Largest tire I can run, and keep the Jeep stock? 18 inch wheels.

SISSOU

Hello everyone,

The JKU rubicon recon is delivered in europe with 18" wheels...
What is the maximum size I can put in by leaving my vehicle 100% stock?

Thank you.

jknikos

You can put a 33inch tall tire. It will have minor rubbing at full flex only. You will probably need wheel spacers to fix the backspacing issue.

SISSOU

thank you
I suspected that I could go up 33" tires but I wanted confirmation.
What size of spacer?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Your factory tires should be 255/70r18. Converted, that is about 32.1 x 10. You may be able to run a tire that is taller, and still around 10 inches wide, without spacers. As you move toward 11 inches wide, or more, I'd expect some rubbing to occur. Spacers are an easy fix, though.

Try this tire size converter.

https://tiresize.com/converter/

I edited the thread title, and that may help you get responses from members that have done what you are thinking of doing.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

SISSOU

Thank you very much for editing the title of my post!
Yes indeed there is not much difference between the two tires ...
The goal is to have a coherent vehicle, without lift, protect well under and on the sills to keep the comfort and even to be able to make some bad track.
would it make more sense to pass my wheels in 17" to mount my tires in 33" ???

notnalc68

Thank you very much for editing the title of my post!
Yes indeed there is not much difference between the two tires ...
The goal is to have a coherent vehicle, without lift, protect well under and on the sills to keep the comfort and even to be able to make some bad track.
would it make more sense to pass my wheels in 17" to mount my tires in 33" ???

Maybe Discount Tire can chime in. 17 vs. 18 would be a matter of personal preference, although there may be more tire choices in 17 inch. I would think you could get what you are looking for, by going with a taller tire, and trying to stay around 10 to 10.5 inches wide.

gamerxe

16's

the 16" wheel most likely wont fit on the recon. It has larger brakes up front. I had to relocate the wheel weights when balancing because they rubbed the caliper on the factory 17's.

SISSOU

the 16" wheel most likely wont fit on the recon. It has larger brakes up front. I had to relocate the wheel weights when balancing because they rubbed the caliper on the factory 17's.

I m not sure because the european Recon is not the same like the US...
But i can take a mistake.

The good operation is to stock the 18" genuine wheels for the road and take the 17" with 33" tires for off road...
What do you think ?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I m not sure because the european Recon is not the same like the US...
But i can take a mistake.

The good operation is to stock the 18" genuine wheels for the road and take the 17" with 33" tires for off road...
What do you think ?

I think it's a good idea in theory but if you go off-road a lot you'll get sick of changing wheels.

SISSOU

Ok !
Thank you for the answers...

I think the best deal is to buy some All Terrain tires, They are not much agressive for the road !

I don t use a translator at every time, this is why ma language is not too good, thank you for the effort you make me to read :clap2:

Last edited:

notnalc68

Ok !
Thank you for the answers...

I think the best deal is to buy some All Terrain tires, They are not much agressive for the road !

I don t use a translator at every time, this is why ma language is not too good, thank you for the effort you make me to read :clap2:

If you are mostly on road, you may want to look a Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. They are great street tires, with good tread life, and will work pretty well, off road.

jknikos

In france you will be able to find Bfgs KO2s easily. Bfgoodrich uses Michelin's network to distribute their tires in Europe.

BlackKnight

I'm running 32' General G2's and stock height still on un-cut stock fenders and hafe only a slight rub on the swaybar for turning, no rub on obstacles. 33 is think, as others have said, would probably me max to retain stock everything.

Bob

Top Bottom