Teraflex big brake kit... Worth it?

robx251

Caught the Bug
I'm considering doing the teraflex big brake kit on the front of my jk. I'm running 35s on my standard 2016 jkr. Is it worth the coin for the kit?

Sent from my E6820TM using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I think the Teraflex kit requires replacing the master cylinder too. Quite a bit more PITA, IMO.

raginkgin1

X3 for the Dynatrac Progrips. May just be me but I have replace rear brake pads more frequently that front. With that in mind I went looking for an easy upgrade on both front and rear.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Yeah rear pads wear out faster than fronts due to the traction control operation. I replaced my rear pads with EBCs at 35k kms and my fronts still have plenty left at 60k kms

NVAnvilJK

I have heard nothing but good things about the Dynatrac brakes. That said, I have the TeraFlex front and backs and have been very pleased. They initially felt a bit spongy, but firmed up nicely once broken in. Though I considered doing so, I did not have to replace the Master cylinder and it has not proven to be a problem. The stopping distance over stock, particularly with the added weight of bumpers and bigger tires, is significantly better than stock.

jeeeep

Hooked
Dynatrac ProGrip hands down...

my buddy had the TF big brake kit and removed it once he drove my Jeep on the trail, I'm running 37's he's running 35's.

He never liked how the TF kit would nose dive when needing to brake hard

jknikos

One of my 'jeep-buddies' put the teraflex kit with slotted discs and the the slots disappeared within the fist six months. No hard driving and just a 2dr with 35s. As for stopping power it was better than stock but not necessary for a 2dr manual with 35s IMO.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dynatrac ProGrip hands down...

my buddy had the TF big brake kit and removed it once he drove my Jeep on the trail, I'm running 37's he's running 35's.

He never liked how the TF kit would nose dive when needing to brake hard

This ^^^^

Doing a side by side test, I found that the TF kit will do a better job of stopping over stock BUT at the cost of nose diving and still didn't stop as well as ProGrips. For the cost and performance, the ProGrips are a better buy.

thombull

I have the Teraflex Big brake kit with slotted rotors front and back along with the master cylinder, I have a 2010 jku, I went with this kit because it was the only one available at the time. That said, I'm running 37 in. Tires and it made a big difference in stopping. Haven't had any experience yet with the Pro Grips. Not like I have money to run out and change something that's been working either.

Sent from my QMV7A using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
...and no one is suggesting you change. We are simply telling a member, that has not made a purchase yet, about our experiences with Dynatrac.

Exactly! The OP was asking whether or not the TF kit was "worth it" and I think we're just letting him know that we don't think so especially being that there are better options available. :yup:

trailraider

i think the simplicity of the change on the dynatracs alone is worth it.

i don't have anything other then stock right now . but all my research has lead me down the path of dynatrac.

Sahara_Maverick

You can also run a few tests just by changing the pads.
I used EBC's "yellow stuff" and they would stop my JKU way faster than the stock pads and had virtually no issue with overheating and losing grip. However, they wore fast and were very dirty in terms of the amount of dust released.
I'm now going through their "green stuff". Also very good but not as quick as the yellow. Also very clean.

I want to test their "orange stuff". Did anyone try them yet?

I had to replace my two front disks so I also got EBC's and they have been holding quite well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
You can also run a few tests just by changing the pads.
I used EBC's "yellow stuff" and they would stop my JKU way faster than the stock pads and had virtually no issue with overheating and losing grip. However, they wore fast and were very dirty in terms of the amount of dust released.
I'm now going through their "green stuff". Also very good but not as quick as the yellow. Also very clean.

I want to test their "orange stuff". Did anyone try them yet?

I had to replace my two front disks so I also got EBC's and they have been holding quite well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

i'm using Wagner OEx , stop quick, they're holding up well and very little brake dust.

raginkgin1

This ^^^^

Doing a side by side test, I found that the TF kit will do a better job of stopping over stock BUT at the cost of nose diving and still didn't stop as well as ProGrips. For the cost and performance, the ProGrips are a better buy.

Just curious, is hard nose dive a suspension issue or a brake issue?

Top Bottom