger post on it, please pass it along. I installed their kit that 4WP sells but the tailpipe exits under the bumper on the driver's side and I'm gonna crush it the first time I drop off a ledge.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Ddays

Hooked
I want to do the same thing. If you get the part number for that tip with the hanger post on it, please pass it along. I installed their kit that 4WP sells but the tailpipe exits under the bumper on the driver's side and I'm gonna crush it the first time I drop off a ledge.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

This is the one I used

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-hvh11s/overview/

For thru turndown I bought a 90 degree piece from the local parts store and made my own turndown, The pre-made one I used wasn't long enough and I burned the shit of of my e-brake cable.

0721172100.jpg

0721172130a.jpg

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Looking at piecing together their axle dump exhaust setup and getting rid of my horrid flowmaster kit.
Could you theoretically grab one of their mufflers and downturns and just cut/bolt it on?
Or is there more to the kit that I'm missing? I don't think they offer this one anymore.

View attachment 277216

I'm just looking to get something higher up, my current muffler tips have been flattened pretty bad.

they still make that kit - just installed it on my 2010 - what year is your Jeep?

http://www.dynomax.com/single-2-5-cat-back-system-ultra-flo-polished-muffler-39374.html

http://www.dynomax.com/single-2-5-cat-back-system-ultra-flo-polished-muffler-39375.html

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
As Jeeeep asked, what year model is your Jeep? You may not be happy with that system, if you have a 3.6L. It's pretty loud, and drones with the 3.6L.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I would think you could. Message dynomax. Matt knows all the dimensions on these mufflers they make. I would think if someone has done it, he would have an answer of what fits there. I am pretty sure you have to fabricate the hanger at the turn down though.

The exhaust hanger on the muffler tip bolts into the evap, other than that it's just the muffler and a clamp. I think you can still piece together this kit

Yeah I don't think there would be much issue without the intermediate pipe if you just used an exhaust spreader.
With that said I actually found the kit on amazon late last night for $200 CAD shipped so I just grabbed everything.
It was cheaper than piecing it together :thumb:

Here's all the part numbers for the kit :)
Hanger w/ post: 51084
EVAP Hanger: 36517
Muffler: 17263
Intermediate Pipe: 52514 (for 07-11)
Intermediate Pipe: 52355 (for 12+)

As Jeeeep asked, what year model is your Jeep? You may not be happy with that system, if you have a 3.6L. It's pretty loud, and drones with the 3.6L.

It's a 2013. I watched Eddies video and the sound was much better. The drone doesn't bother me too bad.
My current kit just sounds like a fart can on a Honda. Been on there since I bought it used. So horrid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sullivan

Just added this to my 3.8L. God is it horrible. Idle on the trail is somewhat tolerable, but driving is pointless. Very much the same as having no exhaust at all.

Sullivan

The drone is absolutely insane.
And I will say that they have the directions say to cut off 2" of the intermediate pipe before the muffler. Problem is hat you aren't actually supposed to. Now my muffler hits the cross member

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Here is what mine looks like...it’s not the best picture but that the best I currently have on my phone.

IMG_5834.JPG

I did fit my system before I cut the intermediate pipe, so I realized that I didn’t have to cut it so I don’t any interference issues. I guess I got lucky for not following the directions.

I’ve been running it for just over a year now. I have an ‘07 JKUR manual with the original 3.8L. The exhaust system sound changed over various heating & cooling cycles and has stayed pretty much the same for the last 8 or so months. I have a manual so I have more control over the sound at certain speeds depending on the gear I’m using. I find the drone comes on when I’m using an under-powered gear (too high) for the speed that I’m doing. My exhaust drones when I stay at 2200-2350 RPMs for more than 5 seconds.

'07 JKUR

Last edited:
J

JKDream

The drone is absolutely insane.
And I will say that they have the directions say to cut off 2" of the intermediate pipe before the muffler. Problem is hat you aren't actually supposed to. Now my muffler hits the cross member

Yeah good thing I read about that before hand. I think you actually have to for a two door though?

Here is what mine looks like...it’s not the best picture but that the best I currently have on my phone.

View attachment 277352

I did fit my system before I cut the intermediate pipe, so I realized that I didn’t have to cut it so I don’t any interference issues. I guess I got lucky for not following the directions.

I’ve been running it for just over a year now. I have an ‘07 JKUR manual with the original 3.8L. The exhaust system sound changed over various heating & cooling cycles and has stayed pretty much the same for the last 8 or so months. I have a manual so I have more control over the sound at certain speeds depending on the gear I’m using. I find the drone comes on when I’m using an under-powered gear (too high) for the speed that I’m doing. My exhaust drones when I stay at 2200-2350 RPMs for more than 5 seconds.

'07 JKUR

Interesting.. My current setup is already loud - it just sounds so unbelievably bad.
Hoping someone with a 3.6 that has this chimes in if there's any difference.
I did notice the 3.8's do seem a lot louder with the stock mufflers than the 3.6's.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Yeah good thing I read about that before hand. I think you actually have to for a two door though?

Interesting.. My current setup is already loud - it just sounds so unbelievably bad.
Hoping someone with a 3.6 that has this chimes in if there's any difference.
I did notice the 3.8's do seem a lot louder with the stock mufflers than the 3.6's.

I know Eddie mentioned in another thread about this exhaust setup that there is another component (a resonator) that is required to be installed before this muffler for a 3.6L JK.

'07 JKUR

J

JKDream

I know Eddie mentioned in another thread about this exhaust setup that there is another component (a resonator) that is required to be installed before this muffler for a 3.6L JK.

'07 JKUR

I think that's the quiet crawler.

IMG_5869.jpg

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I think that's the quiet crawler.

View attachment 277356

You’re absolutely correct with the Quiet Crawler but I thought it was the same resonator used with this muffler but upstream of it. Hopefully someone else who is running it will chime in.

I will agree with you that our setup is a bit louder than I would like on long drives. I find it tolerable for short around the town drives and off-road.

'07 JKUR

J

JKDream

Unbearable. That's why it isn't on Rubicat anymore. I had it, with a 3.6, and ditched it. I run the Quiet Crawler set up, now.

Do you have a link to the quiet crawler setup?
The ones I see on their website unless I'm blind don't dump before the rear axle.

Top Bottom