Axle swap extras advise

desertrunner

Deconstruction of my front end has begun as my pr44 should be shipped by the end of this week. As I'm pulling apart everything on my D30 I'm just wondering while I already have this thing so torn apart what are some components I might as well replace while I'm at it. A few things come to mind but just want to get some advise on if I'm missing something.

Unit bearings - I feel like this would be a good time to throw in some timkens

Knuckles - don't see the need for new knuckles unless I'm missing something.

Tie rod - stock one is in good shape minus maybe the tie rod ends not sure if it would be worth getting new ends or just leave it.

Drag link - not planning on anything new with that until I someday do a drag link flip.

Drive shaft- already planning on 1350

Brakes - planning on leaving the stock ones in there for now and that's easy to upgrade later.

Anything else I'm missing that I might as well upgrade while I have it all torn apart?

Tie rod ends look a little rough
20171001_211000.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Forgot the track bar, at my current 1" lift height I don't need an adjustable one but I may end up throwing in 2" plush rides which should net around 3" might be worth it then?

And shocks I'm gonna have to wait until I see if I can set up my pr44 unlimited on 1" of lift.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Forgot the track bar, at my current 1" lift height I don't need an adjustable one but I may end up throwing in 2" plush rides which should net around 3" might be worth it then?

And shocks I'm gonna have to wait until I see if I can set up my pr44 unlimited on 1" of lift.

The unlimited PR44 comes with a raised tracbar bracket, unless you ordered it differently, so you shouldn't need an aftermarket tracbar. If you only have 1" of lift the axle might sit a little bit off center but should not be a big deal, once you get the taller springs it should center it up.

desertrunner

The unlimited PR44 comes with a raised tracbar bracket, unless you ordered it differently, so you shouldn't need an aftermarket tracbar. If you only have 1" of lift the axle might sit a little bit off center but should not be a big deal, once you get the taller springs it should center it up.
Good call I forgot about that, yeah when I asked dynatrac they said it has the raised mounting hole and a stock location hole so I should be good there.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
What control arms are you running? With only 1" of lift I wonder if the unlimited might push your caster too far. You might need some adjustable CA's to dial it back some? Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this can chime in as I'm just speculating here.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
You shouldn't have to mess with control arms with that low of a lift. As far as that tie rod, looks like the boot might be torn. If you don't have any play there, I would say just keep running it. If you're going to replace it, you can get an aftermarket assembly similar to stock for about 100 bucks. Or you can upgrade to several other stronger aftermarket tie rods if you want.

desertrunner

What control arms are you running? With only 1" of lift I wonder if the unlimited might push your caster too far. You might need some adjustable CA's to dial it back some? Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this can chime in as I'm just speculating here.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I am running stock control arms at the moment. I want to try and set the unlimited at this height with those arms, if I can't I'm going to buy adjustable uppers, if I still can't get it right I will toss in some 2" plush rides and call it a day I shouldn't have any issue setting it up at 3" of lift.
You shouldn't have to mess with control arms with that low of a lift. As far as that tie rod, looks like the boot might be torn. If you don't have any play there, I would say just keep running it. If you're going to replace it, you can get an aftermarket assembly similar to stock for about 100 bucks. Or you can upgrade to several other stronger aftermarket tie rods if you want.
All my boots look like that and I think it's mostly from me using a pickle fork to get them off the knuckle, it did push a some grease out of them and the boot seems a little loose but not terrible. Im thinking I'll just leave them be but just wanted to check if that was an absolutely replace them kinda situation.

Top Bottom